Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Caught neat pics the other night: (warning!: includes spider pic)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 05:55 AM
We were at my b/f's sisters house and we noticed there were tree frogs all over the porch, so we started taking pics.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Then I looked around a little more and these were also all over the porch. :eek:
Probably some of the biggest Orb Weavers I've ever seen.
I don't mind spiders but my b/f was a bit freaked out, lol.
Btw, pic is close to actual size, some of them were a bit bigger :evil: .

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 06:05 AM
One of the other frog pics.

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 20th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Wow, we don't have tree frogs here in WV, or atleast I haven't seen them, the only frogs that we have are the little greenish/brown ones. The spider picture though... made me shiver.:eek:

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the spider warning.. I had to come in anyway to see the froggies.:cloud9:

Cinnabear
August 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I'm so glad that I live here in northern Alberta. I could handle seeing 1 or 2, but too see a few well :yuck:.

Do tree frogs make lots of sounds?

chico2
August 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Aww,I love froggies,but we don't have any:sad:
The spider is ok,I don't ever bother them,they have a useful purpose and if you watch them,they're pretty amazing;)

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Wow, we don't have tree frogs here in WV, or atleast I haven't seen them, the only frogs that we have are the little greenish/brown ones.

West Virginia most definately has tree frogs. I used to live in Ohio, and we had tree frogs, but I only saw one my whole 18 years living there, and it's probably similar where you live. You just haven't seen any or looked for them :) .
I live in S.E Missouri and it's VERY hot and humid here all the time in the summer (lots of swamp), so you see stuff like tree frogs which like heat and humidity more often. Plus I live in the middle of a national forest.

Do tree frogs make lots of sounds?

They make really loud peeping sounds, but so do a lot of bugs like cicadas and katydids, so it's hard to tell which is which.
They both come out at night, and since there's lots of trees here it gets really loud.

The spider is ok,I don't ever bother them,they have a useful purpose and if you watch them,they're pretty amazing

I love spiders, my dad always taught me not to bother them 'cause they eat bugs. I especially don't bother the ones here 'cause I'm hoping they'll eat all the annoying flying bugs on my porch, lol.
I will admit though that I've smashed a couple of black widows (only in my house), they freak me out. I was looking at one and she crawled toward me and went into an agressive stance, which kind of scared me, lol.
I would have captured them and put them outside, but if they're protecting eggs and they're cornered, that's when they bite, so I was too scared to try it.