Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

British Bulldog v English Bulldog

clarert
August 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm English, my nationality is British. My husband is American.
In the UK we have a dog called the British Bulldog - a short stocky purebreed dog, and i had never ever heard of the breed English Bulldog until i met my husband and his family - to be honest i thought they must be a bit daft and calling a British Bulldog incorrectly.....but no, the AKC recognises the breed as an English Bulldog.........and its the same dog, the English Bulldog is a British Bulldog isn't it?
I wonder how this came about, any ideas?.
My husband says that some North Americans have a warm time with our bizarre country make-up (Three countries England, Scotland, Wales make up Great Britain, four countries England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom and five countries England, Scotland, Wales, N. Ireland and the Republic of Ireland make up the British Isles) and often some refer to anything in that region as England or English.
The British Bulldog is regarded as a kind of national symbol, and is often depicted wearing a 'Union Jack' waistecoat,the Union Jack being the flag of Great Britain never the St George cross flag of England.
We even have a violent playground game called 'British Bulldog' in the Uk!
Its kind of interesting isnt it? I guess something got lost in translation?

Prin
August 24th, 2006, 11:59 AM
We have british bulldog (the playground game) too!

But yeah, everything from over there is "English".:shrug:

clarert
August 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM
...also we dont have english muffins, never heard of them and never seen anything remotely similar in England - not sure where they came from either?

Puppyluv
August 24th, 2006, 01:49 PM
mmmmmm I looove english muffins... sort of like an americanized sweet crumpet with holes on the inside, not the outside, that split open with a simple fork. mmmmm I loooove crumpets too.....

credit for the phrase "English muffin" is often given to Samuel Bath Thomas, an English baker who emigrated to New York City and began producing his "muffins" around 1880. The Merriam-Webster dictionary, however, gives the phrase's origin as 1902.

Until the recent arrival of U.S. style "raised" muffins, the word muffin was used in England without modification. When Bertie Wooster eats muffins, he is eating English muffins. The situation has become more complex now that raised muffins have entered the scene, and the word muffin might be used in either context.