Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

haircut bad

Maya
August 22nd, 2006, 03:24 PM
Does anyone know what the deal is if you get a bad haircut, can you get your money back? I got a terrible trim disaster last night. I totally explained what I didn't want and that's exactly what the stylist did :sad: I didn't realize till I got home because she had put all this goop in it and styled it all curly:evil: I know it's not that big of a deal but I actually started crying when it sunk in how much she took off, I didn't know I cared about my hair that much. I have to get it fixed but I don't want to let anyone at that salon get near my hair again. I haven't had this happen before even with really cheap haircuts and this was $40 which is a lot to me! Has this happened to anyone before? My bf says I should go and demand my money back but I'm not sure what to do. Any ideas are welcome!!!!

BeagleMum
August 22nd, 2006, 03:47 PM
My bf got a terrible haircut about 6 months ago, so short that he almost shaved it all off. I was in tears because he was so upset. I wouldn't let him go back in the place to complain because I knew he would kill someone (not literally). He just wore a hat for a few weeks then. I had to fix a lot of it and it took a good couple months for it to grow back to a notmal even length.

I am sorry to hear that it happened to you as well. That really sucks!!

Puppyluv
August 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
I doubt they'll refund you, but they should try and fix it if you ask, even though you don't trust them, it may be worth it. You may even be able to get another stylist to fix it for you, but that depends on how the salon is run (do the stylists rent their chairs, or is it all pooled?)

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 05:42 PM
I doubt that they would refund your money but I would think each salon would have their own policy. But, I would definitely go back and tell them that you're not satisified, because you never know. They may offer to do it over no charge or give you a credit for the next time. Even if you declined those offers, at least you let them know what you thought. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

SnowDancer
August 22nd, 2006, 06:31 PM
I also doubt you would get a refund - just perhaps a new style with another hairdresser. But you mentioned that a lot of your hair was cut off - once you rinsed your hair and saw it without the curls, how short was it and how was the style at that point. Remember, to restyle your hair, you are going to lose more of it so unless the cut itself is really bad, you might want to live with it. And, yes, it has happened to me. I have hair that hairdresser's love to work with because anything can be done to it - and has - and boy some really bad things have happened. There are some well known high end salons that totally ignore what you tell them - if you go there, you get the latest craze done to your hair - period. Avoid hairdressers who have just returned from courses and want to try the latest. When I lived in Ottawa my hairdresser of 5 years cut the front of my hair in a triangle - had my back to the mirror - he had just returned from a course and I had the perfect hair for him to practice on. End of that relationship.

Maya
August 22nd, 2006, 08:52 PM
I think it was the opposite problem with this girl she was not very interested, about half way through she started talking about how she was quitting and going to school in September because it was hard on her back etc. It's still almost down to my waist, I was just going in for a trim and a few layers at the bottom. She suggested going higher with the layers because she said it was heavy at the bottom, I unwittingly agreed on the condition that it was subtle and would blend in with the rest of the hair. It doesn't at all, it's a big layer chunk much shorter than the rest, leaving the bottom quite thin most obvious in the front by about five or six inches.

I think I will need more cut off at the bottom with a better layering. I won't be doing much styling, it has always layed quite nicely without much effort. At least it isn't a triangle shape that's pretty out there, I don't understand why some hairdressers want this control, it's not like they are the ones living with the hair(art project i guess). I'm sorry to hear the other stories but thanks for the advice, now i don't feel like i'm the only one going out and letting people screw up my hair:P What can you do:shrug: I guess the top wont catch up with the bottom, arg I really didn't need this:frustrated: I think i may justify getting it re-done somewhere else since i hardly ever do this and, :pray: it is an improvement.

Maxine
August 22nd, 2006, 10:04 PM
I work in the "service" industry, and I would say with the experience I have, they HATE to know that you could possibly do any damage to their reputation by telling people to not go there, so they usually do whatever is possible to make you happy. I would go back there and try to get what you want, you will be surprise how much they will care about it!! Good luck and let us know alright?:highfive:

Maxine

Maya
August 23rd, 2006, 01:04 AM
Well I went somewhere else. It turned out this girl had not angled the cuts, everything was straight across and I think she used regular scissors. We weren't able to fix it totally but it looks much better. I kind of knew it was going to be bad when I look back, her body language was i'm dragging myself to this chair to do something I hate and i'm so not interested. It's a chain and I believe I had a bad cut from the same place different mall about ten years ago. Same problem if i recall, though I blocked most of it out. Their website didn't even work when I was trying to find the number to call and complain:frustrated: The stupid stores are not even affiliated so the other store that I did find the number for said they'd charge full price to fix it. I don't like letting people get away with this sort of thing but I couldn't risk going back and having them wreck my hair even more, which I think they would have. I'm never going back and I will be telling people about the experience. The second cut was almost half the price, nicer place and a way nicer girl. So kinda happy ending and she helped me pick out some nice shampoo and conditioner that isn't tested on animals:)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 23rd, 2006, 01:09 AM
You should complain.
If you went to a salon, whoever did your hair is just one of the stylists.
If she won't make it right I would ask to talk to the owner or whoever runs the salon and tell them that you're not happy.
Salons don't like all kinds of complaints because then people won't want to go there anymore once they hear about a horrible stylist.
Good salons want their stylists to make the customers happy and if the stylist is constantly screwing up they may take care of it.
Who knows, maybe she's had other complaints and they'll understand. Either way, they'll often give you a refund or a free haircut.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 23rd, 2006, 01:11 AM
Wow, looks like I posted a couple minutes too late, lol.

Maya
August 23rd, 2006, 02:56 AM
:) That's okay I still might call and complain ask to talk to the manager or something:P I should have run the other way, my instincts are usually right I just don't listen enough!

SnowDancer
August 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Happy that you were able to have your hair fixed - well at least you are happier! My concern was that she had cut it so short that the only course of action would be to shape it, requiring further cutting. That is what happened to me. And I do not suit short hair with my pointy chin - and since my hair is seriously super thick and wavy, when it was short it grew out looking like a giant SOS pad - to keep a short style would need to be cut every 2 weeks. My hair is just above my shoulders but is layered so that I can scrunch it - even though I am diffuser challenged as well. I just put in some gel and let it be. When it was one length it was this big puff of hair - better once I grew it an extra couple of inches so I didn't have that "roll" at the back. But no layers, no scrunching. Every month I get it coloured - with "trims" every 2 months. Hairdresser can't believe how fast it grows. I am worried about next style though. Just turned 56 and at some point will have to do something. How I wish my grey was that gorgeous silver grey or pure white - would leave it. I greyed in my early 20s - iron grey of course and have single processed hair to my original auburn ever since - no eggplant shades - have made that my mission. Suits my skin tone. Sisters had the Irish blue/black hair - how I wish! - but they bleached it blonde and ruined it. Some justice! I tried on a black wig, but have a serious yellow undertone to my very fair skin and boy did I look bad. Not as bad as I did in the blonde wig though. One thing I will not do though is colour it "Angela Lansbury" taupe! Hope you continue to have a good relationship with your new hairdresser. Our type of hair is not cheap to style and very hard to find someone who can work with it.

Maya
August 23rd, 2006, 05:20 PM
If I had a decent income I would do more with my hair I didn't realize how much you had to do to keep it looking good. I thought it was pretty safe to just leave it be not use a dryer or many hair products but it got really dry, I think mainly from cheap shampoo and partly diet. It was amazing how the salon shampoo I just got changed the texture, it didn't even feel like my hair anymore. Don't know if i'll be able to replace it when it runs out but it's nice to see what's possible:shrug: I wonder if you can make your own shampoo out of eggs and stuff, I think I'll look into that because the commercial stuff is awful. The stylist I saw was saying that Pert Plus will actually cause you to go bald:eek: I didn't even know about the resting phase that hair goes through so i've learned a lot from this hair disaster!! SnowDancer it sounds like our hair and skin tone is very similar so can relate very well to each other's woes. Also thanks for the SOS pad analogy, it made me smile my hair also poofs up when it's short, I made that mistake just once:p

Slams_58
August 23rd, 2006, 05:54 PM
I'm a retired hairstylist (did it for 12 yrs and am burned out) and I've worked in a salon long enough to know that I had to fix alot of other people's screw ups (that worked n the same salon) and my boss would jsut pay me out for it directly. Word of mouth is a huge thing in the salon business so they should be happy to make YOU happy! I'm glad things worked out for you.

Maya
August 24th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Well I mustered up the nerve to at least call and tell them what happened. The manager said because I got it fixed she wouldn't know what went wrong, so she couldn't do anything about it, she wasn't very understanding. I even mentioned that the girl apparently used the wrong kind of scissors and didn't angle her cuts, which I'm assuming is something you should know how to do after eight years of styling. She said that this was one of her best stylists and she's never had any complaints before. I let her know at the end of the conversation that I would be telling people about the experience but she didn't seem to care:( :frustrated: If it had been my business I would have offered a credit or apologized at the very minimum. Tough luck I guess:shrug:

SnowDancer
August 25th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I did go back and how the worst of my haircuts to the manager and he said that the haircut was "perfect" based on the course they had all just taken. The fact that I looked ridiculous was beside the point - and he knew I had been going there for years and always just wanted a "trim". That is my favourite haircut word "trim". My hair has always been very dry - sometimes I sleep with olive oil on it - although almond smells better. But when shampooing out, have to tell you it is a whole lot easier to rinse out the olive - 3 shampoos with the almond and it was still there - had the "wet" look - not a good look for me. Suggest you use your salon shampoo sparingly - it should be very concentrated so that a bottle will last you much longer than a d/s brand - and it shouldn't really lather if it is for your hair type. I have to use a gel to define the wave - bought something by Redken in the US called "Ringlet" 07 by Redken. Had just come in and it works well - not too heavy. With such heavy hair, too heavy a gel will weigh hair down, too light will do zip. Haven't searched Canada for it recently - but at time of purchase it most definitely wasn't available here. After trying it for 3 days in hotel, I bought 5 just in case. Still working on them - they have a 2 year shelf life.

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 06:41 PM
"Ringlet" 07 by Redken. Thank you, i'll be looking around for this. If I can't find it I might ask one of the drug stores if they can order it because I get frizzes pretty bad, especially just after it drys and nothing seems to help. I'll also try the olive oil, we just got a big container but for some reason it made my throat scratchy, so I can hopefully use it on my hair without problems:fingerscr It turned out I was allergic to my salon shampoo too and have been madly scratching my head for the last few days:rolleyes: Luckily they were very nice at the salon and exchanged it for a different kind and even told me to come back if I had any more problems. I'll definitely use it sparingly, it's good to get the warning because i'm used to using a whole handful of the cheap stuff. If I had gone back to the first place I suspect they would have said my hair looked okay also, disregarding the fact that the mushroom cloud shape didn't really do anything for me.

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 09:11 PM
O shoot I forgot the Redken is probably tested on animals. That sucks.:rolleyes:

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Here are two links that BoxerRescueMTL posted...
Companies who do not test on animals:
http://www.astrostar.com/DO-NOT-Test.htm
Companies who do:
http://www.astrostar.com/DO-Test.htm

Redken's on the do not list.:highfive:

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 10:23 PM
Thanks! :)

RVT092481
August 27th, 2006, 10:29 PM
warning :offtopic:
Great list Prin. I was surprised that on the "do use" site, there were a lot of companies that are in the animal industry either making pet foods or drugs or products for pets (Colgate-Palmolive, Pfizer, Procter & Gamble Co., Schering-Plough). Made me go hhmmmmm.....:confused:

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Oh yeah, they're the worst! Haven't you heard of the bad testing they do? Makes you cringe and fall to the ground into the fetal position.:yell:

Maya
August 27th, 2006, 10:40 PM
I think it's still on topic, close enough.:thumbs up :)

SnowDancer
August 28th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Just a thought - have you been using botanical shampoos - e.g. Aveda etc.? I suffer from ragweed/hayfever and can't take anti-histamine and have serious skin and hair issues with most botanicals/algae. Trick is to find a product that is rich, moisturizing and doesn't itch. Not easy. I am also very acidic and everything changes on me so basically have one lipstick, one blush etc. when I am lucky. My husband recently gave our Eskie a bath and used the wrong shampoo - Oatmeal with ALOE VERA. I had a migraine for 3 days - can't handle the Aloe. And of course it is my pillow that El likes to rest his whole body on - good news is that he now fits better since as of Thursday at 6:00 p.m. he had lost the required 5 lbs. as ordered by the vet. The lean Elmo machine! Bad news is that all hair is on the pillow. Also loves to hug my face - I think he likes my creams.

Maya
August 29th, 2006, 02:17 AM
That's interesting, how do you know if you are acidic? I've heard that can lead to bone loss. I think the allergen bothering me was wheat protein, i'm using Bumble and bumble but switched to a different type without wheat and it's not bothering me now. Lots of stuff irritates me too, so I don't have many products, luckily I can take anti-histamines if it gets bad, I have issues with the pain meds on the other hand.:p I've been okay with most Marcelle products so far, and they list the product ingredients on their website which is most convenient.

Maya
August 29th, 2006, 02:28 AM
:eek: What am I supposed to use instead of Arm & Hammer baking soda? I guess I'll have to find an expensive health food store brand. It didn't occur to me that they tested too.

SnowDancer
August 29th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Maya, I develop acid based kidney stones - that was a very good clue! I do not have gastritis or related stomach problems, it is all in the blood - and I really have to watch foods that are high say in potassium - and of course I absolutely love orange foods - melons, squash etc. - which are the devil for me as are legumes - anything high in purines and oxalic acid - and of course Vitamin C. Makeup turns on me - a dark brown lipstick can turn hot pink/orange in a moment. My hair is coloured its natural auburn - but hairdresser has to really mix carefully or else heaven only knows what shade I would get. So with me it is trial and error. I try to avoid products that are tested on animals to best of my ability - but I am also aware that lists are not always up to date. Until recently I was pretty much using one line of skin care until the inevitable reformulation with acids that I just can't use - and the line no longer tested on animals - used to, under a previous ownership. On another forum a girl who had received and happily used a free 30 day supply of the entire range of recommended products for her skin type decided the day after products were used up to check PETA and found the brand listed so immediately wrote a scathing review pointing this out and wrote a nasty letter to the company - of course it went to the wrong people. She was blasted by many a user of this product. I do use A & H baking soda and vinegar - breathing is necessary to take care of my dog. I do have a generic brand - but you know it doesn't work as well - go figure. I changed hairdressers about 6 months ago and they do use Bumble products. The conditioner I used previously was bottled under my former hairdresser's name - don't know who made it, but I could use it. I did buy a Bumble conditioner last month, but it does not contain any known botanicals - other versions did - I smelled them all - one was really wild when it came to scent. If product does contain minute quantities of an offending botanical I can sometimes get away with it - if not - my eyes will start to swell. My husband uses one of those leave on spray shower cleanser downstairs - well I did tell him the product is an eye irritant as is clearly now labelled right on front of product. I can't even go into the basement after he has showered. I asked him to think about it - you spray the stuff and don't rinse it off. Next time you shower you are in there with the fumes. Now wonder his is always rubbing his eyes. And he doesn't have ragweed and can take anything to fall asleep - annoys the heck out of me.