Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Breeders

chico2
August 19th, 2006, 04:00 PM
What's up with all the people breeding lately,it's really frustrating to read about:frustrated:
Don't people know about probably a million+ dogs/cats needing a warm place to call home in Canada:confused:

erykah1310
August 19th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I hear you!! And there are just as many people who are supporting them in the first place??!!?!?!:frustrated:
It frustrates the most of us thats for sure.

What really gets me going is when they seem SO proud that they have contributed to the homless pet population!!

" I have a litter of 6" " a brand new litter of 4" "expecting her pups anyday now" and so on!!!:frustrated: :frustrated: :frustrated:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM
oh ya I hear ya! - and the dog down the street is cute - the world couldnt possibly live with out some more cute puppies -, besides, the dogs are in love right :confused: so they have are having puppies - by the way does anyone know anything about pregnancy in dogs. My uncle Neds 2 year old daugther wants a pup - not to sure what to do with the other nine - oh well I guess we will think of something. :frustrated:

....thats the vibe I am getting too :(

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Thank goodness Jemma's spayed. I wouldn't want her to accidentally become a part of that epidemic.

erykah1310
August 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Ditto prin, ( change Jemma to Puppy Kita and Meik however)

technodoll
August 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM
it's like a :troll: epidemic lately. don't new people read the forum rules & guidelines before posting? :confused:

jawert1
August 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Honestly technodoll, I don't think they do, and there's nothing I would love to see more here than a setting that forces EVERYONE when they register to have to read the forum rules and guidelines. I've noticed it too that there's more than a *normal* (whatever normal is :/) amount of posts of ppl that just don't seem to realize that:
a) in spite of our desire to plug human emotions to animals, dogs cannot fall in love (Disney be darned for a number of animal reasons)
b) a pregnancy in any species is a harrowing experience, in animals worse since they can't verbally say "Hey, there's seriously something wrong with me" if complications occur
c) breeding your dog when you don't have the fundage to pay for normal care costs is just plain stupidity

I know it sounds juvenile, but each time I pass the one local SPCA, I pray to see on their sign that they're all out of dogs and cats because they've all found homes and everyone has been educated to spay and neuter. I can dream can't i? :sad:

Maya
August 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
When you try to educate them they seem deaf to the fact that there are so many unwanted cats and dogs, not to mention all the other reason's why it's not a good idea. It's like if they are going to be thinking about breeding in the first place it's already a lost cause:frustrated: Is there any point trying to reason with people if they show their ignorance? I always have this hope that they will turn around and say maybe you are right, perhaps I should think twice about doing this but I haven't seen it yet.

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 19th, 2006, 07:18 PM
posted by:
Honestly technodoll, I don't think they do, and there's nothing I would love to see more here than a setting that forces EVERYONE when they register to have to read the forum rules and guidelines. I've noticed it too that there's more than a *normal* (whatever normal is :/) amount of posts of ppl that just don't seem to realize that:

how about a test - you have to read the forum rules and guidelines then take a test before you can register. You would need like 90% to pass before you can become a pets.ca member. :)

technodoll
August 19th, 2006, 07:21 PM
make it 95%!! :thumbs up

but still, it's a mentality that seems to be springing up more and more lately, despite the ongoing education process, despite the public pleas for help, despite the horror stories in the media... i don't get it, i really don't. :shrug:

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 09:20 PM
When you try to educate them they seem deaf to the fact that there are so many unwanted cats and dogs, not to mention all the other reason's why it's not a good idea. They're all the exception to the byb rule.:rolleyes: :shrug: :yell:

Writing4Fun
August 19th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I always have this hope that they will turn around and say maybe you are right, perhaps I should think twice about doing this but I haven't seen it yet.
Believe it or not, I've actually seen that here. :highfive: It's in the HUGE minority, of course. Most people believe it's their God-given right to breed a pair of animals just because they're physically capable of 'gettin it on'. But once or twice, the members of this forum have managed to convert someone who was thinking of breeding. I swear, I just about start doing my Lotto 6/49 happy dance every time I see it. Doesn't happen nearly often enough, though. :sad:

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I still love Bethaliz for that. It's probably not us that did it, but she's become way more informed since she started here.:highfive:

Maya
August 19th, 2006, 11:43 PM
Well that's nice to hear there have been a few success stories:cat:

pamha
August 20th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I think this is close enough to the topic & wanted to share. Our new neighbors just got a 6 month old male Pom, from a "private breeder" :rolleyes: I don`t know them well yet myself, but my daughter has quickly become fast friends with their daughter, who was going on about wanting to get him together with a female so they could give away the puppies :mad: My daughter spoke up, "well first you have to have him neutered" (We have a lot of talks on the subject since she is very into animals & knows something about petstore puppymills & rescues). I spoke up (rare for me!) and added that we are very pro-spay/neuter for our animals. The dad volunteered that they are planning to have him neutered right away. :thumbs up YAY! I was so happy to hear that, especially since our daughters are becoming such good friends I would hate to have to get on their case about it. I do plan to feed her bits of information to share about how neutering will make him a better pet, in case they don`t get around to it right away, she will keep at them.

Can you imagine, they said this poor puppy has never been outside. They will be starting from scratch with housebreaking & everything. I have no idea exactly where they got him from, but I`d like to find out & see what is going on there.

Furbaby Momma
August 20th, 2006, 08:16 AM
I have been a member for a short while, and read posts everyday...getting more and more educated, so many times I want to reply but I don't because my frustration would come out in my replies to the ignorance of individuals that "just don't get it". I don't understand how people think breeding their animals is a good thing, I know there are wonderful reputable breeders in the world, but I feel if all the reputable breeders made absolutely sure that all their puppies were to be s/n by 6 months, and only the puppies who are being groomed to be show dogs had two litters of pups at 2 yrs. and 4 yrs. old, then were s/n. I would think that their would be some chance of a non overpopulated unwanted animal situation. In my lifetime I have always been the oddball trying to be a voice for the animals by letting humans know how important it is to s/n and that there are so many unwanted animals that need homes all over the world. I know that I will never see a perfect harmony where every animal has a great forever home, and when I die there will be someone else in the world like me trying to make a difference, and there will still be ignorant people back yard breeding. I would wish that byb would go and volunteer for a shelter and see how many beautiful unwanted animals there are due to some ignorant person thinking "oh everyone loves my animal and my friend has one so lets mate them just because...." Then the puppies arrive...there might be complications...don't have any money to get the mother and babies proper vet care...can't find homes for all the puppies...so they are brought to the SPCA because in the byb fantasy mind the SPCA will find homes for all the puppies, we know better. Rescues are pushed to the limit of unwanted animals, raising money for vet care, food...all the provisions that an animal needs..they find wonderful forever homes for two animals today...yay!!! Only to receive three more unwanted byb-mistake bred animals tomorrow and they start all over again...vet care $$$$, food $$$ and all that is needed to provide for the unwanted animals $$$ because some ignorant person thought it would be ok to breed their animal.

I apologize for the long post, I love that you all feel the same as I do and that I am not an oddball in the world, and I thank you for educating the ill minded individuals with your experience and knowledge. I am very happy to be amongst great members, that feel the same way as I do. :love::thumbs up

technodoll
August 20th, 2006, 10:31 AM
furbaby momma... have tears in my eyes reading your post. it was awesome!! :o

Golden Girls
August 20th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I don't understand how people think breeding their animals is a good thing, I know there are wonderful reputable breeders in the world, but I feel if all the reputable breeders made absolutely sure that all their puppies were to be s/n by 6 monthExactly :thumbs up

Puppyluv
August 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM
The thing that always gets me, is when people say "I just want her to experience giving birth". Ok seriously. Are there any moms (or possibly future moms) out there who wanted to have their kids because they simply wanted to experience the birth process? I think not. It's about the child him/herself. Would you be willing to give birth to 6 kids only to have them ripped out of your arms 10 weeks later, and think to yourself "well phew, at least now I've enjoyed that wonderfull feeling of giving birth! Bye kiddies!" It's not like these dogs are experiencing birth and then the raisining of their pups, they're just getting the painful part of the deal, and then 1/2 the pups end up in rescues, pounds or on the street.

Golden Girls
August 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
or "I just want to preserve the breed" :rolleyes: more like giving themselves an excuse :yell:

White Wolf
August 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Please read the new announcement regarding this subject.
We appreciate your understanding.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=33

It isn't a warning. We just understand this subject is on members' minds and wanted to address it.
Thank you.

Angies Man
August 21st, 2006, 02:10 AM
I'm new to this board, and have noted the strong feelings here regarding the cross breeding of different breeds to try to create lines of designer dogs, the apparent negative feeling by some about pedigreed breeds, and the counseling of members to acquire shelter dogs instead of purpose bred, purebred (expensive) dogs.

I bought a purebred puppy from a small breeder a couple of weeks back. Got 3 generation pedigrees for both parents. I bought the "not show quality" supposedly small female--she has a herniate umbilicus, and an almost impossible to see set of white hairs on her chest just above, but between her front legs (otherwise she's an all black Std. Poodle.) She was just what I was looking for, smallish, calm, sweet natured. She had decent tho not incredible pedigree--but the pedigrees that are considered great are for lines of show dogs--and there wasn't a show dog in the pedigrees I read. So I got her very reasonably.

Three years ago, my last dog, another black Std. died in surgery attempting to same his life from bloat and volvulus. I had unfinished business with the breed. My last dog was purchased from a byb, and he had health issues from the start. He was supposed to be a long term dog, he was gone in just over 3 years--a nice boy, but never terribly healthy.

I looked at Petfinder, I looked at a lot of other shelter and rescue sites. Didn't see a Std in any of them that was within driving distance--and most wouldn't allow adoption out of state (I live 7 miles from the Nev./Cal state line!!!) Most of the dogs available locally weren't what I wanted--nice dogs, but I didn't want a GSD, a small -poo type dog, a border collie or aus shepard, a problem child, or a Rotty/Pit/Staffordshire/Chow, etc. that populate the local shelters.

So I bought another purebred puppy, this one from a small breeder (she has about 8 adult Stds., and a couple of other dogs, plus the remainders of the litter that Angie was part of.) No kennel, all the dogs lived in her small home mostly in crates. (More CO2, doggy smell, and humidity than I could stand for very long.:yuck: ) I got the feeling that when a prospective adopter came, she shooed the dogs into the crates, but otherwise, there were about a dozen dogs running around inside her house and out in her fenced yard.

Takes a lot of love, patience, and money. And it looks like a heck of a lot of work.

I figure having health tested dogs with pedigrees with known, but acceptable levels of inbreeding (about 1 common ancester in the past three generations) gets my breeder out of the BYB league. She isn't selecting for show qualities, she chose her breeding stock for acceptable health, smaller size, and good behavioral qualities. Not improving the breed, but apparently not damaging it either.

All this rambling is to come to the fact that, while I think I have a pretty nice puppy who COULD mother some great dogs (with careful selection of the right pappy!,) there won't be any litters of pups in my dog's future. I don't want the disruption in our lives and I don't want the responsibility of maintaining or improving the breed. I AM a responsible dog owner--I DON'T want to be a breeder, responsible or other. I don't want to get in the dog show treadmill. I don't want to think of my dog as any sort of profit making device.

As a business, it looks like it would be easier to run empty beverage cans over the state line for the nickel per can you get for returning them!

My sister, btw, also has a new Std. puppy, male. She asked if I wanted to breed my dog with her's. She wants to breed her male someday. We will have serious heart-to-heart about backyard breeders next time I see her. Looks like the fantasy of having a bunch of fat, sassy puppies is attractive, reality really bites, tho.:dog:

chico2
August 21st, 2006, 06:12 AM
Angies man,thank you for a very well written,caring post,Angie is a lucky girl:thumbs up

Furbaby Momma
August 21st, 2006, 08:09 AM
Thank You Angies Man for sharing your personal experience of how you learned about a byb/puppy mill, and saving Angie who is very lucky to have you. If you hear about someone wanting to breed their animal, please ask them to go to the local shelter or SPCA and tell them to be the volunteer that has to hold all the animals who are being euthanized everyday/week/month/year and volunteer for a rescue, I would hope that by doing this it will change their mind. People who have a voice for the animals are a minority, we are crazy and should mind our own business, stop preaching about spay and neutering animals but it is these people that call us the most because they want us to take their unplanned litters because they can't find homes for all of them. For every unplanned litter and byb $ profit litter only a few get to experience a wonderful home...the others are abandoned/abused/neglected...or used in labs as research specimens this is a sad reality. So I am glad to know that you will be a voice for the animals now, hold your head up high and be proud knowing you are making a difference.