Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat question

bubbasmommy
February 3rd, 2004, 09:29 PM
:(
I am worried to death about one of my cats....I noticed yesterday that he has a bunch of blood in his stools....I took him to the vet immediately and his stools are being tested now. He's also lost most of the fur on the right shoulder area. He started losing his fur right after I added a puppy to my house--he's a really high-strung cat and has lot fur before during times of change. When I moved he went through a period where he lost fur and had blood in his stools and it went away. My question: Is it possible that this is just a reaction to stress or is blood in the stool usually something really serious? I'm so incredibly frightened for him and I don't really know what to do.:(

Lucky Rescue
February 3rd, 2004, 10:19 PM
Oh, poor kitty! Try not to panic til you hear from the vet.

If your cat is high-strung and thin-skinned, he may be licking his fur off in reaction to stress.

Do you have a room you can keep the dog out of? A place where your cat can retreat to for some peace and quiet? That may help him.

Let us know what the vet says!

bubbasmommy
February 4th, 2004, 07:22 AM
I keep the upstairs and the downstairs portions of my house gated off so that my cats always have a place to escape to. They spend a lot of their time in my bedroom when the puppy is out of his kennel. I'm not home during the day so the puppy is in a kennel (except for the hour that I come home at lunch) so the cats have free reign then. My cat *seems* fine--cold nose, no hiding, affectionate, social etc. But the blood in the stools and the look of absolute pain on his face when he came out of his litter box was more than I could take :( I cannot even stand to think about it :( He is a REALLY high-strung cat and even poohed in his box on the way to the vet because he hates any kind of change so much (He's a Capricorn! They don't deal well with change). I am really hoping that this is just a reaction to the puppy--the vet was not sure and thought it best to wait for the stool sample as nothing else appeared wrong with Alister. Having pets is SUCH an affair of the heart :( says this worried sick mommy.

bubbasmommy
February 5th, 2004, 12:27 PM
My vet thinks that my cat may have an irritable bowel....he has no parasites in his stools and the stools were sufficiently hard that he thought that the bleeding may have been caused by constipation. He also thinks that anxiety may be playing a role. Right now, my cat is taking laxatives and an anti-anxiety gel that gets rubbed on the inside of his ear. If the bloody stools don't go away, my vet says that he will consider further procedures after 7-10 days. Given the fact that there are no other symptoms and that my cat is still affectionate and playful and that his stools are not soft/runny, he does not think that it is serious at this point, but said that he would be worried if the bloody stool does not clear up. I am hopeful for now!