Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

**Screams** WTF is this!? - WARNING: SCARY insect images

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
This bugger is about 3-4 inches long and was just beside my door. Is this guy really from Canada?!

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 06:34 PM
btw, I trapped him, just in case he's not supposed to be here... Anybody know what he is?

LavenderRott
August 25th, 2006, 06:42 PM
btw, I trapped him, just in case he's not supposed to be here... Anybody know what he is?

Are you planning on putting him in the post and shipping off to where ever he belongs?

Prin - take the bug outside and let it go. :D

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 06:43 PM
If he's not a natural species here, I don't want to let him go... He might take over the world!:D

LavenderRott
August 25th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Face it - you have a problem with bugs. You can seek councelling for this. :D

Take over the world - what are you drinkin', girl?

MyBirdIsEvil
August 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
LMAO. Ok I'm sorry I'm sorry, don't mean to laugh, but it's a katydid.
There's several types of katydids, this is just another kind.
I live fairly south in the U.S and we have katydids and other big bugs everywhere, so yeah, I got a kick outta that.
If you didn't know: Katydids are harmless ;) .

They're related to aphids, they suck juices out of leaves(edit: I was wrong, apparently they're related to crickets, dunno what I was thinking of: they eat bugs). The things you hear making buzzing noises and chirping in the trees at night are katydids.

There's also a chance it's a green cricket, but it looks like a katydid to me.

If it's flattish it's a katydid, if it's fatter it's probably a cricket, or maybe another katydid related bug.

Either way, it's probably native.

http://37south.com/rsp/images/katydid.jpg

That's one example of a katydid, but there's several different kinds.

Look at the head. I can't see the head very good in your pic. If it looks similar to the pic above it's a katydid. If it looks more like a cricket/grasshopper it's probably a cricket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katydid

It could also be a grasshopper. There's too many bugs that look the same, lol. Down here we have a lot of them, so I'm used to seeing bugs like this and don't really pay attention to 'em. Either way, no matter what it is, it's harmless.

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 06:54 PM
But I don't live in the south! I live wayyy up north! Is he gonna take over the world?

LavenderRott
August 25th, 2006, 06:57 PM
LMAO. Ok I'm sorry I'm sorry, don't mean to laugh, but it's a katydid.
There's several types of katydids, this is just another kind.
I live fairly south in the U.S and we have katydids and other big bugs everywhere, so yeah, I got a kick outta that.
If you didn't know: Katydids are harmless ;) .

They're related to aphids, they suck juices out of leaves. The things you hear buzzing in the trees at night are katydids.

There's also a chance it's a green cricket, but it looks like a katydid to me.

You are in trouble now - she is going to be shipping that bug to YOU!!! :D

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM
It's not all bad, mybirdisevil gets a free flower pot out of the deal.

technodoll
August 25th, 2006, 07:45 PM
now see if you raw-fed boo n'jemma, they'd have a nice free snackies right there :D or hey! *slaps forehead* how about baking then dipping in chocolate, for a late-night treat? i hear they're low-fat and high in protein, mmm mmm good!

:D :D

:yuck:

phoenix
August 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/detail.asp?fotogID=724&curPageNum=2&recnum=IS0086

this looks like him

they are native to your area :) they sing nicely too.

cpietra16
August 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM
:D Prin, I live in the west island and I have seen them too...I think they are suppose to be here

rainbow
August 25th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Hey Prin, it's time to move to P.E.I. :D

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 11:46 PM
lol

K, photobucket's working again so here's a bigger one. :D

If you're sure, I'll go set him free. I hope he has been patient. :fingerscr

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/IMG_3157.jpg

meb999
August 26th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Prin, since you love insects so much, you should move to the Eastern USA (around Washington) ...every 17 years, they have a cicada invasion (my aunt lives in Maryland, she says it's quite a show!)

http://mcurtis.acm.jhu.edu/pictures/albums/cicadas04/IMG_6908.jpg

http://www.princeton.edu/~angarone/cicada/cicada11.jpg

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 12:02 AM
mmm... great.. *face turns white*

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Prin, since you love insects so much, you should move to the Eastern USA (around Washington) ...every 17 years, they have a cicada invasion (my aunt lives in Maryland, she says it's quite a show!)

OMG! I love cicadas! We just had the 17 yr cicadas in Cincinnati a couple of years ago.

It's not all bad, mybirdisevil gets a free flower pot out of the deal.

It's ok, I like bugs, and I could use more flower pots. I don't think one little katydid is going to make a difference compared to all the katydids I have on my porch at night. I also constantly have huge cicadas running into me and my window and buzzing really loud. My dogs and cats like to eat cicadas...and then throw them up...:rolleyes: maybe that was too much info.

If katydids freak you out, here's some cicada pics I took (low quality from camera phone). The 17 yr ones are little compared to these huge things. They're way darker green but this one just came out of its shell and isn't dry. 1st pic it's coming out of it's shell, 2nd pic it's sitting on it's shell right afterward, 3rd pic it finally moved and it's drying out so it can fly away.
I also have baby praying mantis pics, I take lots of insect pics.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 01:22 AM
eeeek...

Ok, well I set him free. He's just staying in the pot.:D
I've honestly never seen a bug this big though. Just craziness.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 01:29 AM
We used to have 6 inch long chinese praying mantids in our yard when I was a kid, those freak people out when the person's never seen them, lol.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 01:33 AM
oo they're all spikey too, eh? On their legs? ooooo *shudder*
I did watch that IMAX 3-D bug movie though. That was cool.

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Gaaaaah!!! What's this?!
edit: I was wrong, apparently they're related to crickets, dunno what I was thinking of: they eat bugsReally? I've got a massive neon green insect predator on my front step?
(I can FEEEEEL the nightmares building up...:yell: :eek: )

dtbmnec
August 26th, 2006, 01:43 AM
If he's not a natural species here, I don't want to let him go... He might take over the world!:D

Prin its the mice you have worry about....*hums Pinky and the Brain theme song*

Hmmm this came a little late didn't it....hehe woops

:p

Megan

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 01:51 AM
Pinky and the Brain?

I haven't seen a mouse here yet. The toads are taking over though, but I love them.:love:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Really? I've got a massive neon green insect predator on my front step?
(I can FEEEEEL the nightmares building up..

Only if you're a bug.;)

What you SHOULD be having nightmares about is these:

http://video.clipstream.com/content/c/camel_spiders/twospiders.jpg

Ok, maybe not, they only live in dry desert like areas, lol.

These are the kind of praying mantids I used to have in my yard.

http://home.cfl.rr.com/billd2000/lymantis2.jpg

I now remember why no one ever talks to me about bugs. :evil:

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Ok, I saw dirt and soldiers and I KNEW what was coming, so I didn't look.

On a completely different subject, why the hell am I so ITCHY! :D

Frenchy
August 26th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Prin,don't ever move where there's corn / soya fields because they are all around here! And they are noisy as hell! I had one in the house last summer and another got trapped between the screen and the window.When they started to "talk" to eachother at 3 am,I got up so fast!Had to "put down" the one in the house (not without a fight) and open the window to let the other one go.Yes they are big bugs (and NOISY!) So what happen? Are you fostering him :p

erykah1310
August 26th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Prin I FEEL FOR YOU!!! Something strange going on with the Pets.ca members?? Perhaps they are in on the hostile take over with the GINOROMOUS bugs??!?!?!?!?!!

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Well, he's gone now.. Frenchy, that's probably why he was here then. There are corn fields up here, not too far from where I live.

Wasn't that gigantic spider on snopes for being a hoax? I can't remember what the verdict was...

cpietra16
August 26th, 2006, 03:09 PM
OMG...what kind of spider was that or spiders, or what the H@#$$%$ was that, mybirdisevil:yuck:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Wasn't that gigantic spider on snopes for being a hoax? I can't remember what the verdict was...

The info on the letter posted along with the pic on snopes is incorrect.
When new soldiers go to iraq or wherever these bugs live, the troops that are already there tell them all kinds of myths and stuff to scare them.

The picture is real though, they just look huge because they're so close to the camera. If you look at the soldiers sleeve compared to the "spiders" they're only about 6 inches long a piece. If you look at the soldier furthest to the left you can tell he's standing way further back from the camera than the bugs are.
The bugs are called "Camel Spiders" (link) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel_Spiders), but they're not actually spiders.

Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/photos/bugs/camelspider.asp)

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM
If you look at the soldier furthest to the left you can tell he's standing way further back from the camera than the bugs are.Yeah, do you really see me staring at and analyzing that picture? :p :o

SunGurl372
August 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
The picture is real though, they just look huge because they're so close to the camera. If you look at the soldiers sleeve compared to the "spiders" they're only about 6 inches long a piece.

Hmmm....ONLY six inches long, huh? Well, THAT'S reassuring.....NOT. I'd still need an adult size diaper if I ran into one.

Byrd
August 26th, 2006, 09:28 PM
Check out: www.whatsthatbug.com

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Oh, Prin, you've got to bookmark that sight.....even your bug is on there. :D

Prin
August 26th, 2006, 10:09 PM
lol yeah, along with 5 pages of spiders.:eek:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 26th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Hmmm....ONLY six inches long, huh? Well, THAT'S reassuring.....NOT. I'd still need an adult size diaper if I ran into one.

You apparently live in Florida. Have you NOT seen adult palmetto bugs? Those things freak me out.
If you haven't seen them, be glad...very glad...
Also, I was down there one year, and I saw a huge tarantula in the bathtub of the hotel. So after several of my huge bug experiences in Florida and other southern states, I decided to move further south, YAY! I must be a genius.

technodoll
August 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
prin you could "take care" of this one with a thumbtack, are you still scared? LOL :D

http://arthurtivoli.free.fr/eurojam%2000/cute%20bug.jpg

rainbow
August 26th, 2006, 11:42 PM
Cute, TD :D It'll probably still scare Prin though. ;)

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 01:00 AM
Haa haa you guys. :rolleyes: Make fun of the scaredy cat. Yeah, go ahead. Sticks and stones and whatever. :cool: ;) :o :( :sad:

erykah1310
August 27th, 2006, 01:05 AM
I do not handle spiders well at all ( the motel i stayed at had about 2 too many for my liking so therefore i didnt sleep much)

My biggest enemy is ........................

THE EARWIG!!!!!!!!

erykah1310
August 27th, 2006, 01:14 AM
And here it is!!!:yell:

rainbow
August 27th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, those things give me the creeps too. :evil:

jawert1
August 27th, 2006, 11:57 AM
Marie-Eve, did your aunt take that photo 2 summers ago when the big cicada crop was out? They were HORRID, as at the time, I was living in a house that sat nearby a huge stand of trees, and they were everywhere for about an eternity (ok, not that long, but you know what I mean - that buzz can make you insane in the space of 3 days). This year we have another type of cicada out, so it's not *as* bad, but you should see Simon and Peaches leap away when those things start making noise, they hate them as much as I do.

SunGurl372
August 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM
[QUOTE=MyBirdIsEvil]You apparently live in Florida. Have you NOT seen adult palmetto bugs? Those things freak me out.[QUOTE]

I don't think you can live in Florida and not see them. They are truly disgusting....like a cockroach on steriods. Not pleasant.

Once when I was in high school, I came across one stuck on its back. I used a stick (a very LONG stick) to flip it back right side up, and felt marvelous for days because I had done such a good deed.

Most bugs who cross my path end up dead. Well, at least the ones in the house. Come into my territory, and you're one dead bug!

LianneCatherine
August 28th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Oh gosh....these pictures all give me the creepy crawlies. Prin, you're not alone--I've had a bug phobia practically since I was born. My parents used to laugh because I would point out the tiniest of bugs and make them get rid of it. Now, I always feel like something's crawling on me (and sometimes there is something!! :eek: )

I've gotten better about it over the years, but it's still one of my biggest fears. I will NEVER move down south!! I saw a HUGE spider in Greece one time, and that was enough to give me nightmares. I saw a big cockroach in TX, in a closet where I was hiding (playing hide-and-go seek)...which almost sent me into convulsions. I just can't take those nasty things!

Earwigs, UGH!!!! How about CAVE CRICKETS??? Anyone see those? They look like spiders...until they JUMP! You'd think you were in that movie Arachnephobia! They used to crawl around in my parent's basement....ughh don't even want to think about it!! :yuck:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 29th, 2006, 01:56 AM
Once when I was in high school, I came across one stuck on its back. I used a stick (a very LONG stick) to flip it back right side up, and felt marvelous for days because I had done such a good deed.

Screw that. I have this fear that those things might come back with friends and get me.
Just think, he was probably able to create millions of offspring because you saved him. :D

How about CAVE CRICKETS??? Anyone see those? They look like spiders...until they JUMP!

My parents used to have those in their basement. They are a bit creepy and they're really really loud. We used to get them upstairs every once in awhile and they'd drive us NUTS. We couldn't figure out where the noise was coming from because it always seems to be coming from somewhere else, so we'd wait until the noise got to us and then start searching the house for it.
Every time you think you know where the noise is they stop making it and then seem to move somewhere else :frustrated: .

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 03:47 PM
So you're all wrong! lol :D Just kidding!! Everybody's right. My entomology prof emailed me back today and said it was a long-horned grasshopper (I think katydids are a subspecies of the lh grasshopper).:shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
A long horned grasshopper is a katydid. It just depends on what part of the world you're from.

From wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_cricket):

known in American English as katydids and in British English as bush-crickets. It is part of the suborder Ensifera and the only family in the superfamily Tettigonoidea. They are also known as long-horned grasshoppers, although they are more closely related to crickets than to grasshoppers

I'm american, so I call them katydids, lol.

If he wanted to get technical, he'd have to give you a scientific name for the particular bug, because common names vary way too much.

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 04:22 PM
lol it's ok... :) I looked it up too and the long-horned description covers a huge variety of hoppers with long antennae. Katydid is more specifically the name of this particular bug.:shrug:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 29th, 2006, 04:35 PM
That's why I usually don't get into discussions involving common names. The common name of an organism varies region by region, and I've been in several arguments with people who just SWORE that some animal they saw was called something and I was wrong.
Fishing is the worst. I've been fishing in several different states and there's always someone who says something like "oh yeah! that's a so-and-so!" and of course my know-it-all self has to pipe up and go "well actually...", and inevitably it causes an argument, lol.

What's bad is when me and my b/f swear that the other is wrong on something and when we look it up, it turns out we're both right. That kills an argument.
"HA! I was right!"
"No, read down a little further, I was right too" ...
"Oh...welll....uh...hmmm :( "

Prin
August 29th, 2006, 04:40 PM
:D It's true. It so sucks when everybody ends up right.:D