Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hunter appears to be shedding a lot around his legs - Is that normal?

HunterXHunter
August 23rd, 2006, 08:13 AM
Hello,

Lately (past 1.5 weeks or so) I've noticed Hunter's been shedding quite easily around his rear legs around the area where his thigh meets the body/hips. You just have to run your fingers through them and fur comes off. The fur is very soft so I figured he was still losing his baby fur and didn't quite see it as a problem, but it's been 1.5 weeks and it's still happening. When walks/runs and you see him from a distance it looks like he has bald patches there because there's a lot more fur in the surrounding areas. Also, there IS new fur coming from the area where he's losing fur so it's not like he's really balding and you can see skin or anything, but I'm just a tad worried. Plus, Hunter is my first dog so I don't know if this is suppose to happen.

Also, I heard that salt & hot (temperature-wise) food may cause this to happen. Well, we don't give Hunter anything with salt obviously, but because Hunter likes to eat rice, I usually give him some during dinner and it's usually a little on the warm/hot side. Is this true?

Thanks,
-Glen

technodoll
August 23rd, 2006, 09:35 AM
your boy may be just "blowing" his coat... it starts with the rear legs/ thighs, then moves towards the front of the body, ending with the neck. late spring and late summer are the traditional times when dogs "change" their coats :)

Also, I heard that salt & hot (temperature-wise) food may cause this to happen.

i have never heard this and IMO it's hogwash, i know tons of dogs who eat real food (warm, with or without salt, etc including my dogs) and if it were true there would be a bunch of bald dogs running around, LOL :pawprint:

HunterXHunter
August 23rd, 2006, 10:00 AM
*whew*

Wow, I'm so relieved to hear this :D It was really starting to worry me :eek:

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 11:38 AM
If it's not just seasonal shedding, it could be a hormonal issue or an allergy. How is the skin underneath?