Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I give up! There is no stopping this! :)

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 01:52 PM
That's it...I give up! There's too many updates to tell you guys so I'm just gonna make this thread...mwahahaha

So Leo "attacked" me with purrs this morning along with the other two little kitties. He's also been eating and stuff more too. I've been trying to feed him the vet food that was given to us but he won't touch it! I put him down some wet Performatrin and he turned his nose up at it too. I put down the last can of Authority I had and he pounced on it like there was nothing else in the world (and then proceeded to eat the Fancy Feast that is SUPPOSED to be for Dart).

I'm trying to keep Pawz away from the wet food but so far it isn't working. I think it might be the Nutro that is causing the super soft/diarrhea-like poops but I can't figure out how Pawz is pooping because the idget won't poop in front of me! I swear he holds it all day until I go to bed just so I don't see him! :frustrated: Of course when he poops in the litter I still can't tell whether its too soft or not because the litter absorbs the moisture. (where's that head bashing smiley when you need him?) I tell you Pawz I will watch you poop one of these days and soon, even if it means locking you and me into my room without the other cats and watching every time you start scratching at the litter!! Mwahaha. The vet thinks it might be the food and if it is then I'm supposed to put him on vet food. Of course considering the amazing enthusiasm Leo's been eating it I don't think it'll work. :p

:offtopic: (Just a minor rant about food and the cats...I have my solution already (see last paragraph)) I'm having feeding issues with all the cats.

Pawz will instead go for Dart's food (the Fancy Feast or the Royal Canin). *sigh* So you ask: "why not put Dart and his food where they can't get it?" Reason: Dart won't eat his food unless its in the kitchen. So you ask: "why not put up Dart's food once he's done with it?" Reason: Because Dart still won't touch his food because he's too busy eating OURS.

So the logical choice is to put up both cat's foods...so I do...until they meow at me because they're hungry...and they all get hungry at the same time...and they all eat each other's food...and its slowly driving me up the wall :frustrated: lol

The next logical step being to seperate out all the food and lock the cats in different rooms. I tried that. Leo won't eat unless its in the kitchen. Dart if locked in the bedroom/bathroom will meow and meow and meow until we get him out AND won't eat any of the food. *insert anime tears* So when I do that I end up starving them all...eck.

So I have given up with the food. Free for all. And if Dart ends up getting used to the "good" stuff, well so be it. My boys will just have to figure out that they aren't going to get Fancy Feast as a diet!

Megan

jiorji
August 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
i know you're already doing this, putting the food away because they eat from each other's bowls. That's the thing with cats and other pets too i'm sure, but you HAVE to monitor. You have to sit there and watch them eat and make sure they eat from the specific bowl. Otehrwise you'll end up with a fat cat and a skinny one or underweight one, because cats will eat anything and much more.

as for the meowing that they're hungry....I'm sorry but they have to learn that feeding time is only in the morning, noon at night, otehrwise no food. If one eats his food faster and there's no more, when the others eat it'll be harder to keep him away. My cat meows for food too and i give it to her because she seems a bit too thin for me, but when "cat-on-diet" comes along I have to grab her and confuse her until Twiggy finishes.

and i hope you don't feed overnight as they'll free feed

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 02:52 PM
When it comes to the dry food I give them one little scoop/day and only refill the bowl/plate when there's all but none left. By little scoop I mean its about 4oz for the two cats. I make sure they have some overnight but for the most part they aren't getting that much. If there isn't enough in there to last then the night I give a partial scoop only or if I do give them a full one I won't refill the bowl until late in the day (like midnightish). They never really have more than one scoop each day to free feed on and for the most part there's usually quite a bit of food left (so I'm not always filling it up at noon or whatever it sort of rotates). I don't think that's too much...is it?

Pawz is skinnier than Leo but I think it also has to do with his build: Leo was bred for the outdoors, a barn cat physique while Pawz is "wirey" and lean. I'm a bit worried about Pawz's weight but more so because I keep comparing the two of them. :o The vet isn't worried about his weight. I'm just really worried because Pawz's has had this diarrhea thing.

As for wet food, I've been cutting down on what I've been giving them. They're actually down to less than a 7oz can a day (between the two of them) because I've only been giving a spoonful or two in the mornings and maybe one at night. Right now I'm trying to make sure that Pawz isn't getting any so I can rule it out as the cause of the diarrhea. I only let Leo eat as much as he did earlier because he hasn't eaten a darn thing in about 48 hours (which is why the vet visit on Thursday). I am quite happy that he's eating again and I'm going to make sure he doesn't overeat.

I looked at the labels of the food and well scarily enough the Performatrin isn't that good...I can't believe I bought it...*shudder* I'll have to get the boys off of it and figure out what to do with the rest of the cans...I'll figure something out with the foods...bah...I suppose that its an eye opener to know that Leo won't touch the Performatrin at all...I should probably be listening to them huh?

I asked the vet what they would reccomend...the Science Diet and if not that Eukanuba... O.o The scary part is that looking at the Eunkanuba ingredients online looks a hell of a lot better than the Performatrin stuff...:S

As to the meowing...I don't normally feed them when they meow, but its rather annoying when I do go to feed them seperately and then they meow at me to get out of the room...Pawz and Leo HATE being seperated...I've all but run over one or the other when one's been at the vet as I get in the house! They almost never meow at me when they're hungry because I usually figure out they are hungry before then :p.

As for Dart...well he's gonna have to wait for a few days because none of the vets can see him today/are closed...*sigh* I sold my MP3 player to pay for the vet bill once I get a chance to get him in...the boyfriend doesn't agree that I should be paying 80 some dollars for a vet visit for a cat who we might not ever see again...I can see his point but I also don't want Dart to be put to sleep because he's sick...

Arron doesn't actually think he's sick and figures that all Becky's gonna do is get Dart's first shots out of us and never do anything about it...he thinks it might be allergies but I haven't heard of kittens having allergies...can they get allergies (say to pollen or whatever)?

Either way I'll ask for the money back from Becky and she'll pay...I will make sure of it...:mad:

Megan

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Beasties don't generally cough and sneeze like humans do when they get allergies.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Performatrin Kitten Food Ingredients....(I just thought I'd mention that I'm paying more for a can of this than the Authority stuff too)

Sufficient Water for processing, meat by-products, poultry by-products, animal liver, ocean fish, rice flour, guar gum, dried skimmed milk, salt, potassium chloride, carrageenan, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E, A, D3, B12 supplements, thiamin mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), taurine.

OK now I'm seriously wondering about my intelligence....so much for making a step forward...

Authority Chicken and Liver Kitten food:

Chicken Broth, Chicken, Turkey, Chicken Liver, Ocean fish, brewers rice, egg product, dried beet pulp, guar gum, salt, brewers dried yeast, carrageenan, taurine, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin E, A, D3, B12 supplements, thiamin mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), Minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), potassium chloride.

I had the other kind of Authority too but no more cans now...:( I just can't carry all those cans 1/2 way across the city...I'm rather weak and it too is something I need to work on...I probably shouldn't have switched...I'll see what else there is at Pet Valu and maybe find something a bit better for the boys than this...stuff...

Megan

jiorji
August 26th, 2006, 03:43 PM
I make sure they have some overnight but for the most part they aren't getting that much. If there isn't enough in there to last then the night I give a partial scoop only or if I do give them a full one I won't refill the bowl until late in the day (like midnightish). They never really have more than one scoop each day to free feed on and for the most part there's usually quite a bit of food left (so I'm not always filling it up at noon or whatever it sort of rotates). I don't think that's too much...is it?

Megan

see you can't do that. How do you know they both eat equally? Cats are cats, they eat what they see and don't stop and think "wait, this isn't my bowl"
I bet you anything that teh chubbier cat eats more than the thin one. I'm no picking on you i'm telling you because it happened to me. Now i am stuck with a cat that just won't lose weight. You have to stick the the amount recommended on the food bag, and if by 4pm there's barely any there, then too bad, they wait til the next day. Otherwise they WILL get fat.

I actually sit and watch them eat until they're done. If skinny walks off, fatty moves over to skinny's bowl and eats from it, regardless if she has food in her bowl or not. The bugger realized skinny's bowl has regular food :evil:

so anyway, now I don't leave out any food at night. They get offered food before I go sleep(IF there's anything left of their daily portion), and if they refuse they have to wait until 5-6am when I get woken up by meows. ANd when that happens, i start off a new daily portion, that way what they didn't eat previously is part of the new daily and no extra food gets eaten.

So if you can try to make up an eating schedule or you'll go nuts later trying to get someone to lose excess weight.

:cat:

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I agree with jiorji....you need to start laying down some rules with your cats and the way you feed them. :D

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 04:32 PM
lol so much for this being an update thread....:p

I got a food thread up now....looking for something better than the **** I've been feeding them...Who knew feeding cats would be this hard?! Arrg.

Well Leo's passed out once again but this time I'm not so worried (since the other two are passed out as well)...this means that the house is FINALLY quiet (since the boyfriend went to work, Becky's not here, and the cats are out like lights)...

I really wish Pawz would poop in front of me...actually come to think of it I haven't actually seen him poop...well at least there's no radioactive smell coming from either litters right now so something must be working!

I've stopped covering the litter box and I'm debating moving it into the corner by the bathroom (provided I ever get that cleaned out) so it won't actually be IN the bathroom but it won't be in the middle of the living room. So far they've seemed to not mind the random moving of the litter boxes (like if I've moved it to clean it or what have you) so I think they should be fine with this move. I'm vaguely debating keping the other litter box (might even give her 5 bucks for it) but I'm just not sure where I'd put it (especially if I moved their original one to that corner)...

I've also realised that I must come across as only having money in the forefront and not worrying as much about the pets themselves...I'm really not like that I just worry too much about money (among other things) and I just don't know what I would do if I ran out of money completely...I need to budget food and litter and stuff but its hard to do so when there's random "OMG the cat's sick" expenses on top of it.

As soon as I get a job I'm going to add another 50 bucks on top of my expenses and get them some bloody insurance. Maybe that way I won't have to worry about it so much. Of course mom and dad hate the idea because they figure that they won't pay out like regular insurance companies. Of course mom and dad hate that I still have the cats and wish I hadn't gotten them...actually now that I think of it Mom and dad pretty much hate everything about my life...fun!

Look now my thread's turned into random babbling....this just keeps getting better and better! lol

Megan

chico2
August 26th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Well Megan,you might be ranting,but you keep me laughing:D :cat:

jiorji
August 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
I've stopped covering the litter box and I'm debating moving it into the corner by the bathroom (provided I ever get that cleaned out) so it won't actually be IN the bathroom but it won't be in the middle of the living room.
Megan

my kitties' litter box stays in the bathroom. It belongs with the other bathroom smells if you ask me. Although it doesn't really smell. But you know in case there's an accident you want it happening on the small bathroom rugs not the living room rug.:yuck: hehe

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Yeah, how many threads have you got going now? :D

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 06:38 PM
lol

*bows* I live to make people laugh (it is one of the few talents I do have)

well we have hardwood flooring so the accidents always happen on it (the poor poor floor). Unfortunately (from recent experience) having the litter box in the bathroom is well...impossible...well not without stepping on tracked litter all over! (That and I still have to go talk to the super)

:p I just like to inform you guys...and well I'm making up for all the time I should have been asking these questions and not! :p

Hah you're stuck with me! By the end of the next twenty years you guys'll be sick of me! lol

Megan

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 11:41 PM
I'm still waiting for a certain nameless kitty to poop in front of me...still waiting...I could be here a while...lol

Leo on the other hand is doing much much better :) He's scratching the post and stuff like he normally does and gets up on his favorite spots again...:) I'm so happy!

Megan

dtbmnec
August 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
VICTORY IS MINE!!!!!!!! Mwahahaha

I have watched Pawz poop! *happy dance* the even better news is that it looks good :) but I still have to keep an eye on it for the next few days. Hopefully next week he can be tossed in the carrier and taken to the vet! :D

Leo is definately back to his old self again. :) The little beast tried running out the door again...maybe I should just stick the harness on him for the rest of his life...he tends to not want to move when its on! lol

Megan

dogmelissa
August 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM
As soon as I get a job I'm going to add another 50 bucks on top of my expenses and get them some bloody insurance. Maybe that way I won't have to worry about it so much. Of course mom and dad hate the idea because they figure that they won't pay out like regular insurance companies.
Megan

Just wanted to respond to this; you'd probably be better off putting that $50/month into a "cat savings" account (preferably one that pays a little interest) rather than paying it to an insurance company. Most cats, especially indoor-only cats, won't get sick with what's covered on insurance, and probably won't have any "accidents" (injuries) which may or may not be covered. Plus since you've already had all these issues with them, your insurance company (which has the right to request vet records; they do this to ensure you're getting your vaccines, but also to find things they can exclude) will probably tell you that they have a pre-existing condition (undiagnosed) and then you've basically just thrown away your money. Most insurance companies will do everything in their power to take your money and never pay it back. There are a few threads here about pet insurance, and trust me, I have 3 cats, and if I'd been paying even $10/month/cat on insurance the whole time I've had them, I'd have paid about 100x more than I've spent on "unexpected cat expenses". In the 7 years I've had my girls (who, to be fair, came to me as adults), I've spent $300 on "unnecessary" things--Aubrie had been peeing on the floor worse than usual and I took her in for urinalysis, blood work and very thorough screening, to find out that it's all behavioural. Rusty I've spent maybe $50 on "unexpected" things, and that's only because she's a polydactyl and had an ingrown claw. So I would've paid $1680 for the girls (at $10/month each which is about half quotes I've gotten), and got back $0. Taz I've had for 3 years (since he was a kitten) and the only "unexpected" cost was the day I came home to find bloody diarrhea dripping out of him, and the trip to the emergency vets cost me less than $200 (including meds & special food). This was over a year ago, so if I'd paid in $10/month from the time I got him, I would've spent $240--which I might have gotten back. But then he would have been labelled with a "pre-existing condition", and if he got diarrhea again no matter what the cause, I'd be getting back zero. I spend more than some people on food, partially because Taz is what I consider "special needs", and I've spent lots of money on solving behavioural things, none of which are covered by insurance.
I hear you on money, but trust me when I tell you that insurance for kitties is a big fat waste. Spend it on better food and regular vet care and you'll *save* money overall. By the time the kitties get old enough that they need some of the specialized care that insurance might pay for (cancer, age-related illnesses, etc), you'll have a good job and enough money that you don't worry about it--especially if you put that $50 every month away!
$50/month over a year is $600... times 10 years is $6000, not including interest! How's that for a waste of money, if all you "get back" is $300 when they're 10 years old?

Just my two cents, though... do what you'd like with your money.

Melissa

dtbmnec
August 28th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Just wanted to respond to this; you'd probably be better off putting that $50/month into a "cat savings" account (preferably one that pays a little interest) rather than paying it to an insurance company. Most cats, especially indoor-only cats, won't get sick with what's covered on insurance, and probably won't have any "accidents" (injuries) which may or may not be covered. Plus since you've already had all these issues with them, your insurance company (which has the right to request vet records; they do this to ensure you're getting your vaccines, but also to find things they can exclude) will probably tell you that they have a pre-existing condition (undiagnosed) and then you've basically just thrown away your money. Most insurance companies will do everything in their power to take your money and never pay it back. There are a few threads here about pet insurance, and trust me, I have 3 cats, and if I'd been paying even $10/month/cat on insurance the whole time I've had them, I'd have paid about 100x more than I've spent on "unexpected cat expenses". In the 7 years I've had my girls (who, to be fair, came to me as adults), I've spent $300 on "unnecessary" things--Aubrie had been peeing on the floor worse than usual and I took her in for urinalysis, blood work and very thorough screening, to find out that it's all behavioural. Rusty I've spent maybe $50 on "unexpected" things, and that's only because she's a polydactyl and had an ingrown claw. So I would've paid $1680 for the girls (at $10/month each which is about half quotes I've gotten), and got back $0. Taz I've had for 3 years (since he was a kitten) and the only "unexpected" cost was the day I came home to find bloody diarrhea dripping out of him, and the trip to the emergency vets cost me less than $200 (including meds & special food). This was over a year ago, so if I'd paid in $10/month from the time I got him, I would've spent $240--which I might have gotten back. But then he would have been labelled with a "pre-existing condition", and if he got diarrhea again no matter what the cause, I'd be getting back zero. I spend more than some people on food, partially because Taz is what I consider "special needs", and I've spent lots of money on solving behavioural things, none of which are covered by insurance.
I hear you on money, but trust me when I tell you that insurance for kitties is a big fat waste. Spend it on better food and regular vet care and you'll *save* money overall. By the time the kitties get old enough that they need some of the specialized care that insurance might pay for (cancer, age-related illnesses, etc), you'll have a good job and enough money that you don't worry about it--especially if you put that $50 every month away!
$50/month over a year is $600... times 10 years is $6000, not including interest! How's that for a waste of money, if all you "get back" is $300 when they're 10 years old?

Just my two cents, though... do what you'd like with your money.

Melissa

Hmmm actually good idea...I shall have to make my savings account into that then instead of a rent one (I can pay rent through my checking)...hmmm when you put it that way...

Ok. Thanks.

Megan

P.S. They are finally getting the hang of the feeding schedule (though there's not much in the way of schedule at the moment) I suppose that its less of what times/number of times they eat and more of the amount that I have to watch.

chico2
August 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Megan,you are learning:thumbs up
Kitties are really not that difficult to figure out,once you got the hang of it,you will be a little less paranoid:D
I am glad the poop turned out ok!
As for insurance,I have looked in to it,but with 3 cats it's just too much money and does not cover your yearly expences,vacs,exams etc..
As it is,we are not "starving students":D and if an emergency should happen with any of my cats,we will deal with it.
However,in your case,having a"kitty-account"at the bank is a great idea!

dtbmnec
August 31st, 2006, 10:47 AM
Hmm this is true Chico...:)

lol I think I'll always be paranoid...thankfully there are few unexplored places in the house anymore so I sort of know where they are at all times...:)

Still waiting on the next poop from Pawz....little guy still has "performance issues" or something doing it in front of me lol

I finally figured out how to give Leo and Pawz their pills (and I am so thankful for the piller device thing). lol it *only* requires sitting on top of them :p hehe did it this morning with Leo :) Sit, shove pill down throat, make him drink water and all is good :) I always give him treats afterwards too :) so he doesn't mind so much :p

Megan

badger
August 31st, 2006, 11:23 AM
Megan, the alpha thing works equally well with cats, doncha know.
Spread those loud, menacing NO!!!s around (instead of 'whatcha doing up there, sweetheart?' I know, I've been there :)).
Remember, YOU are the boss and your cats need to know that. After awhile, they do internalize that certain places are OK and others most definitely are not.
I love my cats to death, but if I didn't drop into 'Sergeant Major mode' when needed, it would be chaos around here.

rainbow
August 31st, 2006, 02:39 PM
I agree with that. My cats have rules just like my dogs do. And, they definitely know what the words "get down" mean. :D

chico2
August 31st, 2006, 04:32 PM
Oh for sure,Rocky who occasionally sprays,is not allowed in the livingroom,Vinnie and Chico are.
Rocky is an amazing cat(except for spraying)he will lay at the doorway to the livingroom and doesn't go one step further.Mind you that's hubby's room,I am in my den watching TV and Rocky usually ends up right beside me,comfy and happy:cat:

dtbmnec
September 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM
As to the climbing....well nothing's fallen off lately...hehe but so far as I can tell they really aren't doing that as much...they're into other stuff now...:frustrated:

:frustrated: Well everyone's having soft poops now....Pawz is still having them....Dart had some the other day....and now LEO TOO!!!!!! Arrrrrrrrrrrrgggg.

The only thing I can think of is that it is the Nutro (Dart was exposed earlier but now isn't) or that they're getting into something they shouldn't be/I'm not noticing. I just can't figure out what it is though...I mean I could change the food to the best possible food for them and they could still all be sick from something!

I don't have any plants....Chemicals are stored away where they can't get it....I haven't actually *cleaned* the place in about three months (if even then) because I don't know how it would affect the cats (I do sweep so it is clean its just not chemically cleaned)....We put in the work order with the super earlier this week and hopefully he'll get to it sometime this week/next week so I've removed the towels....I just don't know!

My suspicions are the following:
1) It IS the Nutro: If this is the case in 8 weeks I'll find out. Unfortunately because Leo is still eating the Nutro I haven't got anything else to give him (at least until next Friday when I might be able to buy different food for him/Pawz).

2) They're licking the floor where the towel used to be which could very well be moldy. Which means that the only solution is to not let them in there (which is a good idea for the cats but a bad one for us/apartment since after showers it gets hot and there really isn't a vent in there...hence MORE mold)

Reasons why it can't be:
1) Leo NEVER had a reaction to it before being neutered. He IS still on antibiotics so that could be causing it (though I haven't seen any mooshy poop before this from him).

2) The towel is gone...they haven't had access to the bathroom for a good two or three months (after I realised that the towel might be affecting Pawz)...so that doesn't explain Pawz!

I suppose it could be a combination of the two things too....I just don't know....and there's no real way to find out now is there? *sigh* I just don't want to leave Leo with diarrhea for the next two months as well....

Megan

P.S. The little buggers overturned my BIG garbage can. I can't fit it under the sink or anything and I need the big garbage can so I can put all the little bags in it from elsewhere in the house. They keep overturning it and I can't figure out how to stop them (they never do it when I'm looking so it'll be at night or when all of us are out that they'll do this). The only thing I can think of is that they're hungry (smell the old cans of food) but I do feed them at least three times a day and stick them in seperate rooms for at least ten minutes (longer if they aren't meowing...soon as they start meowing they stop eating and won't go back to eating either...I tried that). After the food comes up I never put it back down again and they always want more food (all three of them). :frustrated: