Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

i have "top terrible ten" dogs

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM
this is beyond moronic and stereotypical :mad:

http://www.virtualimpax.com/klhh/28931.htm

WTF?? siberian huskies are top dangerous dogs?? i hope the actors in "eight below" had good life insurance :evil:

stuff like this makes my blood boil. who writes this crap anyways??

:yell: :yell: yell grumble grumble

~michelle~
August 22nd, 2006, 03:45 PM
this should really be labelled as top ten breeds poorly bred for profit and unfortunately taken in by dumb owners with little knowledge of their needs. I have a husky/shepard cross that will do nothing more than lick you to death.Oh nO!he takes up 2 spots on the top ten! St Bernards??? the biggest danger i've seen them pose is squishing you b/c they think their a lap dog

SarahLynn123
August 22nd, 2006, 03:55 PM
WHAT???? My Shadowy-Bear is Number 3:eek: ? I should watch my step around her from now on:rolleyes:

St. Bernards and Great Danes? This is quite the list, I'd like to see the stastics he used to write this piece. More uninformed morons.

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM
WOW,Now that's a surprise my big girl didn't make the list?! But my other top giants did:( , stupid list:mad:

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Stupid list written by a moron. :crazy: We need a moron smilie. :D

H.P.
August 22nd, 2006, 05:16 PM
While the list is on it's own, stupid, if you read the comments, the writer does express in most of the cases that poor breeding (greed), poor researcch on the part of the buyer, poor training, and mistreatment are the cause of the dogs being on the list.

Rottielover
August 22nd, 2006, 05:45 PM
I always expect my boy to make top 2, and look at that he did. Number 2, oh well, I guess whoever wrote this list as never owned one of these breeds

jawert1
August 22nd, 2006, 06:13 PM
hahaha right on michelle, you hit the nail on the head. Since Peaches is half GS/Chow, do I split the difference on her "danger" ranking? I mean really, such nonsense out of ignorant people makes my hair stand on end. I rue the day someone gets bit by a Pointer :rolleyes:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 06:36 PM
While the list is on it's own, stupid, if you read the comments, the writer does express in most of the cases that poor breeding (greed), poor researcch on the part of the buyer, poor training, and mistreatment are the cause of the dogs being on the list.

Exactly. How many of you actually read the whole article?

The writer pretty much states under each dog why they are on the top 10 list. He specifically states under each dog that as long as you buy from a reputable breeder and your dog is well socialized and well trained most of these dogs are great dogs to have.

The reason most of these dogs are in the top 10 is because of how big and powerful they are. If a min-pin attacks someone (exception: a small child), it's not going to be fatal. If a st bernard decides he wants to kill you, no matter what size you are, good luck.

The writer doesn't state with the qualifications for the top 10 are though, like most top 10 lists, this one doesn't mean much.

Yes there are other large breeds that are dangerous, but the breeds listed are some of the most common larger dogs, and many people buy them and make them mean because they think it's cool, therefore they get put on lists like this.
Also, maybe there aren't many people with dangerous akitas where many of you are from, but from where I'm from people that think they're "thugs" buy akitas (not just pitbulls and rots) and train them to fight and attack anyone that comes near their yard.
For a long time I thought this was just how akitas were because I'd NEVER come into contact with a nice well socialized akita. Now I know just about any dog is ok as long as well socialized etc., but many people DO buy these dogs to make them mean, and whether you like it or not these dogs can do A LOT of damage.

Overall, just about all top ten lists I've seen for anything are pretty dumb, because they're generalizing, but the overall article seemed well written.

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
The problem is, even if WE read it, the "squeaky wheels" won't read it. They'll just see a list of scary looking big dogs.:sad:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 06:50 PM
The problem is, even if WE read it, the "squeaky wheels" won't read it. They'll just see a list of scary looking big dogs

I totally agree, but this is true of many subjects. People have short attention spans and don't read the whole thing.

Look how many people that posted here just looked at the top 10 list and decided that the author was a moron. The author may have been trying to convey that these dogs aren't as scary as they seem, but no one would know that if they hadn't read the whole article.

I must warn people, that if you too judge things based on just a glance, it's going to be hard to judge people on the other side of the issue for just glancing at articles, etc., and passing on false information.
By not reading all the information and jumping to conclusions, you yourself aren't doing anything to educate people on the issues.
If everyone was a bit more open, and read all the information, and took the time to understand everyones views, and understand the other sides opinions, it would be easier to educate people.
When you get angry and start calling people names, anyone who shares the views of the person you are insulting is going to be insulted and completely shut you out, therefore they won't even listen to any of the information you provide.

For instance, if someone comes along and reads this thread and the article, they may decide "Wow, some of these people didn't even read what they're commenting on, they must be ill informed. I wonder how many more of their views are also poorly researched?". This may not be true of most of you, but an objective viewer isn't going to understand what kind of emotions you have behind your comments, just that your comments were based on assumptions.

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 06:52 PM
I knew my "lab mix" would be on the list. She seems to make all these lists. :D

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 07:08 PM
oh i read every word, believe me - and i would like to point out the descriptives the "author" uses to speak of our beloved "top 10" dogs:

Pits: The bite of one of the above breeds exerts hundreds of pounds of pressure, more than an average German Shepherd. The best bred, best socialized Am Staff, APBT or SBT will exhibit aggressive, fighting tendencies. It is what they were bred to do

uhhhh - NO. maybe the author should educate himself better by reading such articles as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_bull :

Some people contend that "pit bulls" are especially likely to cause fatalities when they do attack, due to their strong jaws and their tendency to clamp on to their victim when attacking. However, although American pit bull terriers are indisputably powerful dogs, there is no scientific evidence showing them to have a stronger bite than other large dog breed. In fact, when Dr. Brady Barr of National Geographic (Dangerous Encounters: Bite Force, 8/18/2005) measured the bite forces of three dog breeds using a computerized bite sleeve, the American Pit Bull Terrier generated the least amount of pressure out of the 3 dogs tested, (the other two dogs were a German Shepherd Dog and a Rottweiler).

GSD: A well-bred German Shepherd with proper training is a joy while an improperly bred and untrained GSD is enough to turn one off of dog ownership forever.

ah, so never adopt or rescue a GSD from a shelter right? or you shall never want another dog again! :frustrated:

Siberian Husky: This breed's high prey drive and strong willed temperament mean it's not for everyone, especially families with small children. (Note: whenever you see "high prey drive" regarding a breed, know it is not a breed for families with small children. Small children as they run and squeal can easily be mistaken for prey.)

so all families with kids get mauled by their sibs who think they are prey? wow. would love to see the stats on that :thumbs up

Alaskan Mal: "Forcing this breed into submission will only result in incredible aggressive reaction." He follows this statement with the comment "Good luck." Forewarned is forearmed.

Sounds like people should rather adopt wild hyenas eh? "good luck"!

Chow Chow: Leaving your Chow Chow unsupervised in your fenced yard for long periods of time can result in your dog being overly-territorial. (Read: your chow will be overtly aggressive to strangers entering "his" land.)

hmmmm what a UNIQUE behavior specific to the chow! :eek:

Great Dane: A Great Dane bought from a poor breeder or raised incorrectly is anything but gentle.

Love the way this fruitcake generalizes everything! watch out all great danes who end up in shelters, gonna make snacks from all the cats and babies! :eek:

Akitas: This powerful breed can be difficult to train and will bite if threatened. be warned that the breed's tolerance of children does not usually extend beyond the family "pack".

Holy crap i beg to differ!! has this guy ever met a neighborhood akita before? or was he too busy stuffing his head up his @ss while typing this article with one hand?? any dog can be difficult to train if you don't do it right and what, only akitas will bite if threatened?? :yell: i want to slap this moron silly!

yes, his article shows his love and interest in dogs all right.

moron!

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:17 PM
Any dog will bite if adequately threatened and most dogs will produce an aggressive reaction if they are forced into submission. Why would he pin those on any specific breed?

I so thought I had read that kids and prey thing wrong. What a moron.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 07:19 PM
basically 99% of what he said (targeted at a specific breed) can be applied to ANY breed when you apply the right circumstances.

and note... how many of these breeds belong in the WORKING GROUP? uh, heeeelloooooo!! these dogs were bred for a function and now they're being demonized for it?

Give me a break.

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:21 PM
It's called research a breed before you get it.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
yeah... and research your facts before making such hogwash available to the unsuspecting public :frustrated:

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
Lab Husky mixes: Improperly bred will growl and snap at you under the best circumstances. They'll also have spay incontinence and a lot of allergies. (If you read between the lines, you'll realize that I'm only talking about ONE lab husky in particular) ;)

KEEP your kids AWAY!!! :eek: *faint screams*
Do I really have to post the growly pic?

okay!

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 07:27 PM
There's that picture again! It's been a while...

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
I know.. I hesitated because my doggies end up in almost every thread and I feel bad (but they're good examples of everything!).. But it had been a while.

meb999
August 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
whatever you technodoll...don't threaten Dakota....you've been warned!! :rolleyes:

jiorji
August 22nd, 2006, 07:40 PM
yeah that picture...just when I got over my "Jemma attack dreams".:evil:

the guy who wrote that article most likely has a teeny dog :D

meb999
August 22nd, 2006, 07:41 PM
from the same website :

If you're short on cash and want to feel really good about yourself, try rescuing a dog from the classifieds. Every day, purebred dogs are offered at bargain basement prices by families who either didn't research their choice of breed

yeah...good idea...call up a rescue and tell them that there are 2 reasons you'd like to rescue : you're short on cash and you want to feel good about yourself!!

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:55 PM
What the hey!? He says don't get badly bred dogs and then he says, but if you're low on money, get a badly bred dog?

meb999
August 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
although, :o I shouldn't flame the guy for encourageing people to rescue a pet...:o
but they should do it because they offer a good loving home and there are too many unwanted pets out there, not because they are low on $$....

Angies Man
August 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Dang! look at those eyes. Like looking into the eyes of the devil hisseff!:evil:

I've met a few scary Rottweilers, but not many. Never met a scary Great Dane, tho. They really aren't a fav. for inbreeding.

Seems to me that behaviorally challenged dogs are mostly ones that have been abused, neglected, or poorly socialized (at least in my experience.) The gene pool is a lot more robust than one might think.

Most of the "bad" GSDs make your "check wallet lite" go on. More health problems from inbreeding than behavioral problems.

The list author is an idiot!:yuck: I'd like to see some statistical justification for his/her stupid statements.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 08:10 PM
I'm not saying the author is right on all his facts, I'm saying that anyone who holds the same views as him isn't going to listen to facts from anyone calling him a moron.
You're better off just point out what facts were wrong and correcting his information with websites and references that have the correct info. Then anyone that comes along and wonders why you are attacking the article can read more factual information.

Honestly it didn't seem to me like he was attacking the breeds, just uninformed on some points.

It also says right at the top of the page:

Keep in mind these comments apply
in general terms and are not necessarily true of a specific dog.

So pointing out that he's generalizing is a bit redundant.

ANYONE who comes along and reads ONE article, or bases their opinions on one view is obviously going to be uninformed, that's why all you can do is post different information in hopes that whoever comes along to read the thread will click on your other links.

Obviously I'm not advocating anyone write articles attacking any one breed, I have a chow-mix and all too often people think she's agressive just because of her breeding.

BUT, your responses matter equally as much when trying to educate people, so attacking the author and name calling because someone is ignorant, is going to make a lot of people tune you out.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
hey... this was a rant thread, it was not addressed to the (MORON) author and he will never see our thoughts on his monkey-brained opinions :evil: because i doubt such a narrow-minded person ever frequents pet forums where REAL-life education takes place. so there :thumbs up

gotta take stuff with a grain of salt sometimes eh? :dog:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 09:04 PM
No no, I'm not talking about the author, I could care less what he thinks, I'm talking about other people that may come along and read the thread.

hey... this was a rant thread

I know, I'm just expressing a slightly different view, lol.

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 09:07 PM
I think if lurkers see techno's break down of the whole list (which I thought was pretty good), they'll just want to research more to find out what the truth really is. :shrug: They can always ask for clarification.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
I liked the list, and I agree.
My O.P was before she posted it though.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:10 PM
i guess i'm still miffed at what bad press does to certain breeds, you know? :( last week in northern england, there was this huge story about an off-lead akita attacking and killing a 10-month old jack-russell puppy, right out of the pup's 15-year old owner's arms, and the akita owner just tossing the dead puppy on the ground and walking away. the media was in an uproar, this vicious dog must be destroyed, bla bla bla. well guess what? it finally was confessed that it was NOT an akita at all :eek: and that some akita-hater made that up because he wants the breed banned! but the excuses flew under the carpet and the public's last memory is "akita attack dog"... which is complete BS in this situation :(

i can only imagine owning a pit, rottie or other "dangerous breed" in the society we live in now. sigh. i admire you all! :pawprint:

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:12 PM
oh and how about writing a Top Ten Bad Owners list, eh? top ten types of people who should not own dogs... i can think of a few :evil:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 09:21 PM
well guess what? it finally was confessed that it was NOT an akita at all and that some akita-hater made that up because he wants the breed banned!

It makes me angry too, but a lot of things the media does makes me angry, they NEVER research what they put on TV or in the news for everyone to see.

In Cincinnati, OH, where I'm from, Pit-bulls are banned. A few years ago the news did a story talking about how the police and animal control don't even know how to identify a Pit-Bull anyway, and they're confiscating dogs that aren't even RELATED to a Pit-Bull, and listing dogs involved in attacks as Pit-Bulls when they're not.

One of the dogs they took was a boxer. Another was an American Bull Dog. And one even was a LABRADOR RETRIEVER. There were others but I can't remember which breeds.

Though I have to admit that it was hysterical watching the animal control officer trying to explain how he'd determined these were Pit-Bulls, it made me extremely angry.

One of the dogs even (I can't remember which one) had registration papers listing a different breed and he still kept trying to say it was a Pit-Bull.

So it's stupid that they're banning dogs when the people enforcing the ban can't even tell which breed is which. Who's to know what breeds actually statistically attack more people (not that it matters since statistics are flawed), when the officers can't even get the breed right.

Most people with dangerous dogs don't even know what breed they have anyway.
I met a guy recently, who has an "akita" and is trying to make it mean so he can fight it. I didn't even bother to explain to him that his dog wasn't an akita, people like this won't listen anyway. It was probably 50 lbs with a really narrow long nose. The only resemblence it even had to an akita was long fur pointy ears and a curly tail. People like this are the ones who have dogs involved in attacks.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:29 PM
I met a guy recently, who has an "akita" and is trying to make it mean so he can fight it. I didn't even bother to explain to him that his dog wasn't an akita, people like this won't listen anyway. It was probably 50 lbs with a really narrow long nose. The only resemblence it even had to an akita was long fur pointy ears and a curly tail. People like this are the ones who have dogs involved in attacks.

can i put this guy in the Top Ten Types of People Who Should Never Own Dogs? :rolleyes:

sigh. i feel your pain :candle:

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
Aww, I missed out on a good debate. They always seem to happen when it's my supper time. Well, for all it's worth, I'm with TD, Prin, Meb999 and Angie's Man and there's nothing more to add cuz they covered it all. :thumbs up

Oh my, what a lovely smile Jemma has. It makes her devil eyes just sparkle. :D

OntarioGreys
August 22nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
whenever you see "high prey drive" regarding a breed, know it is not a breed for families with small children. Small children as they run and squeal can easily be mistaken for prey.)

:rolleyes: I have yet to hear of a retired racing greyhound attacking a child as prey, there have been bites(nips) most due to a child disturbing the dog when it is sleeping/resting

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:33 PM
let's write to the author and ask him to put "Greyhounds" in his list, based on his criteria, how could he have missed it? :D

(sarcasm)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
can i put this guy in the Top Ten Types of People Who Should Never Own Dogs?

There's a lot of people around here like that.
Look what state I live in, there's so many signs for "purebred so and so puppies" it's ridiculous. It seems like a lot of people around here don't put any value on the lives of their dogs. Dogs are disposable to a lot of people.

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 09:38 PM
There's a lot of people around here like that.Phew, I thought you were talking about here as in pets.ca...:o

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 09:42 PM
Phew, I thought you were talking about here as in pets.ca...

Just the "HLEP! My dog is sck pregnnt 6 mos old and I think she's Dying!!! Do I need a vet?" People.

Hope I don't get in trouble for that one, lol.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM
((( snicker )))

:highfive:

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 09:46 PM
heh heh.. We should open a new thread and make a list of who shouldn't have a doggy...

1) people who have ever said "it's just a dog"
2) people who wash their hands within 2 milliseconds of touching a dog
3) people who don't like the taste of dog fur
I could go on and on...:D

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:48 PM
4) macho guys who are too chicken to own a gun so they get a "mean dog"
5) superficial rich girls who need a matching accessory to their diamonds
6) families who get a dog for the suburban image but then tie it in the backyard 24/7 cuz they never had the time to housebreak the poor thing

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 09:51 PM
7) people who think dogs can play in yards by themselves
8) people who value their floors/sofas/furniture more than a living being
9) people who have kids and never intend to teach them how to approach and live with a dog.

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
hey prin, let's start a new thread with this theme, it's too good to pass up :crazy:

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Me or you?

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 10:07 PM
your honor, milady! :party: