Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How to Sit Pretty?

Maxine
August 22nd, 2006, 11:15 PM
Hi everyone! My boy Lex (9 months) is a very good learner and eager to please. he can get my purse (and even walk with it in his mouth, its too funny), the keys, the kitties (hehe, no he doesnt hurt them):D , the hat, he plays dead, roll over.... BUT i can't teach him to sit pretty, which I find to be a really cute thing to do... :o

He is already 77 pounds. I can't believe my bf bought him as a PB, this is a lesson for him to get his dog from a BYB:eek: . the vet says probably mix with great dane:eek: :eek: (the technician said boxer, but NO WAY he looks like a boxer, he looks like a TALL and very muscly pitbull haha)

Do you guys think he his just to young or not well balanced to do sit pretty? Usually, as i said, he learns very very quick, but this one, I don't know... Should I just wait a bit? I would love my "Hulk" to do a sit pretty...

If you have any tricks (and im sure you do) to help me teach him this trick, I would be so happy! And him too, he just wants to learn sooo much!:dog:

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Maxine

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
What I did with Boo was get him to sit and to put his feet on my thighs (and say "sit pretty" as the command). After he was really comfortable with that, I'd get him to sit a bit further away from me... At first, he waved his feets in the air, but after a while, without falling over backward (I was sure to catch him if he ever looked too wobbly), he gained confidence and did it by himself...

You can also have somebody stand behind to catch him if he falls over.. If they fall backwards it takes a long time to get them to try it again.:(

Maxine
August 22nd, 2006, 11:36 PM
thanks prin, i'm glad to see i did a good thing by putting his front paws on my thighs! but never went furter tonight... I will see tomorrow if he can do it without my thighs :D

BTW, his tumor got bigger on his paw, he looks like he has a small claw now :(

As i said, as soon as he gets under anasthesia for the neutering:D this tumor will be removed!:thumbs up

Maxine

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 11:43 PM
It took Boo about 2 months to be able to do it on his own. He really has no balance and didn't trust that he wouldn't fall...

I hope that tumor is nothing serious... Boo had a really hard thing on the side of both of his feet about a year ago. It was like a bunion (you know how some ladies' feet get big things sticking out the side?), but dogs don't get bunions.... After xrays showed nothing, we just left it. I just noticed yesterday that they were gone...

Good luck...:o

Maxine
August 22nd, 2006, 11:55 PM
It was like a bunion (you know how some ladies' feet get big things sticking out the side?), but dogs don't get bunions.... After xrays showed nothing, we just left it. I just noticed yesterday that they were gone...

Good luck...:o

Trust me, I do pedicures everyday, I know what you mean lol!!!!
I'm glad it went away on his own for Boo:dog:

So I'm glad to hear it took you 2 months, i'm going to try to beat that;) !!! He learns always in less than 10 minutes and never forget any tricks... I'm still amazed by Lex learning so quick! He's smart but young, and very stuborn :frustrated: I won't start on this 'cause it's the wrong forum (i need to go on on-topic rants lolol)

thanks prin and give a hug to boo for me! I know i dont post a lot, but I read this forum EVERY day and i already loves your furbabies! Too bad i couldn't be there for the activity at L'ile Ste-Helene or whatever its called now!:p

Maxine

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 12:01 AM
I forgot you do feets all day. :D

Don't worry about how much you post, as long as you keep coming back. :)
I think it's still ile ste helene, but the park is Jean Drapeau.:shrug: There'll be another time.:)

OntarioGreys
August 24th, 2006, 07:48 PM
He probably is too top heavy to so the sit pretty on his own

my eskie can do and as well walk upright on her hind legs, but it is not something I would try to teach my greyhounds to do