Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

PuppyMill Report August 25th CTV Montreal

poodletalk
August 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
I think some of you read the story of my friends dog that was rescued from a puppymill in Montreal. If you didn't click on this link
http://www.awarenessday.org/snoopy.htm

The person who rescued Snoopy had a hidden camera on them, CTV will be playing the tape from the hidden camera, plus Linda RObertson the director and founder of the SPCA Monteregie will be interviewed.

Here's the info about the report

The reports on Puppy Mills and Pet Shops will be airing this weekend as part of CTV Montreal's On Assignment show. (CTV: Channel 12)

The short version will be on the 6 o'clock News on Friday, August 25th. The complete 1/2 hour version will air Sunday, August 27th, at 6:30pm.

The complete version includes discussion with Mutsumi Takahashi and guests.

Although 1/2 hour just scratches the surface on the problem of Puppy Mills, the reporter hopse it will provide some education to the public.

Writing4Fun
August 21st, 2006, 02:14 PM
I've marked my calendar. Thanks for letting me know! :thumbs up

Golden Girls
August 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
If anyone has comments on the show, feel free to send them to onassignment@ctv.ca.

My research began several months ago, but I owe the completion of these reports to the people who've been helping animals for years.

Thank you all for everything!
Karla
Karla Kaminski
Researcher
On Assignment - CTV News
1205 Papineau
Montreal, H2K 4R2

K9Friend
August 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM
You bet I"ll be watching it! :frustrated:

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 11:21 AM
They had a preview on the news just now and it was so sad.:sad: :sad:

BoxerRescueMTL
August 25th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Turn on your t.v. to CTV now :) It should be on soon!!

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I'm so scared that it's going to be so sad.:sad:

BoxerRescueMTL
August 25th, 2006, 05:15 PM
I know :( But at least it might help open some people's eyes..

Prin
August 25th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Did I miss it? It's probably the same one I saw at noon- just the preview for the one sunday at 6:30.

BoxerRescueMTL
August 25th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Ya it was just on. Only for about a minute or two - but it looks like it will be really good!! Well bad/sad but great for the general public's education.

Golden Girls
August 27th, 2006, 09:25 AM
REMINDER ... CTV News tonight 6h30 "Montreal on Assignment"

Sattelite: CTV-M (CTV Channel 12) Please take the time to watch this program (as horrible as it no doubt will be)and tell as many people about it as possible. It would be great if you could send your comments whether it be a word, a sentence, a paragraph or a novel ... the animals and all the people who spent their lives trying to expose this is counting on your responses. Let's force the government to to do something about the tragic life our animals are legally forced to live like for the entire lives :sad:

This is our chance to make a difference!

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Bell ExpressVu channel 205. :thumbs up

Golden Girls
August 27th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Did anyone tape it :fingerscr with all the rain ... sattelite is down :( missed more then 1/2 of it :confused:

Melinda
August 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/on_assignment

you can read it all here in 3 parts

badger
August 27th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I was just nodding off when Barnoti challenged the Anima woman on resource sharing and things got a bit more lively. But I thought the program was short on information. How do these 'inspectors' of puppy mills/breeders operate? Do they make appointments? Do they cooperate with the SPCA (clearly as little as possible). And the industry guy, what a cutie. They love the steady-as-you-go approach (advocated by Anima) because it gives the industry time to 'adjust' so the money keeps flowing.
A billion dollars a year.
And everyone's afraid of rescue (the rads) gaining too much influence.

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I missed it too (satellite :().. But this bit?
There are some excellent pet stores out there. Unfortunately, thereís some unscrupulous ones. Thatís where I come in and I try to work and improve the standards in the industry.
What?! How does that help anything?

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 06:57 PM
K, this mccann guy is a moron who isn't helping...

Mutsumi: Should pet shops be in the business of selling animals at all?
McCann: Absolutely. I think that they should abide to the responsibilities of anybody else that offers an animal for sale or adoption. They offer an animal thatís healthy. They offer a good warranty and they offer proper information.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

dtbmnec
August 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM
K, this mccann guy is a moron who isn't helping...

Mutsumi: Should pet shops be in the business of selling animals at all?
McCann: Absolutely. I think that they should abide to the responsibilities of anybody else that offers an animal for sale or adoption. They offer an animal thatís healthy. They offer a good warranty and they offer proper information.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Ok stupid question but why not compromise?

I open a pet store full of rescue animals and sell them to make money for the various rescues (ok and a bit of money for me to keep it open too duh). But you can't the pet home right away you have to go through a screening process (like with any other rescue) and it would depend on the rescue how much screening it would take. So I suppose instead of a "pet store" its more like a "one stop shopping for rescue animals"....

Or maybe I'm on crack...if I am just let me know...lol

Megan

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Yeah, they do that in Ontario. There's none of that here. I think one or two places tried, but I'm not sure they still do it. It's a great idea, but not as profitable as pumping out cute puppies.:sad:

Here it's all puppymill puppies in pet stores, but I guess because of some legality or something, they can't say all, and they can say some are good or something, even though it's just misinformation. No good breeder will let a puppy go home with somebody they've never met.

Golden Girls
August 27th, 2006, 08:11 PM
I think the only thing that we can be sure of is:

McCann wants pet stores to continue selling puppies. 15% sales tax on every puppy sold.

Anima-Quebec only has $150,000 budget + donations and 4 inspectors therefore their hands are tied so they pretend to go to work and just do lunch instead. Oh let's not forget their the only ones that have the P-42 mandate ... they can legally enter a puppy mills and seize animals without a warrant but lack both manpower and funds.

SPCA would like to at least share the mandate. Is willing to donate half a million dollars from donators to begin some seizures but cannot because McCann feels it would not be in the best interest seeing he's against pet store puppies and also because he acts as a pound.

It's officially settled ... everyone's hands are tied :sad:

Prin
August 27th, 2006, 08:14 PM
:sad: Too bad the SPCA (montreal) is filthy rich and can't share it's wealth.:( Nobody wins.

K9Friend
August 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
I thought Mutsumi's comment on 'turf wars' between animal rescues, shelters was interesting! :rolleyes:

Writing4Fun
August 27th, 2006, 08:36 PM
I thought the 'turf wars' she was referring to was aimed more at Anima and SPCA. :confused: I sure got frustrated with that conversation real fast. I missed the first 10 minutes of the show (darned kids :mad: ). I agree that there was a lot of misinformation being spouted by McCann. Some pet stores are honorable - yeah, sure. :frustrated: I'm surprised Barnoti didn't jump in at that point to clarify - trying to avoid the libel suits, I suppose. :rolleyes:

K9Friend
August 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Her exact words:

Mutsumi: This is what I think I find troubling for those of us outside looking in, arenít we, arenít we all here because we care about the animals and what we constantly seem to see are turf wars between different organizations who instead of what we think should maybe that you should all be working together, it seems to be a turf war.

Writing4Fun
August 28th, 2006, 11:16 AM
That's right. "You should all be working together." Meaning the three people at the table, no?

Prin
August 28th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think she may have meant it that way, but it really does apply in a general way too, IMO.