Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food Question and Recommendations

Blueeyedapple
August 22nd, 2006, 02:53 PM
I know food questions are asked a million times.

I have a malamute who has some seriously stinky gas. I have tried Wellness (which made her fart the worst), Eagle Pack, Wolf King (Solid Gold) and Innova. I have also tried Canidae with my german shepherd (prior to getting the mal) but it makes her constipated.

In an effort to save my family from a horribly stinky gas death I am ready to try yet another food. I am considering Fromms Four Star or Go! Natural.

Another problem is that my dogs are picky little snots. So, my questions are - Has anyone tried either of the foods, if so do you have any comments with respect to them? Secondly, did your dog like them?

Thanks!

technodoll
August 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
i would suggest giving your dogs both digestive enzymes AND probiotics, since no matter the good kibble they are eating, they are not digesting them well. you can buy human-quality D.E. and probiotics in natural health food stores or drugstores. are your dogs used to getting tablets down their throat? it's the easy quick way :thumbs up

besides the gas, any other digestive problems such as belching, loose stools, etc?...

Blueeyedapple
August 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
No other problems, just the gas and just the Mal. The shepherd has no problems at all, she never farts.

Some foods seem to be much worse than others. Wellness was crazy, I wanted to sleep outside. The Wolf king is not nearly as bad.

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 04:57 PM
How long have you left them on each food?

SnowDancer
August 22nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
My Eskimo has been on Fromm's Four Star Salmon A La Veg since he was 10 months old - he is now 29 months. The Fromm's made a big difference to the little smooth operator - and Eskies do well on fish based diets. Before we switched his food we were all thinking Digestive Enzymes, but no need. He has also had the Whitefish and Potato - the little 24 lb. devil opened the super giant bag made to feed a family with 2 Rottis - he may have teeth the size of a Rotti - and the appetite - but has to watch his weight! Of the 2, I far prefer the Salmon - the Whitefish has a very strong fishy smell.

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
How long have you left them on each food?
Good question.
And did you switch gradually? Over how many days?

Blueeyedapple
August 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
All of the foods were tried for several months, Wellness she was on for about 6 months, Eagle Pack and Innova were about 4 each. Wolf King she has only been on for about 3 months but neither of the dogs seems to like it very much. And yes, always switched gradually.

I went to the petstore last night and spoke to the guy there, this is a small independent place and the owner is very good and very knowledgeable. I always used to get my food there until I moved.

He said both the Fromms and the Go! Natural were excellent foods of similar quality and ingredients. He suggested that my malamute might be gassy because she is eating too much as the packages always suggest feeding more than they really need. I told him I was changing anyway because they just don't seem to like the food. I chose the Go! Natural because it is Canadian, all other things being equal I figure I should support Canadian businesses. He gave me a trial bag so that if they didn't like it I could simply bring back the large, unopened bag and exchange it.

Well they LOVED it, picked through the old food to get at it and then left the old food behind. We will have to see how it goes. Hopefully, once they adjust, we will only have to deal with the smell of skunk (which she so loves to chase) and no more eye-watering farts!

The best part, this pet store will deliver to my home even though I am outside their usual delivery area. I think it was the list of pet products I go through every month that sold him!

Blueeyedapple
August 23rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Good question.
And did you switch gradually? Over how many days?

Oh and usually over the courst of 7-10 days, gradually including more new food, less old food.

That could be a bit of a challenge this time since they wouldn't eat the old food last night.

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 11:21 AM
The only problem I have with those (fromm and go natural) is that they both contain menadione sodium bisulfate. It's a synthetic vitamin K that has been banned for human consumption and a lot of pet food companies are removing it from their foods. Pet Curean (they make Go Natural) said in may that they would take 6 months to remove the menadione (so that's November).. Fromm never answered the email raYne sent about it...:shrug:

SnowDancer
August 23rd, 2006, 11:25 AM
Prin, I will ask the Groomer on Thursday when I take Elmo to socialization if she knows anything about the Vitamin K - she sells a ton of Fromm's Salmon A La Veg - she carries other high quality foods as well - this is where I buy the Northern Biscuits as well. I did e-mail Fromm's once after El opened the super giant bag of Whitefish to ask if they had any recipes! - and I received a response very quickly. If Groomer doesn't have any info, I will send an e-mail asking as well. He just does so well on this food.

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 07:02 PM
The only problem I have with those (fromm and go natural) is that they both contain menadione sodium bisulfate. It's a synthetic vitamin K that has been banned for human consumption and a lot of pet food companies are removing it from their foods. Pet Curean (they make Go Natural) said in may that they would take 6 months to remove the menadione (so that's November)..

The menadione is already removed from Go Natural. It is going to take them the six months to use up their supply of bags that still have it listed as an ingredient.

I think I deleted the email but it's posted on a different thread here somewhere. I'll look when I've got more time. :p

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 08:29 PM
Lucky I have you here rainbow. I never remember those things. :o Sorry.:o :o

It's all good then.

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 09:21 PM
Oh good, I don't have to look it up then. :D

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:24 PM
No, I remember now.:D It's a little late, but I remember.:o

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Wow, two apologies, when none was required. :D

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
I always admit when I'm wrong. It's a relatively new thing, but I do it now.:D

rainbow
August 24th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah, me too....stay out of trouble that way. ;)

Sorry, Blueeyedapple, for hijacking your thread. :sorry:

Glad you chose the Go Natural over the Fromm's :thumbs up :ca:

Please let us know how things work out. :fingerscr