Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat Pregnancy question.. yes, I read the pregnancy thread.

CKayser
August 22nd, 2006, 01:59 AM
Hello,
I am new here and have a question. I will start out with some history.
I had a wonderful loving cat for 13 years he was 17 when he passed away last year. My 13 year old daughter wanted to get a new cat and we were looking high and low for an adult cat who needed a home. It seemed at the time that every cat in town had a loving home.... I asked my mother to keep her eyes out for something that we would like to add to our household....
Well on the same day that I agreed to take a work friends Female 1.5 yr old cat, my mother brought to my home a 8 month old male cat. After great discussion we decided to keep both.
Neither were fixed so my first job was to take them to the vet. Done, everyone got shots and appointments were made to get them fixed. First Rocky, the male. Great! He's fixed. Done
Next Abby, the female. I had to wait for 2 weeks for a payday. Well, She's pregnate and it's not my male. She came to me that way. I didnt know it until the vet told me. He said we could fix her and thus term the pregnancy or wait until after the kittens come.
We decided to wait, as several members of my family have decided to add a kitten to there household. Everything is great.
I have had her 3.5 weeks. I dont know how far along she is. The vet guessed about 2 to 3 weeks. so I am guessing today she is about 5 to 6 weeks.
However, she is most friendly NOW, her breasts have milk, and her belly is HUGE!!! I can feel the babies moving inside her.
My question is this, my male will not leave her alone, he keeps trying to mount her. CONSTANTLY!! At this point he is actually hurting her by holding her down and biting. I have a large pet carrier, I had for my chow chow years ago, and I had been toying with the idea of putting her in there at night but even after a good washing and nice mommy smelling towels she wont stay in there. I worry she will hurt herself. She bites the locks open.
What should I do?
I am not cozing up to the idea of torn out carpet under my doors. (Which I now have on 1 bedroom door) I dont like having her in the pen as she is spending hours trying to get out and Im afraid it will do her more damage than good and the male will not leave her be. Any Idea's?
I did give her a birthing box, a box with towels in it and she will sleep there but the male jumps in and trys to mount her.

Thanks.

Catherine :confused:

jesse's mommy
August 22nd, 2006, 03:34 AM
I think they need to be separated. I don't have any cats, but from what I've learned is that the mother to be needs her space and needs to be safe. Is there anyway you can put the birthing box in a closet of a bedroom and keep the door shut? I'm sure someone will chime in here eventually with more advice. Good luck.

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 07:00 AM
I know there will be others to help offer suggestions and tips I also think they need to be separated, is your bathroom carpeted? Can you put her in the bathroom at night? Or if you are wanting her to have more freedom to roam, what happens when you put the boy away? Does he go crazy in the crate(lrg pet carrier) is it big enough for litter food/water etc...? I would try putting him in the bathroom, trim his nails, put toys, fun stuff so he'll be amused, and mommy-to-be will have some peace and quiet, have you tried spritzing him with water when he chases/mounts her? Male kittens (neutered or not) seem to do this at that age for awhile and if he was just neutered recently it makes alittle more sense. Sorry I'm not that big of a help, just throwing out some ideas, good luck

White Wolf
August 22nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Double post. Closed to avoid confusion.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29884