Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kibble grading revisited...

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 12:26 PM
Remember that grading chart? The girly who runs the "dog food project" posted the list along with a break down of each "category". Check it out...

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=grading_kibble

(I just don't agree with her assessment of corn, but whatever)

I like this explanation of extrusion vs baking though:
3) If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points

Pros: it is said (but not proven) that oven baked food is more digestible and does not expand in the stomach.
Cons: pet food that is oven baked can be processed at temperatures of 425 degrees Fahrenheit or higher, and for much longer time periods than the extrusion process takes. Modern manufacturing techniques allow for very low temperatures during the extrusion process. Oven baked kibble also tends to stick to the dog's teeth a lot worse than extruded dry food. Which one deserves "extra credit" is something you should decide after comparing the manufacturer's information on processing times and temperatures.

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 07:46 PM
This is what she says about corn:

8) If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
9) If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points

First of all, there is no truth to the claim that corn is a "bad ingredient" per se. Unless an individual dog is sensitive or allergic to corn, it is no better and no worse than other cereal grains, as long as it is used as a source of carbohydrates and not as a main source of protein, especially in combination with excessive use of corn gluten meal as another main ingredient. If you'd like to see a comparison of nutrients in corn and rice, please click here

There are quality foods out there that do contain corn and many dogs do very well on them. What makes a difference is whether the manufacturer uses "feed grade" corn and/or corn fragments or quality USDA graded or organic corn. Personally I would choose a product that contains high quality corn over one that contains other, lower quality grains. Just to name a few, Eagle Pack, Back to Basics, Wysong and Timberwolf Organics are a few brands that include corn in some of their formulas, yet they are high quality kibbles.

I have a pamphlet on Timberwolf Organics and I can't see corn as an ingredient unless it's in the Ocean Blue Formula as that came after this pamphlet was printed. :confused:

technodoll
August 23rd, 2006, 09:10 PM
good find, prin! love that mordanna site :thumbs up

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:16 PM
I've looked at TO's foods and I haven't found any with corn.:confused:

This is what TO's site says about corn:
Why not make a formula that was carnivore specific with high levels of animal based amino acids but also include multiple grains, fruits, vegetables, seeds and herbs? Why not have probiotics and barrier bags but eliminate corn, soy and refined flours? Why not make a food with expensive high quality ingredients but that goes against the grain (no pun intended) of the industry in the way it is made? They say they have nothing against corn, but people don't want corn. :shrug:

What bugs me about her explanation on the dog food project is she's not measuring the absorption. She says corn and rice are similar in nutrient content, but what does that do if the corn is not absorbed?

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Aha! I found it!

Southwest Chicken and Herbs™ Canid Formula

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Turkey Meal, Whole Ground Oats, Chicken Fat (preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and rosemary extract), Brown Rice, Ground Barley, Low Ash White Fish Meal, Ground Whole Flaxseed, Unrefined Roasted Walnut Oil, Atlantic Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Wild Salmon Oil, Dried Cottage Cheese, Casein, Dried Chicken Liver, Potassium Chloride, Tumeric, Anise Seed, Cumin Ground Ginger, Organic Blue Corn, Dried Cranberries, Rosemary, Coriander, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Hardly evidence to call them proponents of corn.:rolleyes:

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 10:32 PM
Well, obviously I didn't look close enough. :p Wonder why they only put in the chicken formula? :confused:

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 10:36 PM
Yeah, and only a dusting of it...:confused:

technodoll
August 23rd, 2006, 10:51 PM
cuz organic blue corn is s'pensive. can't put any real amounts of anything expensive in dog food! :rolleyes:

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 11:04 PM
What's so special about organic blue corn? Is it really blue? I can't imagine eating blue corn. :yuck: I like the good old ordinary corn, or even better, the peaches and cream corn with lots of butter. :D

mafiaprincess
August 24th, 2006, 12:59 AM
If that's the only mention of corn in TO, then I don't see why it's listed as a better food with corn in it.. It's a barely there ingredient..

Only time I ever see weirdo poop with Cider is after we've had corn, and I've given her a few kernels. Cause it sure does come out whole, looks way too close to how it went in..