Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

staph infection

patunia1978
February 2nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
My female cocker spaniel has a staph infection that continues to come back after treatments with antibiotics. Now I think she may be pregnant. What risk factors are there for her and/or her puppies?

mona_b
February 2nd, 2004, 02:06 PM
Bacterial Allergy
Staphylococcus (Staph) is a bacterium found on normal dog skin. If the skin is normal and the dog's immune system is normal, Staph causes no problems to its host. However, some dogs develop an allergy to this bacterium. When this happens, the dog develops areas of hair loss that look much like ringworm. They are often round and to 2 inches in diameter. These same lesions develop in true Staph infection; they are easily treated with certain antibiotics, but the Staph-allergic dog has recurrent "Staph infections." The lesions will usually clear with appropriate antibiotics but return as soon as antibiotics are discontinued. After a while, some dogs become resistant to antibiotic treatment.
Treatment of Staph allergy involves antibiotics to control the immediate problem and desensitization with Staph antigen for long-term relief

I just had to post that so you know that dogs do become resistant to the atibiotics......

You think your dog is pregnant?I take it you let her get out while she was in heat?Call your vet and make an appointment to get her checked.

Can I ask why you haven't gotten her fixed?