Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Boarding For Lab - Any good recommendations?

julesuoft
August 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has any good recommendations for places to board dogs. I normally board Chloe (20 mos. Lab) at the breeders in Orangeville but I called too last minute and she's fully booked.

I live in Toronto (east end) and I'm heading up to Ottawa. Preferrably, I'd like something along the way to Ottawa. I'm looking to board Chloe from Thursday (2pm) to Sunday (evening).

I've checked out Petcetera in Ajax this weekend. Although the facilities were clean, it was a small room and the store reps said that there aren't usually that many dogs that stay over on the weekend. I saw only one dog there today and it was really lonely in the room with no toys to play with. Not a good first impression.

Ideally, I'd like to leave Chloe somewhere she will get lots of play time with other dogs, fed her food and is kept in a clean area. Any one have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

SnowDancer
August 21st, 2006, 12:39 PM
Have you asked your vet or if your dog has a groomer if they could recommend someone? This is how I met the lovely young lady who home boards our Eskie. She is based in Toronto though so wouldn't be on the route to Ottawa. Boarding at vet's is always last resort because most don't take dogs on walks - but if in doubt, at least your pup would be safe at the vet's and probably get lots of attention from the staff. There are a lot of bad news kennels out there. My dog does not do well in a crate, so home boarding for him is essential - but you do pay $$ for it.

julesuoft
August 22nd, 2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks SnowDancer! I did some more searching around and found some great camps for dogs around the Oshawa (north of Oshawa) area.

Chloe is crate trained and she has no problem in kennels. I'm fortunate with that. I'm just glad she'll only be boarded for 3 night so I think she should be ok.

It's amazing how much dogs become integrated into your family. My husband and I are newly married (2 years) and got Chloe about 6 months after getting married. She has become so much like our baby - we both come home thinking about her, wondering how her day was. Boarding her is hard because we just want the best care possible for her.

jiorji
August 22nd, 2006, 10:26 PM
boarding for a lab at Prin's house :D

i hope she doesn't see this thread :o

why can't you take the doggie with you on your trip?

SnowDancer
August 23rd, 2006, 11:50 AM
Glad that you found a place. It is very good to have a Plan B. My Plan B is my vet. Eskies are funny - they do not do well in regular "kennel" facilities - or in rescues for that matter. And my guy does have serious issues with crates. I always tell people to look for a place and try it out from time to time just in case there is an emergency and you absolutely have to board your pet. This from someone who for 25 years did not board pets - well I had SA from my mini Dachshunds and they were special cases having had worst case back/neck surgery and they did so love to play. But when we got our Eskie we knew things had to change. And, I did have an emergency so it was just as well. My husband is from Ottawa - goes to visit at Christmas - I get him a train ticket - would send Eskie with him but can't go on the train - and even if I would put him in the baggage compartment - which I won't - the Toronto to Ottawa route does not have a baggage car - so much for taking bicycles. Wish they would have a "doggie" car - also a special bus or train compartment to Guelph's small animal clinic. Wouldn't help much with the midnight emergency surgeries, but would be great for follow-up exams. Have fun in Ottawa - I haven't been since 1987.

Bearsmom
August 23rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Try Dogs at Camp

I think it's dogsatcamp.ca

julesuoft
September 3rd, 2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks for everyone's response!

Jlorji - I couldn't take Chloe because my sister-in-law just put down sod the day before I was to arrive and I would have felt really guilty if Chloe ruined the sod. I usually do - just not this time.

Bearsmom - I actually tried dogsatcamp.ca but unfortunately they were booked up that weekend. I did hear a lot of great reviews.

Update: I got Chloe back in one piece - she had fun but I don't think I would take her back there. I think the people forgot to give her one of her feedings during one of the days as they returned an extra bag of food I'd packed. Also, her collar was "broken" during her stay :confused: Lastly, she got a lot of mosquito bites.

Anyhow, Chloe is fine now - definitely glad to be back home. Next time, I'm definitely going to call our breeders well in advance for boarding as I KNOW Chloe enjoys it there very much.