Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question - Re: Death of a dog

Caileag
August 22nd, 2006, 07:56 AM
I have a question about something someone posted on another forum that I frequent.

Someone posted that they had just had the worst day of their life...they (husband and wife) had packed up their things and their 19 week old labrador retriever puppy (who from the pictures looked a lot older than 19 weeks - she may have meant 19 months) to go on a camping trip for 4 days.

On the way the dog was sleeping on her lap (now in the pictures this dog looks around 50 pounds!) and the truck window was open. She was holding onto his leash and out of no where the dog leaps out the window with her still holding the leash. They dragged the dog down the highway for a few seconds (which when you are being dragged I am sure feels a lot longer) and then when she let go of the leash they ran him over. He was still alive but was put to sleep hours later, as he was suffering. :(

Most people were sympathetic and felt bad for her - I on the other hand, along with a few others was outraged. I didn't say anything, but I really wanted to.

What are your views on this? Should I feel bad for her or am I right to just want to drag her down a highway for a little while?

I told this story not to make people sad, but to put out awarness that stuff like this does happen when you don't use common sense.

Angies Man
August 22nd, 2006, 01:27 PM
Can't tell you how you should feel.

I can tell you from personal experience that the woman is feeling more than enough pain without you 'helping' her. She's feeling the shock and loss of losing her puppy and the self recriminations of 20/20 hindsight, "If only I had. . ."

On the scale of awful mean, negligent owners, she's probably not even a blip. Accident's happen, try as we might to the contrary, sometimes they just happen.:(

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Labs, especially lab puppies, and open car windows DON'T mix.

Sure, this woman must be hurting, and it was an accident but at the same time, there is some common sense lacking, IMO. The way you describe things unfolding, I don't think the car was moving very slowly, nor was she in a position to predict how her lab would react. :shrug: What's wrong with opening the window half way?

Maya
August 22nd, 2006, 02:12 PM
It sounds kind of strange sleeping one moment leaping out the window the next, maybe he was already leaning out the window, i've seen a lot of dogs doing that. Also at first maybe she was trying to hold the leash because she thought that was better than letting the dog fall? It all may have happened rather quickly. I knew some irresponsible people that left their dog tied up on the back porch and one of their children found the dog hung. It's kind of like placing a baby in one of those plastic carry seats and placing it on top of the stove as if it's no big deal because the elements are turned off. If I had a dog on my lap I wouldn't have the window all the way open because I would be nervous something like that might happen. Not to say she did right or wrong but if it was the worst day of her life she probably did learn a very painful lesson.

Angies Man
August 22nd, 2006, 11:24 PM
Long ago, I lost a dog out of my pickup cab while sitting in a construction zone. She was a small young lab, had on a collar and a leash which was tied to my seatbelt. Not enough lead for her head to actually get out the window, but she twisted as she lunged and the body went out and she slipped her collar. My traffic was stopped, but there was traffic in the opposite lane--she ran under a tractor trailer and was killed by the rear wheels of the truck.

Common sense? I don't know, I felt bad, I felt responsible, I saw it all and still can't really comprehend it. It was hot, and the windows were open because otherwise the truck was pretty intolerable. She didn't have enough lead to jump out, but she did anyway.

It's easy to get mad at the poor woman, she shoulda, she coulda, if only she woulda. But she didn't anticipate every single contingency--and maybe she had a bit less experience that lots of us. I only feel sympathy--mostly she was loving her dog and she had to watch it die.:(

Maya
August 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
Accidents and mistakes are going to happen, all we can do is keep trying our best :shrug:

Caileag
August 23rd, 2006, 07:57 AM
I completely agree with the fact that it was not done intentionally, and I don't doubt that she feels terrible and that she really loved her dog.

It's just upsetting because a tragedy such as this could have easily been avoided.

I know I am not perfect by any means and I am a new dog owner and learning as I go, but there are just certain things that I know could be very dangerous for my dogs and I would rather not risk it.

I do feel bad for her and the dog because it was a very hard lesson to learn. :sad: