Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hyperthyroid cat

mac
February 3rd, 2004, 08:07 PM
Our cat is fifteen, was insulin-dependent for 7 months but has since reverted and no longer requires insulin. He has recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and is being treated with topical tapazole. He is eating low residue dry and canned food but is still vomiting quite often. We are feeding him small quantities many times a day hoping this will reduce the vomiting and that he will put on some weight. Does anyone have any suggestions as to other possible foods?

Carina
February 4th, 2004, 04:05 AM
I don't know what that med is...but is vomiting a possible side effect? I guess your vet could tell you that.
There's some stuff you can get from your vet - maybe at pet stores too - that's sort of like a paste, very dense in calories. It's for cats who are weak, starved, etc to get them to gain weight and get plenty of nutrition in them. I can't recall the name of it though. Maybe something like that would help?

Otherwise I really think Felidae is one of the better commercial cat foods on the market:
http://www.canidae.com/
My cat gets Felidae canned + dry. Also sometimes canned salmon or mackerel - you could try that. Especially the salmon, it's quite fatty fish and very digestible.

Have you tried feeding him only canned for a while, or only dry? Maybe he's throwing up one but not the other...?
Of course it could be nothing to do with what he's eating; just some random ideas.