Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What have you learned here?

erykah1310
August 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I was just wondering... what have you all learned here at Pets.ca?
I wasnt ever so strong against not spaying and neutering your pets. I kinda thought along the lines of.... " its your choice, do as you wish" However NOW... I encourage EVERYONE to do so.

Also I have learnt alot about cats. I have always had them and never really objected to others who chose to declaw. NOW... I will say my piece. ( I never saw a need for it and would have never done it)

Some things that Pets.ca hasnt changed my opinion on;

- Docking tails.... I am still STRONGLY against it and find it cruel.
- Dewclaw removal... same as above.

with out commenting on anyone elses list. Please post what you have learnt.
Lets keep it civil!!!!!

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I was always VERY pro spay/neuter.. I've never had a dog who didn't go under the knife as soon as was possible.

I've learned a lot about kitty behavior (not a cat person) and about crating (I still won't do it unless I have to, but I'm not completely against it anymore).

I learned about specific things, like "cold tail" and pumpkin (not pie filling!).

I'm also learning a tiny bit about reptiles and things (mostly thanks to Dragon Queen).

I've learned more and more about food (1000 heads are better than one).

So many little things that I now take for granted as "common knowledge".:D

jawert1
August 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
I too was very pro spay/neuter prior to visiting here, but I've learned a lot of food and training tips that have made my dogs look fabulous (and healthier). I've also learned that I'm not alone in this world, which came the night I posted that I ran Simon to the emergency vets because he was pee'ing too much and too often. For the first time, I didn't feel like an over-reacting dog mom :) I think too these boards help those of us who do take simple things that we know for granted, since we're all given an opportunity to educate each other :)

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 19th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I learned you shoud research a breed before adopting and to look at rescues too

I learned the Science Diet and Iams isnt the best food

I learned that doodles can be found at rescues and there is a good chance they will shed

I learned why I shouldnt buy a dog or cat at a pet store

I learned that its not easy to always be a good pet owner, and our fur babies arent always perfect but we love them anyways.

I always strongly believed in spaying and neuturing- but coming here just reinforced it for me more.

Skryker
August 19th, 2006, 05:59 PM
It's so hard to say, because I lurk and learn everyday here!

I was always pro-spay/neuter and am now even more so because of all the tireless rescuers here.

I was always against declawing cats but didn't realize exactly what was done to the poor cat in the process. So I'm even more so now.

I learned tons about food, and continue to do so. (So now I urge others to change to a better quality food whenever I get the chance! :thumbs up )

I had no idea dogs and cats could be so allergy prone.

I didn't know that vaccinations are good for longer than a year and that by-laws are slowing changing to reflect this fact.

Most importantly, I learned that there ARE some on-line forums where newbies aren't sneered at and treated like the lowest of the low! ;) Thanks, guys!

technodoll
August 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
wow you guys, i don't even have to write anything cuz it would be repeating most of the below! :thumbs up but one thing i have learned that may be a bit different, is that there are still a LOT of folks out there who are against the idea of raw feeding their pets, and they don't even want to hear anything about it (closed minds). others might give it a go someday, not yet convinced, but at least the minds are open (that's a good thing). in my naive world, if something is so good for a dog or cat, everybody should do it, right? wrong! that's what i've learned :) oh and that there are sooooo many cool people on this forum, i always leave smiling and in a great mood, it's become a social circle of sorts and that even if we sometimes agree to disagree on some issues, we all agree that we are here because we love our pets fiercely and only want the best for them! :dog:

chico2
August 19th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Well,I am the"oldie"in the group,have had both cats,dogs,birds etc in my lifetime and thought I knew a lot:confused:
I was always pro spay/neuter...but I did not know as much about foods like I do now,like probably most people,I believed if it's advertized on TV,it has to be good..wrong!
Declawing,I would never have considered,even without knowing completely what it entailed.
I also was not aware of BYB's and all the cruelty in puppy-mills etc..nor how many cruel,unfeeling humans there are out there.
I've learned that I am not the only person in the world totally crazy about animals:love:
Also I did not know,that there are wonderful people who rescue needy cats and dogs,spend money they might ill afford,to help a sick animal,give them shelter in times of need and knowing these great people,even if only through the internet is an honor.:cat: :dog:

marko
August 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
That makes us VERY happy to hear that people are learning lots on this forum.
The original and current intent of this board has always been education.

Thanks so much to everyone that shares their knowledge so freely.:thumbs up

AS one of the ADMINS I'm often doing ADMIN stuff and dealing with issues and it's a real treat to read threads like this one!

Thanks everyone,

Sincerely,

Marko
ADMIN

mafiaprincess
August 19th, 2006, 10:10 PM
I was on another forum before this one, so when I came here I'd already been more informed on some topics.. I was always pro spuetering though. I was brought up being told it was what you did if you were responsible..

The thing pets.ca has taught me I hadn't learned elsewhere was about declawing cats. It's never talked about much on any other forum... but through people's knowledge and links, I got enlightened on it, and try to help others do the same even when I've gotten flamed for it..

pamha
August 20th, 2006, 01:32 AM
I was already prospay/neuter & against declawing cats, but like others, didn`t know how horrible it really is. I`ve learned tons about pet food here & a lot about dog & cat behavior that I`d never encountered. I`d never clipped a dog`s nails before & found good advice how on to start (slowly & persistantly I`m getting Maggie`s nails down to where they should be). I don`t often find anything to comment on- which is why its taken me over a year to get to senior member status- but I do read a lot and have learned more than I can say, hopefully most of it I`ll never have to deal with, but it is usually interesting!

Thanks for being here!

I ought to add, before coming here, my only exposure to pitties were mean, aggressive dogs, dangerous to people & animals alike. While I`m not sure I`d ever want to own one, I would no longer immediately try to warn people off of getting one & wouldn`t be adverse to meeting a friendly one.

Maya
August 20th, 2006, 01:54 PM
I was already pro s/n against declawing but didn't know just how horrible the declawing was. I learned more reason's to help me defend why breeding shouldn't be taken lightly. I find the questions and problems that come up really push me to research and think about issues I might not have thought of on my own. Also I learned how important a few kind words can be when you are going through a difficult time with your furbaby:cat:

Puppyluv
August 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I too was pro s/n (due to my parents at first and then my own beliefs) and anti declawing, but as many have said, didn't quite understand what happened in the process. I already knew about puppy mills, but I've learned a lot more about BYB's (first time I read that term, I thought the person meant BYOB;))
There were byb's that I would have recognized as such before, but there were many that I wouldnt... the ones that appear to be an ethical breeder, but are indeed not upon closer inspection.
I've learned a lot about food, especially raw. I deffinately wouldn't be feeding raw, or even wellness, if I hadn't come to this board. I would probably still be feeding Nutro, or on my vet's suggestion, Medical.
I've learned A LOT about pit bulls, and "pit bulls" (the dogs that are not, but losers insist on calling them that anyways), and am now an INFORMED opponent to BSL, rather than just a "yeah that's stupid" opponent.
I've learned a lot about kitties (and I use that not as a baby cat term, but as an any age term), and every day, I want one more and more.

Most importantly, I've learned about the power of group support!!!!:grouphug:

Frenchy
August 20th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I second that puppyluv;group support!

cpietra16
August 20th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I've learned that Prin knows alot about food:D I seem to learn something new everyday. I retain the info that helps me and my furries, and forget the rest, although I still respect what people have to say ...Oh, I also got some good info on holistic vets and medication.
But I like the fact that I met new people from across the world...and its nice to know that I'm not the only one out there that loves animals and respects them:D...ha....and my mom thought I was the only one:D

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Well, like everyone else, I've always been pro spay/neuter. :thumbs up

And, if I can quote Puppyluv, I was the same about BYB's: :o
I already knew about puppy mills, but I've learned a lot more about BYB's (first time I read that term, I thought the person meant BYOB)
There were byb's that I would have recognized as such before, but there were many that I wouldnt... the ones that appear to be an ethical breeder, but are indeed not upon closer inspection.

I knew a bit about food but now know alot more. I started the thread about menadione and, without the help I got, I probably would still be confused as I don't believe everything I read on the internet. ;)

I've learned that the rescue people here are amazing. :angel:

I learned that if you ever have a problem there are so many wonderful people here to offer their knowledge and support. :grouphug:

Melei'sMom
August 21st, 2006, 04:05 AM
I've learned about rawfeeding and why it is so great...Thanks Techndoll from me and Melei!

I've learned about the declawing horror, never really gave it a thought before because I thought cats should keep their defence, but now I know just how cruel it is.

I've learned all sorts of little tidbits that I can't think of right now because the are now 'common place' in my thinking.

I've learned that it is ok to love my animals so much, and I am not the only 'weird' one about my pets

I've learned that I have so much more to learn!

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 11:49 AM
I've learned that Prin knows alot about food:DI've learned not to say too much or people will start depending on you for answers. :D
(But I learned it a little too late :shrug: )

jessi76
August 21st, 2006, 12:12 PM
I've learned mostly about making good food choices for my pets (Thanks Prin, and others, for all the fabulous info - Nala, Lulu, & Tucker thank you too!).

Along the same lines, I've learned which treats are best, which to avoid, and the risks associated with them.

I've learned about serious canine/feline ailments and what symptoms to look for, and what tests to request, should one of my own ever be afflicted.

I've learned there are many people in the world just as nuts about their own (and other ppl's) pets as me.

I've learned some invaluable training tips/techniques.

I've learned about many different breeds & characteristics.

This is truley a wonderful group, with outstanding information, resources, and personal experiences. I learn something new just about every time I visit this forum.

phoenix
August 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
I thank everyone who recommended the newtrix halter for Sam. That's probably the best purchase ever and I heard about it here. I think it was Prin.

I've learned more about food than I knew when I came thanks to Prin, OntarioGreys, Rainbow and and Technodoll.

I've learned a TON from tenderfoot and Lissa about training.

I'm still learning to walk away and stop typing in certain situations :frustrated: hehe

I've learned a fair bit about BSL.

I have learned about rescue from boxerrescue, lucky (where is she?) rescue, inverness... and have been very touched by the story of the homeless 5 even though I'm not a cat fan. I would like to work with rescues or at least adopt in the future. Now I am a habitual petfinder scanner though... very bad habit.

:thumbs up