Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

When have you been the proudest of your pets?

~michelle~
August 23rd, 2006, 11:34 AM
What has made you the proudest that your pet has done?

jessi76
August 23rd, 2006, 11:45 AM
I was most proud when Tucker passed his CGC test. (Canine Good Citizen)

SnowDancer
August 23rd, 2006, 12:13 PM
On Sunday, July 9 at 5:30 a.m. while I was out walking him - husband was out of town - and a whole family of raccoons walked 5 feet in front of us - taunting my Eskimo - and as I turned to make ourselves scarce before the anticipated high pitched barking fest would begin - we encountered a family of skunks. I decided to take the risk with the raccoons and begged him not to bark. He didn't. Can't figure that one out. Made up for it later, but what a good boy!

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 12:52 PM
When a little girl came out of nowhere and hugged Boo hard around the neck. She let go and he sloshed her face with slobber (as much as a Boo can).

With Jemma, it was when a guy was sneaking up behind me on Mount Royal. She was off leash and promptly had the man in the fetal position on the ground. :love: My protector.:love: :cloud9:

technodoll
August 23rd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Dakotah: when some friends came over for dinner with their 4-year old boy, who loved on dakotah all evening and he just stayed quiet and kissed him gently. then hubby went out and got food for us, when he came home and fumbled with the door lock Dakotah just jumped up, and growled super loud and warned with big barking "i am the keeper of this child, you are not entering in here!" and when we all laughed and said "it's daddy", he got all like "sheeeesh soooorry" and went back down to curl up next to the little boy. All this from a dog who was not raised around children, and who NEVER barks when someone is at the door. :o

Maika: when the big ol'mean recycling truck scared the bejeezus out of her while on a morning walk and she bolted, ripped the flexi from my hands, and had disappered for 5 hours... i was frantic, those were the longest hours of my life. she managed to make her way across the neighborhood to sit at my dogsitter's front steps, where he found her hours later, shaking and just waiting. she escaped death a few times that day, crossing 6-lane boulevards... her flexi was ripped to tatters. my brave girl...

:angel:

Angies Man
August 23rd, 2006, 10:57 PM
I'm always proudest when my dogs demonstrate their quality breeding and superior socialization. This is a bit long, sorry.

I had a Great Dane in grad. school that I adopted out of the Spokane Dog Pound. When I got him he was about a year old, had no concept of his name, or what the human voice meant. His fur was filthy and his skin condition was terrible. On the way home to Moscow Idaho, I talked to him the entire time, changed his name from Rocky to Gustav, told him what a nice life he was going to have. I assume that he was an outside dog, probably had a dog house and a chain. Probably his neighbors hated him, and his previous owner decided that he wasn't worth Great Dane sized pet food bills and surrendered him to the Pound (which was a high kill facility.)

The first night, he started to poop on the kitchen floor. I picked him up (he was about 100 lb.) and rudely carried him outside yelling "NO!" all the way. He never attempted to poop or pee in the house again. Instant housebroken, pretty cool! He could hold it for 12 hours, I came home one time after 13 hrs. at school, there was a poop as close to the kitchen door as possible for a big dog to get, but no dog! He was hiding behind the bed with his head under the bed--he thought he was in trouble. (he wasn't of course.)

Within days, he figured it all out, what his new name was, what no and come, and good boy! meant. He figured out who I was, and loved to sit next to my overstuffed study chair with his front paws propped up on one of the chairs arms while I drank coffee and read, gumming my wrist (I let him do it til he grew out of that phase.) (Enjoyed that, proud of his progress.)

I got Gus in November, in December and January we did obedience classes--he was a big gangly goofball, but he learned quickly and enjoyed basic obedience exercises. (he even tried ability stuff :D When I felt I had sufficient control of him and trusted his behavior, I started to take him to my grad department's outdoor parties. I loved the way he would interact with my collegues's small children. He would slow down, the tail would go down, and he would submit to the gentle mauling and loving of the little kids. He never even accidently hurt a child & he was huge! He liked to slurp from the beer keg catch bucket or knock over bottles of beer for a sip or two! And one of his favorite tricks was to slurp a hot dog out of small fingers--he occasionally would slurp a weiner strongly enough to have it fly up in the air for him to catch.

Saw him playing ball with one of the other Grad dogs, the ball was an old basket ball. He popped it, but no human ever felt his teeth, not me, not the little children--my 3 year old niece (about 1979) called him "Uncle Gus.":)

I used to have a picture of him on a day trip on one of the Washington State ferries. It's of him planting a big wet one on the very surprised face of a 6 year old girl who was trying to pet his head.

The only bad thing about Great Danes is that they burn so brightly but die so young!:( I think he was one of the world's best $35 dogs. I was proud of him everyday of his life, even when he got prematurely old, arthritic, and cranky from the pain. He was the embodiment of the realized potential of a great dog.:dog:

I was so lucky to find him!

ccanaday427
August 24th, 2006, 12:04 AM
But I am mostly proud, and actually sometime annoyed, that he always seems to understand what I am saying. So, we figured we could just spell words when he was in the room to prevent him from reading us too well. Did it work? If we spelled sit, he would sit. If we spelled ball, he would run and look for it. If we spelled out, he would run and get his jacket (I cut his fur way too short last winter, my bad). Super smart little guy! It was the worst when we spelled cookie. He just rolls all over the floor and barks like crazy :dog:

rainbow
August 24th, 2006, 02:49 AM
I'm still waiting :frustrated: but hey, they're still young, and I have lots of hope for them. :p

Prin
August 24th, 2006, 02:51 AM
Poor beasties! Nothing they do is ever good enough.:sad: ;)

rainbow
August 24th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Naw, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, just nothing that stands out enough to make me proud. :D

meb999
August 24th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Last winter I was at a park near my house (at night...it was like 10 o'clock) and I let Buster off leash to run around a bit. I slipped on some ice and fell hard right on my back (I have a bad back). It hurt real bad and I couldn't get back up right away. I heard buster's footsteps from far away -- he ran FULL speed right towards me and stood right over me. When a stranger passed by he let out his meanest growl like 'don't you dare come close!'. Of course that means no one could've helped me up :o but I was proud that he was protecting me just the same.

we3beagles
August 24th, 2006, 11:06 AM
I am so proud of all my dogs for different reasons. Soozie now allows strange dogs to enter the house without a struggle. Now we introduce them properly and there is no problem. She even plays with them and makes them feel right at home. I am proud of Bugsey for sharing his home and mom and dad with 2 new sisters and countless fosters over the last few years and for always being a good boy. I am so proud of Callie for her tiny, but still present kisses. She didn't know how to kiss or snuggle or smile when we got her. Now we call her princess because she expects the belly rubs and snuggles and expects us to come to her. Teddy (foster dog) I am proud of for not peeing even once in the house yesterday (it was a good day, with no submissive peeing) and for starting to learn to trust humans again. Hudson (foster) I am so proud of for putting up with his last family without killing them in their sleep (after all that is what they threatened to do to him).

mama samoan
August 24th, 2006, 11:30 AM
When our young dog died unexpectedly I forced my husband to go and see a 6 month old puppy that had been returned to her breeder. I had heard thru the grapevine that he would not hold on to her for long, as he was full. She had been adopted at 6 weeks of age and returned due to a divorce. When the breeder let her out of her pen she ran about 300 yards away and sat there looking away from us and the breeder. We took her home but she had some issues if you raised your voice, and yelling would send her into a blind no stop run. I thought she was perfect and she was so kind, but so scared. It took almost 2 years for her to be able to handle a raised voice and a lot longer if some one actually yelled. We had to make sure that her crate was locked open so she could get in. Our yard was fenced with chain link, and right behind us was a handicapped little girl. One day I looked out the window and there was my beautiful Lana, sitting then laying then sitting then laying, and then she would lope around the yard looking for her ball. She was just following the commands being screamed at her by the little girl out back. I quickly brought her in the house, but she was out there doing her best to do what the little girl wanted her to do. And even after that day if the little girl was out Lana would lean against the fence and let the little girl hold onto her thru the links in the fence. She over came her fear for that little girl.

dogcatharmony
August 24th, 2006, 03:29 PM
well seeing i have 3 furbabies i should have a proud moment for all. for my dog zoe it would have to be graduating kindegarten puppy ( she did nothing but play and disrupt classes for 6 weeks and then on graduation night she took home 2nd place, most improved dog and i got best handler):D and i should add that on the drive home from graduation she ate her most improved dog ribbon....... then for my cat amos my proudest moment of him is peeing in my hubbies shoes when he forgot to buy him catlitter and came home with a dog bed.( hubby doesnt like cats) and the cat did it as soon as he took his shoes off:D and then my little cat phoebe is for making my niece comfortable around pets.......my neice is teriffied of animals but this little calico of mine wouldnt let up and showed her that not all animals are scary and the love of an animal is one of the best feelings in the world.

clarert
August 24th, 2006, 03:59 PM
When Toby won 2nd place for Best Rescued Dog at the Annual Dog Show and Pepe got 3rd place for Best Personality......its just nice to have someone confirm what we can see in our odd looking dogs!

Cody makes me proud because everyone loves him, he is soft and gentle and pretty.....i'll be even prouder when someone actually takes him for a male dog one of these days as he is always called 'she' because he is so gentle and pretty!
Actually my Toby overwhelmed me recently when the chained dog next door got off his chain and was running loose (he is aggressive and i'm not surprised), Toby leapt in between me and Rambo and growled......Rambo could eat my chubby boy who has bad hips for breakfast and the fact Toby was willing to lay down his life for me was a bit overwhelming!

chico2
August 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM
I am proud of my 3 kitties every day,after we've had them outside for a couple of hours and decide it's time to go back in,hubby claps his hands and the 3 of them traips inside like obedient little soldiers:love:

OntarioGreys
August 24th, 2006, 09:06 PM
A Toronto newspaper photo of my 2 dogs(Callie and Sunny) in the forefront

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/mleg2001/b34284fba91677c1e0317c499d76db18.jpg

Sunny has made it into the newspapers a few times as a spokes, meet and greet dog for greyhound adoption.

Maya the proud moments are each time she conquers one of her many fears, the first 2 years she spent most of her time hiding in my bedroom, it has only been in the last 6 months where she has been finding some self confidencem she had foud Sunny initimidating for the first year and used to run and hide if he so much as looked at her, recently I had to chuckle and was quite proud of her when she showed courage in telling Sunny off, who thought he could intimidate her by making her move off one of the dogbeds.

dtbmnec
August 25th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Leo for being all purry and cuddly and good at the vet's office when he got neutered on Tuesday. Also when he realised that he had to jump in the back of the TV/stand to get his catnip ball that he had tossed under there. He came right back out without playing behind it (like he'd usually do).

Pawz for getting over his "fear" of Leo so quickly (Leo and Pawz were introduced but not completely properly and Leo was all "play play play" while Pawz only wanted to sleep) and now he gives it right back to him. Also when he went to the vet the first time and purred the entire time there. :)

Megan

Writing4Fun
August 25th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Oh, gosh, Phoebe is constantly making me proud! Just tonight, we were up at a friend's trailer in a wooded area. Phoebe and their dog were running around together, playing. No matter where they went, no matter what they were investigating, all I had to do was whistle and she'd come running. And, while the friend's dog spent a lot of time trying to steal cookies or hot dogs out of the kids' hands, all it took was one 'leave it!' from me and Phoebe let them eat in peace. :D

lovemycats
August 25th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Hello All,

What a great thread to start......when have my pets made me the proudest??? That is an easy one, they always make me proud cause they listen very well for cats. I have only ever had dogs growing up, so when I moved on my own, I felt it would be best to get cats since I can't spend the required time with a dog. But, I have never raised cats before and didn't want to have the kind that jumped out and scratched people for no reason. Well, I suppose I treat my cats like dogs cause they act so much like them that I am sure one day they will bark or something....hahaha. They play catch, fetch, they walk on their leash (sometimes) and they love to play rough. They never bite or scratch anyone unless provoked (it takes alot) and they actually listen to me!!!! For instance, if Domi is on a chair that my bf wants to sit in, I will ask him nicely to get down and he does. My friends and family can't believe how well behaved my boys are. :thumbs up

But the one time that really sticks out when they both impressed me sooooooo much was when I brought Zets home from the Vets. He had surgery to remove his left eye ( it was a baaaad eye) and I was told I had to keep them separated for up to 6 weeks. I lived in a 1 bedroom apt and couldn't figure out how I was gonna do that and how they would feel about that. I had a collar put on Zets and that made it hard for him to eat, lay down and do lots of other things. When he came out of the carrier, Domi sniffed him and his eye.....I got nervous cause I didn't know what they would do. Domi started to clean Zets body, belly, ears and never even touched his swollen eye area. He was actually helping Zets with everything........ I couldn't separate them! He was bringing food to him and giving him water out of his own mouth like a mother cat would do. I eventually took off the collar and Zets was doing fine. He slept alot, took his meds and let Domi pamper him. It was so adorable and they were only 1 1/2 yrs old. It was honestly the one time I was so proud of them both and it still brings tears to my eyes.

So they ya'll go, sorry for the long essay, but I wanted to share that all with you.

Thanks for listening.:crazy:

:pawprint: :ca:

chico2
August 25th, 2006, 10:25 AM
LMC's,just a little off topic side bar,unfortunately many people believe cats are untrainable,aloof and independant.
In my many years as a cat-owner,I can honestly say,that statement is absolutely untrue,if given the same love and attention as a dog,a cat is definetly trainable!

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 25th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Can I have more than one moment.

When Joey past his obedience test - he had to stay off leash amougst all the other on leash dogs walking around him - while I walked out the door around the building outside and back in the other door. Then we had to walk through the other dogs off leash - doing stop, stay, heel and down.

Then I had to make up to a down stay from 10 ft away -(we are working on the distance thing right now) everyone failed that except for the one Border Collie in the class. Border Collie thinks he's so smart. :D

Also Joeys a good watch dog too - he doesnt go crazy barking if someone is at the door - but will just let out a few warning barks to let me know someone is here or is near to the house.

lovemycats
August 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Hey Chico2, you are very correct in that cats are so intelligent. I am just so facinated by how much more intelligent they are than people give them credit for. When I ask Domi to roll over and show me his belly....he does! And when I ask Zets to play dead, he falls over and rolls on his back with his arms and legs spread apart. They are just the most articulate creatures and so graceful too. Ever watch a cat jump from the floor to the top of a 6ft wall unit??? Zets does it all the time!!! He has such powerful legs and it so graceful when he does it.

Anyways, I am just so impressed with my kitties all round.:thumbs up

:pawprint: :ca:

Bearsmom
August 26th, 2006, 08:11 AM
The proudest moment for us occurred last week when I was out front painting our house, wee one was riding his bike along the sidewalk, when I heard the "oh *****" bark from our two boys in the back yard.

Wee one and I went into the back yard to investigate, and found Bear and Kaos had 2 teenagers cornered against our patio doors. Apparently the teenagers felt they'd like to come in and check out our house.

They did, however, forget to read the sign posted on the fence that says, "I can make it to the fence in 2.8 seconds. Can you?"

erykah1310
August 26th, 2006, 10:41 AM
They make me proud everyday!!!!

However Kita never ceases to amaze me with her tollerance and protection of children, with my supervision of course, she is amazing with kids of all ages regardless of how well they know how to be around a dog. The most amazing thing is that she was never raised around any children.

Meiko I am proud of him for the drastic change in temperment. He was a snarky snappy angry dog for the first 3 years of his life with us ( I blame no one but myself for this) After ALOT of patience and training he can now go into public and willingly meet and greet people with out trying to bite!!!:thumbs up

As for Puppy!!!! Everyday I am proud of him, he does something new. Weather its just running abit faster or getting up with little or no trubble!!!
HE is also amazing around other people and children. Idont know alot about his past but I feel that if any thing bad had happened to him, he leaves it in his past!!!