Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fostering Dart ??

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 01:57 AM
FOSTERING.... How do you guys who do foster take care of the animals (duh food and water yes I'm looking more for who's paying for what)? I am OPEN to fostering Dart, I simply can't afford to do it all on my own (emergency trips fine I could handle...getting ALL the shots done and the neutering for a third cat I can't afford on my own). Do you guys see what I mean?

Like I had said...I got Pawz from a rescue and IF I got in touch with them and IF they let me foster I'd be willing to do that...I'm looking at the policies kind of thing more so....Again aware that every rescue is different but I want to hear differing opinions/ways of doing....OF course I will talk to the rescue but I want to hear things first...*sigh*

And no I shouldn't have gotten the cats but I have and I will take them to the vet when sick etc. I simply wasn't expecting a certain other kitty to cause so many problems. I will figure out how to find the money in time and while I won't sell myself on the street corner I'll do everything I can even so. I could have used my tax refund for rent or bils or something but instead I used it to prepay the boys getting neutered (Pawz has yet to go in though...silly kitty).

Megan

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:06 AM
The thing is, being that he lives with you, it's like asking the rescue to pay for you to foster your own cat. They've got even less money than you. They're not going to do that. You either surrender the cat completely, or you take care of it completely.

I'm aware she's a bad owner but she should at least have SOMETHING to say about what happens to him (SPCA vs. rescue vs. taking him to the vet anyway to get him help and HOPING she comes up with the money in a few weeks vs. whatever else).IMO, it's not about if she will come up with the money later. It's about helping this cat. Screw the money. Seriously.

I wasn't aware that vet offices wouldn't give out deworming meds to random cats....or at least I wasn't aware that mine would have such a rule...Meds are meds. If you called up a random doctor and said "Can I have a prescription for morphine? I'm have severe pain," Do you think the dr is really going to fax over a prescription? Deworming meds are very harsh meds. Giving them inappropriately could seriously harm an animal and whoever gave you the pills would be responsible.

I'm not trying to risk my two's lives...Well, you are. And I'm sorry, but waiting around for this girl to get her ass into gear is not going to help anything. She's ON YOUR COUCH! What about this situation tells you that she's going to take action about anything?!

In the end, this board is supportive about a lot of things, but we're all here because we REALLY care about animals. If I was in your shoes, I would be posting an update from the vet I went to last week.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 02:18 AM
Prin: Ok well then...I didn't think of the fostering thing that way...fine...I'll figure something out...

I can't screw the money in her case because she already owes me far too much...its a case of needing the money back or my parents will kill me...my "money" as it were is tied in with my parents to the point where if either of them lost a job or I couldn't make a payment I'd be bringing down the ENTIRETY of my family...that's what happens when I'm 40 grand in debt with nothing to show for it...but we won't get into that too much...

Again I was thinking deworming meds were like I dunno Benadryl or something you can get without a perscription (Tylenol, whatever). I'm not totally aware of how harsh those meds are. Now I know.

She probably won't take much action, but again if I can get Dart into the no kill shelter it might be better for him (he's rather cute). If I can get her to agree in writing to pay me back for vet bills then I will damn well do that. If she won't take action I will but I want her opinion on a few things first.

I did post updates about Pawz....I'm wondering if it was the dry food all along so I've been cutting out the wet (it shouldn't hurt him for a few days to not have wet) just in case it was the Nutro. I had randomly figured out that he's had this all along and they've been on the Nutro all along...so if I take out the wet and he gets better its the wet...if he doesn't, then its the dry...problem solved without an allergy formula. If its the dry I'll have to figure out what to do with the stuff we have left (90% of a ten pound bag) and then switch them out to something else (maybe something without corn or whatever). If its inconclusive...he doesn't get better then we'll have to change that instead...(again figuring out what to do with the old stuff).

He's got about three days left of his pill taking (I finally got a piller and MY Gosh my fingers feel better :p) and then we have to wait about 72 hours after that to have him done. I'm going to wait a little longer just in case he does have worms, so the order of business is 1) finish this off, see if its the wet or dry 2) wait a few days to give the dewormers (since Leo shouldn't have them right away we have to wait till about Tuesday/Wednesday of next week) and then the ten days or two weeks for the second dose 3) In about three weeks or so get poor Pawz to go through all this stuff again. BY that time, Dart will be gone (or made better), Leo should be spunky again, I will no longer be bashing my head against the wall in frustration and stress and all will be good in the world.

Leo is doing better...he has/had a fever so we got some antibiotics for him....He doesn't like taking them (he's even more squirmy than Pawz) and I am well and truly grateful for the piller with him :p He seems to have a biting penchant! :p He's much more active today and he can actually jump up on stuff again (like the couch) though getting down is still a little hard for him...he actually chased after a ball I tossed so he's slowly becoming more active :)...he nibbled on some food today a few times (he wasn't the other day) and he's been drinking too....I feel much better about him now :) He perks up at the treat bags/tupperware being shaken so that's a good sign too :) (hah let's see you two get into tupperware! mwahaha)

Megan

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:27 AM
Again I was thinking deworming meds were like I dunno Benadryl or something you can get without a perscription (Tylenol, whatever). I'm not totally aware of how harsh those meds are. Now I know.Just so you know, just because something is over-the-counter, it doesn't mean it's safe. One tylenol can kill a cat. And Benadryl is not without it's fair share of side effects either. Meds are meds. ;)

Are the wet and dry foods the same ingredients? Because then if you cut out the wet and nothing happens, the wet might still be a cause too.

Just try to clean every surface Dart has been on that Leo might go on. If Dart has a respiratory virus, even if Leo was vaccinated for it, he might be susceptible because being weakened by his neutering.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 02:31 AM
Just so you know, just because something is over-the-counter, it doesn't mean it's safe. One tylenol can kill a cat. And Benadryl is not without it's fair share of side effects either. Meds are meds. ;)

Are the wet and dry foods the same ingredients? Because then if you cut out the wet and nothing happens, the wet might still be a cause too.

Just try to clean every surface Dart has been on that Leo might go on. If Dart has a respiratory virus, even if Leo was vaccinated for it, he might be susceptible because being weakened by his neutering.

Hmmm ok...looks like a house cleaning is in order...bah the floors needed to be done anyway :p

Well I wasn't going to give Tylenol to the cats...I mean Tylenol for humans you don't need a perscription...heh

Wet: Performatrin

Dry: Nutro kitten

Funny thing...I looked up performatrin online and I can only see the ultra stuff, not the regular stuff...strange that...I'll get the actual ingredients tomorrow morning when I'm awake-ish more...*writes note to remind herself*

:)

Megan

P.S. To the rest of you....I wouldn't mind finding more out about the fostering though....even if I can't do it now soemthing to keep in mind in the future :)

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:35 AM
The not-ultra one isn't as good, so they probably hide it.

(btw, I know you weren't giving your kitties tylenol, but I wanted to make sure that people know it's not safe. Even for humans- it can still damage kidneys and things.:shrug: No such thing as a safe drug...)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 02:49 AM
Well I wasn't going to give Tylenol to the cats...I mean Tylenol for humans you don't need a perscription...heh

Tylenol can cause liver failure in large amounts, and in normal amounts if the liver is already damaged or not fully functional, or if taken with alcohol and there are underlying liver problems. It can also cause liver damage with chronic use, like if you're taking it every single day for an extended amount of time. (and yes I mean in humans)
Over the counter does not = safe.
You can get over the counter deworming meds, but they're not any safer than the stuff from the vet and usually ineffective. Really it depends on the vets ethics whether they prescribe it or not without actually seeing the pet. My vet will give me deworming meds without me bringing the animal in.

If you don't have enough money to take care of the cat, I would either find a foster to take it or find someone that you know will take care of it and can give it proper medical care.
Inform the owner of the cat that she has a certain amount of time (say 2-4 weeks, but I wouldn't go less than 2 weeks) to remove the cat from your care. Inform her that if she doesn't remove the cat within this amount of time you're going to give the cat to a foster or to someone else.
I dunno about there, but here people aren't legally allowed to leave their animals with you for however long they want. If you payed for medical care or anything else for the cat they're actually liable for reimbursement. You're also legally allowed to give them a time frame to remove the animal or else it becomes your decision as to what to do with it.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:53 AM
My vet will give me deworming meds without me bringing the animal in.But your vet has seen your animals before, right? If you called him up and said "I have a new cat who has worms, can you give me some dewormer?" I doubt he'd agree without giving the new one a once-over..

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 03:04 AM
No he's seen my cats before, and as much money as we've spent and as many meds as he's prescribed to our animals, I assume he figures we won't O.D our kitties or something.
Some vets won't give ANYONE meds no matter what unless they bring the cats in though.
Some vets will give out deworming meds if you just know the cats weight and stuff though, so like I said, it depends on their ethics.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Yeah, the vet I worked for wouldn't give heartworm meds without re-seeing the animal, but IMO that was a money grab.:(

:sorry: :offtopic:

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 03:11 AM
If you don't have enough money to take care of the cat, I would either find a foster to take it or find someone that you know will take care of it and can give it proper medical care.
Inform the owner of the cat that she has a certain amount of time (say 2-4 weeks, but I wouldn't go less than 2 weeks) to remove the cat from your care. Inform her that if she doesn't remove the cat within this amount of time you're going to give the cat to a foster or to someone else.
I dunno about there, but here people aren't legally allowed to leave their animals with you for however long they want. If you payed for medical care or anything else for the cat they're actually liable for reimbursement. You're also legally allowed to give them a time frame to remove the animal or else it becomes your decision as to what to do with it.

Well again the owner needs to get her rear in gear and get a bloody job. I'm probably not going to give her any more than another 2 or 3 weeks on the couch and Dart is going to have to go with her (or to foster...etc). If she does try to dump him on me (and by dump I mean an "oh dear I forgot he was with you" dump) I will pursue some sort of action. Again she already owes me several hundred dollars and I have sent an email to my parents (which I recieved from her dad with HER confirmation) to that effect. But that's beside the point I suppose. I am getting rather fed up with her and her antics (and so is her family apparently).

I wasn't aware there were any laws/legalities that would give me such powers...right now she's away at a friend's place for a few days and was supposed to come back today but didn't for some screwed up reason (drama between friends/ex I believe).

I would give it to a friend, however I haven't many friends (I find it hard to make friends...surprisingly). 1/2 of them still live with their parents (now I want a homecooked meal...phooey) and so abide by the parental rules, another pair of friends are too busy putting their lives down the drain (think teen pregnancy), and the other friends are well her and her ex (who isn't allowed pets where he's staying). That about covers my local friends and my friends "at home" are even worse. I make such wonderful friends don't I?

When I wrote my first thread I had just come back from learning that she wasn't going to show today after staying home with the boyfriend on one of his few days off (the fact that he got friday off was amazing in and of itself too). I would have gone to a movie or something with him, however I had to stay home to make sure she got in the door ok. I really do apologize for making it sound how it did (that it was all the pets fault or whatever and I'm a total moron for allowing it this far, etc.). Whenever I hear news (good or ill) I react emotionally first and then cool off and think about it. Especially true with ill news that gets me mad: I flare up really really bad and rant and rave to then calm down in a few minutes/hours/whatever to then think logically.

Smiley14
August 26th, 2006, 03:34 AM
Megan, I hate to say it, but I think your friend is only taking advantage of you, both with herself and with her cat. Speaking from experience, you cannot, I repeat, cannot help someone who first and foremost does not want to help herself. You need to set a short deadline for her to be out of the apartment. She will only continue to come up with excuse after excuse, if only to buy herself another week or even another day of living without responsibility. I would also do everything you can to keep Dart from going with her. At this point, I really do believe a rescue organization is Dart's best and only option. Respiratory infections in kittens is an EMERGENCY situation. That cat needs medical attention NOW. Dart and hence your kitties are the ones suffering in this horrible situation. A rescue can medically treat and re-home Dart to someone who can properly care for him since you are finacially unable to do so and your friend is not morally or mentally and certainly not financially able to do so.
I hate to say it, but at this point, you are only enabling her and the situation. And I mean that in the sincerest way, because I have seen it firsthand. You need to take immediate charge. Set a deadline, surrender Dart so the poor thing can finally get the medical care he so desperately needs, and then get both your kitties to your vet for their deworming med. To put it bluntly, they are all dead if don't. They are the ones unfairly suffering. It breaks my heart, and I believe it breaks yours too else you wouldn't come here about it. But it's time to stop talking and start taking action. I have faith that you will do the right thing!

Steph

badger
August 26th, 2006, 04:22 AM
I agree that IF you can find a rescue that will take him, it would be better for the cat, definitely. I remember when you only wanted one cat, then why not two, and then...whoa nelly! you're headed for rescue territory. Not saying it's not worth it, just best done with eyes wide open.

I really hope you find someone to take him on, so jump on the phone later today and start calling rescues and anyone who has a connection to one (your vet?).

More than likely they will NOT take the cat while it is sick so you will probably have to keep him until he completes one course of antibiotics (10 days - 2 weeks), and has recovered. The fact that he is intact may also be a problem. Rescues usually have access to cheap vets, you could offer to pay for part or all of the procedure, in exchange for them taking him on.

Personally, if you find a sympathetic rescue and make arrangements to give the cat up, I would not tell your friend. I'm sure she'll be more than happy to leave him with you 'until he's better'. After that, she won't care, oh she'll put up a big show but it'll all be smoke and mirrors, clearly she doesn't give a damn.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 12:03 PM
My worry is exactly this though: That I *am* going to have to take poor Dart to the vet and pay for it all before giving him up because my friend won't do it. I mean it really is looking like I'm going to have to pay for it as it is. I'm not sure I'll be able to find the money but I suppose I'll have to find it anyway. We have to wait until Monday to take him because my vet is closed for the rest of today and all of tomorrow. I'll take a look at the Yellow Pages and see if I can find a vet that's still open/open tomorrow.

I am aware that she's using me and the boyfriend and I have agreed that she's got about another week before she's gotta go. I don't mind storing her stuff until she gets an actual place to live but I can't store her on the couch for too much longer. Its simply too much stress on top of everything else for me to deal with.

:offtopic: I woke up this morning to being "attacked" by three bundles of fur! Yes three! :) Leo's coming around :) and he just ate some of the dry food in my room, slurped at the water, and started chasing one of the four catnip balls (well a litle bit anyway)! Megan is the happy!! He still won't touch the wet food the vet gave us to give him (my smart little boy!) so that's kinda funny!

Megan

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 01:18 PM
I wasn't aware there were any laws/legalities that would give me such powers...

I'm from the U.S so I can't be for sure, but most places have similar laws. You should be able to call a lawyer and get them to tell you for free what the law is.
Just tell them you're thinking about persuing legal action against your friend you need to know what the law on the matter is.
You may also be able to call the City Hall (or whatever the equivalent is there) or courthouse and ask them what the laws are on property/animal ownership or who to call to find out.

joeysmama
August 26th, 2006, 05:34 PM
(btw, I know you weren't giving your kitties tylenol, but I wanted to make sure that people know it's not safe. Even for humans- it can still damage kidneys and things. No such thing as a safe drug...)

This is really important. Tylenol gets filtered through the kidneys and humans with even minor kidney issues are warned not to take it. And kitties and doggies have smaller kidneys so they're even MORE vulnerable.

I've had people tell me to give my dogs tylenol instead of taking them to the vet. "Why don't you try giving him a tylenol first?" :frustrated:

chico2
August 26th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Megan,first of all"kick that free-loader out!!"
But please don't give her the cat/kitten,the poor thing will more than likely be dumped somewhere:sad:maybe even on the street..
Dart has noone but you to depend on,he's suffering right now and the only thing you can do is try to get him well,the owner obviously did not plan very well for this poor little guy and does not deserve him:frustrated:
Maybe if you explain to your vet what is happening,he'll give you a break on payments?

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM
This is really important. Tylenol gets filtered through the kidneys and humans with even minor kidney issues are warned not to take it. And kitties and doggies have smaller kidneys so they're even MORE vulnerable.

I've had people tell me to give my dogs tylenol instead of taking them to the vet. "Why don't you try giving him a tylenol first?" :frustrated:

lol I'd never give them tylenol....I can be an idiot at times but that's not something I would do....:)

I had simply had an assumption and it was proven false...

Chico....I'd really rather not give her the cat....but I can't afford to keep him either....*I* want to take him to the vet but at this point its moot until monday at the earliest by which time I can give my friend a few ultimatums....I had at one point asked if they could give me a break on the payments for neutering the boys but they wouldn't do it (I had explained that I was student and wasn't apt to have about 400 bucks in one lump sum to neuter the both of them) because they don't even give long time customers that benefit either....apparently Hamilton is full of straight backed vets or something....I had even called around to other vets to see what they could do and all said the same thing :(....

The boyfriend doesn't want me spending money on a cat that we can't keep and while I can see his point from a number of angles it was also our decision to let Becky live with us (and therefore take in the kitten as well as her)....I apparently can't explain stuff very well....

Megan

LL1
August 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I would contact Hamilton SPCA and the 2 cat rescues in Hamilton and surrender the cat or cats to one of them.Untreated worms and other things can kill.

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON169.html

http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON208.html

Smiley14
August 26th, 2006, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry, I really do not mean to be rude, but I do not understand you. You have stated quite clearly that you do not want a third cat and that you cannot financially afford another one. Now you're thinking of taking Dart to the vet after all?
I understand you now can't do anything until Monday since you waited too long and it's now the weekend, but please, please, please, take action with that kitty asap Monday morning. Either he needs to go to the vet or to a shelter so he can receive the proper care. While you are going back and forth, that cat is dying. DYING. He is what, 6-8 weeks old? That is too young. He lacks the proper immunity to fight any kind of upper respiratory infection and worms. He needs medical attention and cannot afford to wait for you to make up your mind.
I know you are in a difficult place, so I apologize for sounding harsh, but it does not seem like you understand the severity of that kitty's condition. No more excuses. Please take him in on Monday morning SOMEWHERE.

I do not know of any shelter that would immediately kill a new kitten. Rescue organizations and shelters both are there to give them a chance and would have no reason to kill him "just because he's sick." He needs very simple medication. He does not need to suffer like he is. He can get his medicine and get a chance at a new life at the same time. Take care of him and then take care of your own kitties next. Please. I really hope the next time you post another comment or start a new thread, it will be about something definitive and not more of this going back and forth or more ranting. Your cats are dying in the meantime.
I say this out of concern for you and for your kitties. Please do the right thing.

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 11:11 PM
I'm sorry, I really do not mean to be rude, but I do not understand you. You have stated quite clearly that you do not want a third cat and that you cannot financially afford another one. Now you're thinking of taking Dart to the vet after all?
I understand you now can't do anything until Monday since you waited too long and it's now the weekend, but please, please, please, take action with that kitty asap Monday morning. Either he needs to go to the vet or to a shelter so he can receive the proper care. While you are going back and forth, that cat is dying. DYING. He is what, 6-8 weeks old? That is too young. He lacks the proper immunity to fight any kind of upper respiratory infection and worms. He needs medical attention and cannot afford to wait for you to make up your mind.
I know you are in a difficult place, so I apologize for sounding harsh, but it does not seem like you understand the severity of that kitty's condition. No more excuses. Please take him in on Monday morning SOMEWHERE.

I do not know of any shelter that would immediately kill a new kitten. Rescue organizations and shelters both are there to give them a chance and would have no reason to kill him "just because he's sick." He needs very simple medication. He does not need to suffer like he is. He can get his medicine and get a chance at a new life at the same time. Take care of him and then take care of your own kitties next. Please. I really hope the next time you post another comment or start a new thread, it will be about something definitive and not more of this going back and forth or more ranting. Your cats are dying in the meantime.
I say this out of concern for you and for your kitties. Please do the right thing.

I'm only going back and forth because people on here have told me to take him to the vet. *sigh* I really can't afford to take him heck I had to sell my MP3 player to do it. Granted I didn't necessarily need it and should have taken it back anyway but I could have used the money for groceries or whatever...*sigh* I've gotta take him cuz no one else will...at least that way he'll have had some care...*sigh* I don't have a car so taking him to the rescue is going to be a bit harder than taking him to the vet (since I can get to the vet on the bus)...whether I don't take him to the vet or not I'm still going to have to give him up FOR Becky...I'm then going to have to ask Becky for the money back because she SHOULD have paid for it in the first place.

Megan