Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

The Lawn & Dog Urine

puppy4ever
August 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
We just moved into a new house at the start of the summer. Our lawn looks terrible now mostly due to dog urine (there are also holes from digging & scraps of wood, etc., etc). Any suggestions on how to minimize the damage from urine? Are there any healthy things to feed my dog that would decrease the acidic nature of the urine? Any other tips? Thanks!

Prin
August 24th, 2006, 09:57 PM
There are products out there that decrease the acidity of urine, but in doing so, you kill the natural defense against bladder infections...

The only healthy thing to do is hose down the lawn after the pees...:shrug:

dakar
August 24th, 2006, 10:44 PM
We have tried for years and found that nothing really helps much - depending on the size of your dog, I think. Ours are bigger and even hosing down the lawn didn't work all that well. Plus that's not really an option in the winter around here. This year we finally decided that the annual resodding of the backyard had to end and built an outdoor dog run. If that's not an option for you, try teaching your pup to confine his/her business to one spot on the lawn. Preferably one that's out of the way and off the beaten track. At least the unsightliness will be confined to one place and the rest of your yard can look beautiful.

puppy4ever
August 24th, 2006, 10:55 PM
Oh not good about the bladder infections - will keep away from those products.

What is the best way to train them to go in one spot...I was thinking about the corner of our property. Has anyone had success with this after letting them go anywhere in the yard? I'd love for that to work!

rainbow
August 24th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I've heard that it's only female dog urine that makes the brown spots. I've mostly owned male dogs but even when I've had females I never really had much of a problem. :confused:

mafiaprincess
August 24th, 2006, 11:21 PM
My father was tee'd off about the dead spots.. So this year told me to deal with it..

First pee of the day is the most acidic.. So I pour a child's sand pail of water... Either the pool, Cider's pool or the hose if I feel that enterprising first thing in the morning on the pee spot. Lawn looks pretty good this year.

meb999
August 24th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I've heard that it's only female dog urine that makes the brown spots
naw, the males too...I have the spotted lawn to prove it.

I've thought about buying this : http://www.bramton.com/products_us/training.htm
http://www.bramton.com/graphics/products/pee_post.jpg
it encourages your pet to pee in one spot...

joeysmama
August 24th, 2006, 11:48 PM
Cooper is a small dog so it's not that difficult. I keep an old tupperware pitcher handy. Sometimes during the day I even keep it filled with water and ready to go.

Then when he does his piddle I pour water over the spot, as Mafiaprincess said. This helps a lot, and it's really easy.

Prin
August 24th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Boo fried my neighbor's lawn near our old apartment (one loonnnnng pee).. so ya, guys do it too... :o

The pheromone peg thingy (that meb posted) is your best option to get them to pee in one spot. Either that, or get an unneutered male to pee where you want them to go and that'll set it off. :D

rainbow
August 24th, 2006, 11:59 PM
I can honestly say that I have never had a problem with brown spots with either male or female dogs. Maybe we grow better grass in B.C.? :D

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 12:04 AM
No, it just rains all the time over there.:D Here it's so humid but not raining that nothing dries up or washes away..

rainbow
August 25th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Hey, where I live we haven't seen rain in a long time. :D

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 12:09 AM
:D See what happens when you generalize? :D
Does anybody really spray paint the pee spots green or is that just an urban myth?

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I actually tried it - I bought spray paint for grass - but it looked really stupid and looked like I actually painted the grass in spots, as the color was so not right. So I guess I am the Urban myth.

dakar
August 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM
It's a real hassle to start with but if you're really fed up ... here's how we went about training ours to only pee in the run. Could be generalized to one spot in the yard. Every time your dog needs to go out and pee, leash him/her and take her to the spot you want to use as the bathroom. Treat and praise for a 'good' pee. After a while you'll find that the dog goes there naturally and you can take off the leash. Then you'll probably have to treat it as a housetraining thing. There will be mistakes. React like you are housetraining. Clean up the 'mess' with a hose and really praise and treat when the bathroom is used. Good luck.
Dana

Smiley14
August 25th, 2006, 07:56 PM
ahhh, I feel your pain! I have this same battle every spring. Petey refuses to be trained to go in one spot like my previous dogs and of course I can't hose off the lawn in the winter, so come spring, I have huge dead spots all over the lawn. So every spring I end up digging up the dead spots and reseeding the areas...huge pain! But I figure it's kind of goes along with dog ownership and wanting a nice lawn, so I put up with it of course. :)

I've tried the pee post and the fake green spray for the grass...never again! Both were total failures. This year I got something from my local garden nursery that I sprinkled over my lawn once it grew back in. I'm at work at the moment and forget the name of it, but I have it at home, so can let you know. It's something that is supposed to help neutralize the acidity in urine. So far it seems to be working great, but I do run my sprinklers every other day as well, so it could be just getting enough water as well. I think the true test will come next spring (I'm supposed to sprinkle this stuff down again before the first frost) when I see if any lawn comes back or if I still have the same huge dead spots again. I hope so!!! I really dread having to re-seed the lawn every spring. :)

Steph

jessi76
August 25th, 2006, 08:48 PM
our grass grows so well, we have to MOW the dog pen just about every weekend.... we play hose games with Tucker. I put the hose nozzle to JET, and Tucker chases the water stream ALL OVER the dog pen area. it hoses down/waters the lawn AND tires him out at the same time. I just sit in a lawnchair & spray up, down, around and around....

Daisy_Mae
August 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
naw, the males too...I have the spotted lawn to prove it.

I've thought about buying this : http://www.bramton.com/products_us/training.htm
http://www.bramton.com/graphics/products/pee_post.jpg
it encourages your pet to pee in one spot...

Do you think this would work when your dog has peed everywhere? I would think our beagle Charlie would keep going back to the spots he has urinated in in the past even though he would use this post too I would suppose..:confused:

we3beagles
August 28th, 2006, 12:31 AM
You can trust me and the 3 beagles I tried that stupid stick on....it does not work. It does work to take them out on a leash and praise for a good pee though and I plan to jput a hedge to block the view of the destroyed lawn in that area so they can continue to use that area. Mine also would not set foot in a dog run. I guess they hated the rocks.

Melei'sMom
August 28th, 2006, 12:53 AM
just do what I do to have a green lawn, feed raw so the urine is less damaging and let the danadilions take over...nothing kills them! :crazy: