Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stopped a friend from getting puppy

Dog Dancer
August 21st, 2006, 02:22 PM
This morning a friend came to me and was asking me about a Belgian Shep/Dingo that someone wanted to give him. I was saying it was most likely a Belgian crossed heeler or something, but gave him a bit of info on the activity level of this type of dog and walking requirements and such. He said they hadn't seen the dog yet but they would be going out to see it this week and maybe bring it home. It will be 4 WEEKS OLD:eek: I just about went through the roof!!! I said NO, NO, NO. The person who wanted to give him the dog was totally irresponsible giving away such young puppies and he would come to regret taking a pup so young as it would be ill prepared for many things in later life. I told him to look into a rescue or on petfinder and definitely not to go to a pet store. Double :eek: Anyhow, work broke into our discussion, but I will have to have another chat with him and try to find him a good rescue dog. We're in Vancouver so we should be able to find something if he's interested enough. I think it was mostly the idea that someone was going to give him this dog (although he has plenty of money to buy and care for one - I think the idea just caught him here). Anyhow, I feel so bad for these puppies - apparently there are only two and the owner just wants to get rid of them:( Some people :yell:

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Poor puppies! There's no way he could inform the person that they are going to kill these dogs indirectly (or even directly) by letting them go so young?

People suck.

I'm glad you convinced him though. It's so hard to convince people not to get a dog they've got their mind set on.:frustrated:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
If the guy was giving the puppies away for free I would have taken one myself and at least tried to keep alive.
The guy wouldn't be making any money on them and most likely if no one takes one he's just going to kill the puppies, or give them away to some little kid and the puppy is going to die anyway.
IMO it woulda been better to take the puppy and take it to the vet and try to feed it and keep it alive than the guy just killing it anyway or letting someone else do it :sad: .
That or I would have taken it to a shelter, the ones here sometimes have a mama dog that can feed orphaned puppies, or they'll at least try to keep it alive by giving it puppy formula. If not they would humanely euthanize it, which is better than the fate they'll most likely have now.

Dog Dancer
August 21st, 2006, 02:41 PM
Hey Prin, he actually seemed to have implied to me that she gave one puppy away at two weeks. I said that dog will die. So yes, I did tell him that in all likelyhood the dogs would not survive or would be sickly and ill prepared for life. I'd love to get hold of the mother dog and remove her from such a stupid owner. When he left he said - well I knew there was a reason I came to talk to you about this. So at least he seems to have taken heed of my warning. Wish I could rescue the pup now. I should tell him to take it and then get it into a rescue, lest some other poor uninformed and unprepared person takes it and kills it. Breaks my heart. Wish I could take it myself, but I can't. Perhaps I should contact a rescue today and see if they can help if we can get the pup.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 21st, 2006, 02:51 PM
:eek: 2 weeks?
:mad: You're better off just killing the pup than letting it slowly starve to death. Some people are idiots.

LavenderRott
August 21st, 2006, 03:20 PM
Run - don't walk - away from these puppies. Turn the "owner" into the authorities.

Belgian Shepherds are serious working dogs and the developmental damage done by removing a pup from it's mother and siblings at such a young age can be catastrophic.

I am all for saving animals but to take a puppy or two and feed it to "keep it alive" is pretty irresponsible in my opinion. These puppies are going to need so much more then just the ability to breath and eat as they get older. The single most important thing they are going to need is someone with a serious knowledge of how to handle a powerful dog with drive that knows absolutely nothing about interacting with other animals. Pretty risky.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
I said:

I would have taken one myself

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I was talking about me personally, not the person who was going to take the puppy.
I know how much work a high drive dog that has problems is, and personally I would have seeked out professional help for training etc..
I totally agree that someone that doesn't know what kind of problems a puppy in that situation might have shouldn't have taken it.

[edit]

Ok I should clarifiy that I would have completely went off on the guy trying to give the puppies away too.

Dog Dancer
August 21st, 2006, 04:15 PM
These are exactly the things I told my friend. I told him to start off with the dog would be a high level activity dog and need lots of exercise and stimulation as both the Belgian Shep and Dingo(Heeler) would be a handful. I then explained to him how much the dog would be missing in the knowledge/behavior dept. by being removed from it's mother/littermates so young. Not only would it probably have health issues from lack of nursing, it would likely have behavioral and temperment issues as a result, and it wouldn't be something that he would be responsible for despite his best efforts as a dog owner he may never be able to offset the damage done by removing the pups so young. In regards to reporting the owners (whom I do not know) I'm not sure if the SPCA would do anything about it?

MyBirdIsEvil
August 21st, 2006, 04:19 PM
Some SPCA's are better than others.
The one where I'm from would go check, but if all the puppies were gone and no one could prove how old they were, etc., there's nothing they can do.
It's worth calling them though I guess.