Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Potty Training New Puppy? Help

SimbaPaws
August 21st, 2006, 08:20 PM
I have a 4 months old puppy that I got from the pound. I have two other dogs who are potty trained by the doggy door. I am trying to get her to use the doggy door too. She understands to potty outside and that the outside is accessible by the doggy door. She has even gone out on her own to go to the bathroom. She has accidents in the house sometimes and is there anything I can do to get her to go out on her own without needing me there? Does she just need more time? Shes a very smart dog and fast learner. Its just the accidents that I think are giving her the idea its ok to go in the house, even tho shes scolded when she does and praised when she goes outside. If any has any potty training tips, please fill me in. Thank You

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 08:32 PM
SimbaPaws, welcome to the board. How long have you had your puppy? As she is only four months old I think you should still be going outside with her. Give her a little more time. We'd love to see pics of her and your other two dogs. :dog: :pawprint:

SimbaPaws
August 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
I had her a month now. I have plenty of pictures, I take them every chance I get. Can you tell me how to post them or what not? I'm very new to this. My other dogs were potty trained to the doggy door almost immediately, I guess my little Simba needs more time. Thanks

~michelle~
August 21st, 2006, 10:25 PM
you should try going out with her therefore you can offer her praise as she goes outside immediately so she can make the direct correlation between going outside and it being a "good thing" to do. if you wait till she's back in the house the reward is not immediate enough and may take her longer to learn. Is she going in the same spot when she has her accidents? you make want to look in to a different cleanser for the floor from the pet store.
Good luck and congrats on the new pup!

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
I have plenty of pictures, I take them every chance I get. Can you tell me how to post them or what not?

I'm sorry but I'm not computer savy enough to explain. There are others on this board that will let you know when they read this post. :D

MyBirdIsEvil
August 22nd, 2006, 04:25 AM
Its just the accidents that I think are giving her the idea its ok to go in the house, even tho shes scolded when she does and praised when she goes outside.

What do you mean by scolded?
If you catch her in the act loudly say "NO!" and then "OUTSIDE" while you carry her outside. After she goes potty outside praise her as soon as she goes and maybe give her a treat. If you wait too long she won't associate going outside with the treat.
Never scold her after the fact, just ignore it and clean it up.

If she's having accidents in the house while you're not watching, that is your fault not hers. An unhousebroken puppy should never be unsupervised. By leaving her unsupervised there is no one there to correct her as she's doing it so there's no way for her to learn that it's not ok.
A 4 month old puppy is also likely to find anything and everything there is to chew on, even if you didn't know there WAS anything for them to chew on, so you should always supervise her.
If you keep leaving her unsupervised she'll learn that it's not ok to go potty in the house when you're in the same room, but if you're not there it's ok.

mafiaprincess
September 4th, 2006, 04:21 PM
www.photobucket.com you need an account on a site like that then post the url to the pic here.

You may have issues potty training you pup while she has mucous in her urine. Fix that before worrying about accidents.