Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dried beef tripe as treat?

gomez
August 20th, 2006, 07:07 AM
Gomez's sitter just gave us a bag of dried beef tripe that she uses as treats for her dogs - the pieces kind of look like rawhide or beef jerky...

Does anyone give these to their dogs? Do they get stuck when swallowed? Side effects?

Thanks....

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Well, wet tripe is ok... :o Are they really hard? Do they shatter when they break? I've never seen dried tripe before, sorry.

gomez
August 20th, 2006, 03:06 PM
yes, they are really hard, I could not break a piece off - it feels like rawhide and they are very dark brown...

I have not seen him eat/chew on one, so I don't know if they go soft or just break off

here, have a look: http://www.gandkenterprises.co.uk/dog_treats.HTM
(click on "dried tripe")

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Oh.. they're like the bully sticks sort of. Those should be ok. Just supervise him a lot the first time.

OntarioGreys
August 21st, 2006, 09:57 AM
Oh.. they're like the bully sticks sort of. Those should be ok. Just supervise him a lot the first time.

THey have bully sticks(Bulls pizzle) indicated as a different treat,

this is probably a dehydrated part of the intestine

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
lol I saw that... I meant the shape... They're the same shape as the bully sticks. I've never had a problem with my doggies biting off big chunks of bully stick...

gomez
August 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM
Right, we'll have to give it a go then - apparently he has them all the time at his sitter's house with no ill effects that I have noticed...

You don't have the bull's pizzles over there?

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 05:24 PM
Yeah we do. :)
I've never seen tripe sticks though.