Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Getting Older

LibbyP
August 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
This really is more of a comment and a sadness coming to our home, when you have older pets that you see and interact with everyday you kind of forget how old and slow they have become. My old man be will be 13 in Dec, he sees shadows and he can hear you clapping(that's how I get his attention now) well anyway here is my story, Friday night the weather was so nice and I couldn't sleep kids were gone with my parents for the weekend so at 12:30ish am I decide to take the dogs for a walk, we weren't going at a fast pace because we really had no place to go. I haven't taken the old boy for walks lately or to the dog park as he is so sore after for days vet just tells me he's getting old. So anyway on our walk I watch him his head is sort of hanging staring straight ahead on occasion if we went from a dark to lite spot he would lift his head alittle, he stumbled acouple times and rounding the corner of our street to come home I was nearly dragging him to make it home, we couldn't walk any slower and I cannot carry him(63lbs) home and walk the big girl. I'm getting alittle teary writing this I feel just awful leaving him at home when I do go out with the big girl, it just kills me he was my first ever foster puppy, he slept most of Sat and Sun now today he is moving but slow again poor old boy. Thats my Friday night story, any thoughts from members with older pets would be greatly appreciated, sorry not sure if this is the right forum to post so pls feel free to move if needed:dog:

dakar
August 21st, 2006, 10:01 AM
I so feel for you. Our older guy is 12 and, like yours hard of hearing and seeing. It is sad to see then grow old. Our Brittany still wants to be young and every now and then tries to get up some energy - especially to say 'hello' or 'good morning' to his family but it's a pretty weak effort. We had the same experience walking ours that you had walking yours, about a year ago. We weren't sure we were going to make it home. Now we take him for special walks - sometimes alone and sometimes with the pup. But we walk slowly and only go for about 15 mins or 1/2 hour at a time. Then later we take the pup alone for a brisk hour to ensure her exercise. Our old guy still loves his walks but just can't keep up with the young one. The best times for him are when my 72 year old Mom is here. She walks him becasue she says they are at the same place. Just two seniors out for a stroll. He loves it and so does she.

mama samoan
August 21st, 2006, 10:30 AM
Poor old guy sounded like he was really tired but probably enjoyed the first part. Maybe he could go for shorter walks with you and when the younger dog goes for her big walks he gets a really special treat to relax with.. I am sure you would never have taken him that far if you thought it was going to be a problem for him.

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Old doggies get so much happiness from little things. While you might think leaving him behind is terrible, to him, it might be the perfect break from all the noise. :)

I've had senior doggies. It's sad to watch them get old so quickly, but at the same time, to know that you've been there for these doggies and given them a happy second (or third or fourth) life all the way through is something special.

I'm so scared of Jemma and Boo getting old. They're both 5 now and both have white beardies, but they'll forever be my puppies.

Doggies are here such a short time, but hopefully what we get from their short stay is an appreciation for the things around us. Dogs love freely and enjoy life freely and at every opportunity they get. If some of that intensity rubs off on us, we'll carry them with us forever.:)

Maya
August 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
I have a soft spot for old doggies they are so sweet, I hope one day I can have a dog and see him into old age. This might be a silly idea because he may rather have quiet time, or just totally not do this, but might he let you pull him in a wagon? I can just imagine him having a leisurely ride leaning over the edge smelling flowers and feeling the breeze :love:

Frenchy
August 21st, 2006, 09:07 PM
I too can relate.I know Daisy is uncomfortable because of her tumour.But lately,all her symptoms are more those of an old gal.I take the boys out for a walk,then it's Daisy's walk.For the past 3 weeks,she can't follow the boys anymore.I know she doesn't like it,she used to be the leader on every walks.But it's kind of cool,just me and her!She has hard time coming up the patio steps.She sleeps a lot.As long as she is not suffering.Don't worry about the old guy Libby,I'm sure you already take good care of him and I'm sure he apreciates it.

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 09:15 PM
Libby, you are a loving mom and take very good care of your babies. :thumbs up

It sounds to me that he isn't really enjoying a walk like that. But you and your old boy are very close and only you can tell what's best for him.

Smiley14
August 21st, 2006, 09:43 PM
My heart breaks reading your post because I've been there before as well. I've had two senior doggies so far in my life. They are their own special blessing! But there is just something so sad about it all as well. I know others have suggested it already, but I too would suggest a very short little walk by himself. I used to take Bumper (my springer spaniel) on a "walk" to the mailbox and back. It was only about a 5 minute trip, but we took our leisurely time and it was just enough for her. She was still able to enjoy the outdoors, but didn't get stressed by not knowing if she could make it back home again. There is nothing so heartbreaking as seeing your baby too tired to make it home. So rather than set him up for failure, let him succeed on a very short walk instead. He maintains some dignity without losing complete freedom that way.
My Max wasn't able to make it even to the mailbox at the end, so I would just sit with him in the backyard. It was only a few steps and he could at least have some fresh air that way. I would just bring a book and settle down for a little quiet time together on the grass.
You've probably already done this, but does your boy have arthritis? Arthritis medicine made a world of difference for both of mine for as long as it was able to work for them.

Please give your old man a hug for me! :love:

Steph

doggy lover
August 22nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
I was watching a older dog and its owner out on a walk the other day. Like yours it was tottering and a little off balance, I felt sorry for it and sorry for the owner that would one day have to make a decision on having to have the dog pts. I think it would be so hard to say when its the right time, one day might be good another bad. I guess its when the bad outweigh the good. I thought of my Travis (at 9 and a half) and was kind of glad I did not have to make that choice for him, as with bone cancer their was no other choice.
Maybe take your older one on walks on its own, just shorter ones, let it decide when its time to go home. I guess all in all its a bitter sweet situation. We still have them and love them, but hate what age is doing to them.:angel:

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 10:21 AM
Thank you everyone, your kind words mean alot, I think I am way more sensitive towards the old man as I've had him since he was 4 wks old, others have come and gone but he is my sweetest, best boy ever.

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Just one more

Slams_58
August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
I can totally relate. I've had my Samoyed, Chinook, for 10.5 years. She was 6 weeks old when we got her. She has been there thru both kids and has now put up with Macy our Shiba Inu ( I think that's why Macy is the loving little brat that she is). She's got the most amazing personality and is such a beautiful animal that it kills me to watch her slowly get up off the floor... or find her never coming to sleep by my bed anymore, since the stairs are such an effort. She loves to still go for walks.. but they are a 1/4 of the walk she used to love. She used to be my jogging companion, but now if she runs too much, she hurts worse. The vet's say her health is great, she's just getting creaky. I dread the day that she's no longer with me. I just hope that I have the strength to be able to let her go before she's suffering. I think that's a couple years away still ( crossing my fingers). I wish I could keep her forever!

Slams_58
August 22nd, 2006, 10:32 AM
Here's how my hubby found her when he got up for work the other day... my dog's are treated horribly can't you tell! :D

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 11:02 AM
Oh my Slams 58, Chinook, looks wonderful, and yes it's hard when to don't lay beside your bed, Hoover makes the stairs some days but it's a slow process(one stair at a time), and if it's dark - nope he doesn't even try:sad: I think older/wiser dogs teach alot to the second, it's a wonderful thing to see, hope you many more years ahead with your beautiful :queen:

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 11:53 AM
Chinook is beautiful! :love:

Libby, some doggies just seem to click with us and those are the hardest to let go of. :sad: My dobie was like that. He was my best friend and was so tuned into me and vice versa. I still miss him and wonder if I'll ever have a relationship like that with another dog.

All you can do is love him to pieces while he's here.:grouphug:

Frenchy
August 22nd, 2006, 05:24 PM
All right,it gives me an excuse to post a pic from Daisy....and Libby,if your oldie is like mine,take him for a walk alone and he will tell you when to turn around,Daisy does! There slow and short walks,but quality over quantity.

LibbyP
August 22nd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Thank you Frenchy, I'm sure now I should change this to ' Thoughts on Dignified Oldies' I just love how they turn silver around the eyes and nose, makes them look like very dignified :king: and :queen:

Slams_58
August 22nd, 2006, 05:47 PM
No one will believe me when I tell them how old Chinook is because even if she's going grey... you can't tell!!! LOL

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 06:01 PM
Great pics of some beautiful dogs, everyone. :love:

They are all aging very gracefully. :king: :dog: :queen: :dog:

Furbaby Momma
August 23rd, 2006, 07:28 AM
LibbyP, Slam_58 and Frenchy your sweet older furkids, made my heart skip a beat because I too have a wonderful old girl that is aging with grace...she has mass cell cancer and has good days and bad days. I have two other young Goldens and a Chocolate Lab that learn so much from her, when we go for our walks in the field of my 150 acres of doggie heaven property, I bring a kong and throw it for the young ones so that they get more excercise while my sweet old girl and I just walk at a leisurely pace. I too wish she could live forever, and I am not sure what I will do when the day comes....but for now I am enjoying every single moment and feel so blessed that she is in my life. :cloud9:

LibbyP
August 23rd, 2006, 10:07 AM
Beautiful girl, Furbaby Momma is that a pink bow on her? Glad to hear she still has some good days, I am very sorry to hear she is not well, I have no knowledge of any types of cancer with my pets, you are truly a :angel: for caring for her.

Slams_58
August 23rd, 2006, 10:10 AM
What a beautiful girl!

LibbyP
August 23rd, 2006, 10:17 AM
Slams 58, The difference is that your girl is already a beautiful snow white colour to begin with and of course looking at a flat pic we cannot tell, but I know that you can tell just looking into her eyes, you know she doesn't have that spring in her step anymore and thats all that matters:grouphug: for all us older pet owners

Slams_58
August 23rd, 2006, 10:55 AM
you're right. In everyone else's eyes... she looks great and young. But if you look at pics of her when she was young... you could see a whole different look in her eyes. She still gets it every once in a while... but it's pretty few and far between now. She's a great dog... but I think I can never own another Sam because of her. I think I would always expect the new Sam to be just like her and I don't think that would be fair to the dog. Most people wouldn't be able to stand the hair in their house...but it's part of being a Sammy owner.. you learn to just pick the hair out of your food and keep eating! LOL Now that she's aging... it's made me want to go back to school and become an Animal Health Tech so I can help her more at home... and I love animals way more than humans and would love to work with them every day!

Furbaby Momma
August 23rd, 2006, 05:46 PM
Thank You, LibbyP and Slam_58, your furkids are equally beautiful also, and Frenchy's Daisy also.
I fully understand the hair eating...LOL, it is almost a sidedish at supper :D With having four Retrievers that are all indoor dogs and two cats, you could say things can get pretty hairy around here. hahaha!
I will always have a Retriever in my life, cherishing all the memories of each and everyone of them and grateful that each of them have been or are in my life. Slam_58 that is great that you went back to school to be a Vet Tech, and yes LibbyP that is a pink bow that Jamie has on she posed for her B-Day picture last Wednesday Aug. 16th she turned 10. :love:

Frenchy
August 23rd, 2006, 07:53 PM
Furbaby momma,I know what you mean,I'm own by 3 goldens,usually 4 because I'M always fostering but taking a break now for Daisy.It's so great to see all your "oldies" (mine and furbaby momma's are goldies!) Aren't they precious? Daisy spends her evenings out now,it's kind of cold for August so she likes it,I keep going out on the patio to hug her! What am I going to do when she leaves me .... if anybody else wants to share,it would be great to see pictures of all the senior dogs.