Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

We got our shots today!

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
So, it was time for Jesse's annual shots. We attempted this about two weeks ago and it was a complete flop! A bit of history, Jesse was hurt by the vet when she was a baby so she now freaks out when she goes. She doesn't get aggressive or nip or show her teeth, but she does get very scared. So we went to the vet a couple of weeks ago and we told them ahead of time what to expect with Jesse so the vet came in and she just sat on the floow with Jesse and socialized with her. Jesse had a great time with her and just loved her. I even brought hot dogs with me so she would associate the visit with something positive. But when it came time to get her shots -- it was not happening! Jesse lost every bone in her body and ended up being this squirmy boneless snake. So the vet decided she didn't want to stress Jesse out again and suggested we try again in a couple of weeks and to give her some benadryl beforehand, so I did and it worked like a charm. Jesse just gave lots of kisses and hugs and they were able to draw blood and give her the shots she needed! I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you would have seen this dog in the past this is a huge accomplishment! She was not scared at all. Woo Hoo!!!

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 06:47 PM
Wooo!!! :highfive: It's good for her too. The more happy vet visits she has, the more confident she'll be at the vet.

Good doggy! :dog:

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM
They told us to bring her by anytime to just visit because they like her so much. I think that's really great that they are like that.

jessi76
August 22nd, 2006, 07:01 PM
That's wonderfull! Good job Jesse!!! was she groggy from the benedryl at all?

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 07:05 PM
At first I would say no. We got there and she was hyper as anything and I was getting nervous, but once they put us in the room she calmed down and started yawning and just relaxing. She didn't get groggy from it, but it definitely calmed her down enough that she didn't get an anxiety attack. I was so proud of my little girl. The vet was proud too. :D The vet was actual a little concerned about it last time. She said that she really didn't want to have to sedate her just to give her the shots, so that is why we tried the benadryl.

Smiley14
August 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Aww, that's great news! Jesse is such a beautiful baby, I'm glad you found a way to make the vet trip less stressful for her! Sounds like a great vet too! :)

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
awe that is just sooo sweet :cloud9: i love vets who care enough to take the time! we often take the dogs in just for a visit & use the big electronic scale (have to monitor their weight) and they always get a treat and lots of attention. they love it there and can't get in the door fast enough!

say... are you giving jessee booster shots every year? (:fingerscr not...) :pawprint:

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
The world needs more vets like that. :thumbs up I'm sure glad I've got one too. Whenever I mention her name to my husky he gets all excited that he's going to see her. Pretty soon Jesse will be like that. :D

jesse's mommy
August 23rd, 2006, 07:23 PM
say... are you giving jessee booster shots every year? (:fingerscr not...) :pawprint:

Distemper and Bordatella yes. Kennels won't let her stay if they aren't done every year. Rabies is every three.

Frenchy
August 23rd, 2006, 08:13 PM
Good girl Jesse ! I can't believe you brought hot dogs to the vet! It's so cute,lucky Jesse :p

jesse's mommy
August 23rd, 2006, 08:25 PM
The vet actually thought it was a good idea and agreed with doing everything we could for her to associate the visit with a positive experience.