Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

HELP for my Shiba Inu

llobel
August 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I am looking for anyone that knows anything about possible nerve damage in the tails of dogs. After months of Vet visits, Blood work, x-rays, shaving the dogs tail, medication for a possible anxiety disorder and every other possible thing my vet can think of, they are now telling me that the cause of my dogs symptoms could be nerve damage.

I have a two year old Shiba Inu that acts like he sees dead people, chases after his rear side (cant tall if he is going for his butt or his tail) but it is horrible to see because it is incredibly frustrating that no doctor has been able to find anything physically wrong with him.

All the research I have done on the web has pointed to an anxiety disorder, but just today when we took him to the vet for the 10th time in two months, they decided to shave his tail because pressure appeared to give him pain.

Bottom line, no one still knows for sure and I feel like my vets are really just taking stabs in the dark. They have suggested that amputating his tail may be necessary, but since they can not tell me for sure what is wrong, this is obviously not an option at this point.

Can anyone lend some advice?

Thanks.

OntarioGreys
August 21st, 2006, 08:49 PM
Before even considering amputation

I would have a chiropractor examine the dog to see if the bones in the tail are aligned if not they maybe able to manipulate to take pressure off a nerve and let them check the rest of the lower spine for alignment problems

http://www.avcadoctors.com/search_for_avca_certified_doctor.htm

joeysmama
August 21st, 2006, 10:00 PM
When Joey was sick we had an equine chiropractor come to the house (he obviously, also treated dogs) and he was able to give him some relief. Ultimately neither he nor any other doctor on the team was able to save Joey but the chiropractor did give hime relief and you could see that he felt better. Worth every penny !! I wouldn't hesitate to call one.