Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Met a crazy lady today! Angies groomer

Angies Man
August 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
I met a crazy lady today :crazy: , I'm going to let her groom my puppy tomorrow. It will be Angies first grooming. 4 month Std. Poodle, btw.

She runs a grooming room in her converted garage. Been grooming dogs for 20 years. We went over to meet her today and see her grooming skills in auction (acually I was checking her out.)

The place was messy, but not filthy. She doesn't use a drying box, but puts the dogs up on a table and has unheated air blowing on the dogs to dry them off.

She was very calm working on the dogs, both dogs being groomed didn't seem to be stressed. She had 10! dogs running around her workshop and house. All of them were hers, all rescue dogs, none were fosters. I asked her if she had a husband :) "No but I do have a boyfriend."

Lots of dogs running around, little commotion when a stranger and a new dog came in. All the dogs were housebroken and nice to meet. Everything from a teacup poodle, to a couple of peeks, a peek-corgi mix (a great little dog!) to a found, sweet GSD, and an ancient Lab mix. Interesting, amazing place.

She also scales dog teeth without anesthetic, boards dogs--just lets them run with the pack (what's an extra dog in the pack?,) and will let my Std Poodle pup come for visits to play with the other dogs in the back yard.

It was a crazy place, I think we've found some friends. :thumbs up

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 11:04 PM
She doesn't leave the dogs on the table unsupervised though, does she?

chico2
August 23rd, 2006, 06:50 AM
Angies Man,she certainly sounds like a "crazy dog-lady",not to put a damper on Angies first grooming-session,but make sure there is no way Angie can run away with so many dogs in the house.
At four months she probably has all her vaccinations:confused: and it's ok to socialize with several dogs.
I don't know how anyone can properly care for 10 dogs,but she obviously has her heart in the right place.
Are you going to be there with her?
Also show us some pics,please,after she's all spiffied up:dog:

Angies Man
August 23rd, 2006, 10:26 PM
At four months she probably has all her vaccinations:confused: and it's ok to socialize with several dogs.

I don't know how anyone can properly care for 10 dogs,but she obviously has her heart in the right place.

Are you going to be there with her?

Also show us some pics,please,after she's all spiffied up:dog:

Yeah, she's had all her shots, and so have my groomer's dogs. During business hours, the dogs are pretty much in the house or backyard, not the shop. The place is very puppy safe, tho.

I don't think I could properly take care of 10 dogs, but she manages, and all the dogs were clean, well socialized, and happy. And there wasn't a hint of poop or pee odor in the shop or the house.

I stayed for a few minutes, but it's best that Angie have the time to get to know Linda without me. She's very experience, obviously loves dogs, and is a gentle person. The Pom Corgi mix (Jimmy) is a real character, he got up on the table with Angie and distracted her while Linda clipped her nails. (Angie and I both really like Jimmy!)

I posted some pics in another thread, but here they are again:

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3532_.jpg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3533_.jpg

http://myfiero.com/uploads/3534_.jpg

chico2
August 24th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Awww,Angie looks beautiful,I am glad you did not do pom-pom tail and paws and your groomer sounds like a wonderful person,although a bit nutty having 10 dogs:dog:

poodletalk
August 24th, 2006, 07:18 AM
I ALWAYS WANTED a standard poodle, for some reason I always end up with huskies! Your dog is beautiful!

jawert1
August 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I absolutely adore Standard Poodles, and your girl is beautiful! What a cute puppy cut! :)

Lise
August 25th, 2006, 04:56 PM
What a beautiful puppy,my parents have a ten month old black standard named Seren.We groom her here.Your groomer sounds like a really big hearted person,but letting other dogs jump on the table while clipping the nails on a puppy is not a great way to distract a puppy.I'd be a little careful of someone who boards dogs by letting them run with the pack.Just my opinion