Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Couple cat questions.

CoolBrinkman
August 24th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I have a couple of questions about odd cat behaviors. One is about my cat, and the other is on a video that I saw. Sometimes when my cat is sleeping, he will go off into a super deep sleep and do odd movements. Including twitching whiskers, paws, limbs, and also growling while asleep and hissing on awakening. It gets pretty hard to wake him up sometimes, when normally you can just pet him. I try not to wake him up when he is in these trances, because I heard that if you wake a human up when they are having a nightmare or sleep-walking, it could cause severe trauma. I'm just wondering what exactly this is, or whats causing it.

Now the second thing I'm wondering is what exactly is this cat doing. He is like barking at the birds outside. I don't know if it is some kind of attracting trap or just some kind of method for irritating the owner. My cat does this, but deffinitely not this much. :cat:

Here is the video (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-747750070349019460&q=tut+barking)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I'm pretty sure cats have something akin to R.E.M (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep in humans. They go into a dream state and start twitching phsyically. This is a normal sleep stage and there's no reason to try and wake the cat up. I woke my cat up when I thought he was having a nightmare one time and he popped up hissing and batting at nothing and fell on the floor.

The video just looks like the cat is distracted by birds or something outside and trying to "talk" about it basically. I've had cats that do this before, I don't think it's abnormal. They seem to especially get going if you talk back to them about it. It probably just seems more annoying than normal because the cat has a funny meow.

jiorji
August 24th, 2006, 10:32 PM
cats have different levels of sleep. They can doze off and then they can get into a really deep sleep that makes it harder for them to wake up. Nothing unusual.
They dream too. My cat does the same thing you've described.Twitching and whiskers and paws and everything.
It's nothing to worry about, just cat psychology.

I've tried waking my cat up from dreaming once and it didn't work, she was way into her pigeon chasing dream(i presume).

LibbyP
August 25th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Both of my cats do this (same as video) I call it chattering(and I love it), they only do it when they are overstimulated and excited, looking at the birds/squirrels and flys. My older girl doesn't twitch as much in her sleep as my young boy does and I think it's perfectly normal. I wake them from time to time by accident from a dreamy sleep and nothing happens to them or me:shrug:

chico2
August 25th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Ditto to all the other posts,what you are seeing is all perfectly normal.
My cats chatter all the time at birds,squirrels outside,I think it's really cute:cat:

CoolBrinkman
August 25th, 2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks a bunch everyone. Now I don't have to worry if he is having any problems. Gotta love chattering :love: .

LM1313
August 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
Does anyone know why cats chatter? I mean, if you're sneaking up on an animal, why make noise? I've always wondered that.

CoolBrinkman
August 25th, 2006, 10:38 PM
Someone was saying that it kinda meant a way of friendship. His cat used to do that and the bird would come up, then the cat would turn on it.