Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

keeping Staffordshire Bull Terrier&Border Collie together

gaz131
August 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
we have just got a new member in our family a Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch & we have Border Collie bitch who is 8 years old .the collie has been with us from a pup and has been and still is the best dog i have ever had. She has been a very good mum to her own litter of pups we are hoping that she will bring on the pup. The new pup has settled in very well and has been playing with are older dog and kids, i was hoping that some one out there had been in this type of situation before, we have not had any problems with them and both are doing fine i have trained all my dog in the past from (showing to flyball & agility) but i have never had 2 bitchs together before. Our older dog has never been in any form of a fight and gets on with any dogs cats and people which makes me think that we will not have any problems but other may ???. Both bitchs have come from good breeds and breeders Any tips for the days to come ???.many thanks

erykah1310
August 20th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I dont really have any tips, but a Border Collie is a breed that can prove to be a handfull, but you must already know this by now.;)

I hope they are both spayed, if one isnt and is allowed to have pups, there could be some issues with protecting the pups.

Other than that I jsut wanted to congratulate you on your new member of the family!!!!

gaz131
August 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Thank you. But with our Border Collie she has never been any trouble and is spayed but the new pup is not, but will be when or if the time comes, but they will not be any litters from the pup until i hate to say this but the older bitch passers away if this makes the age of the pup too old for having a litter then she will be spayed as well.And thank you for the advice.

OntarioGreys
August 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
It is about personality and compatability whether they will get along, I imagine you know some people that you could never share a house with and get along the same goes with dogs. Hormonal changes in non spayed females is much the same with the human species and can cause moodiness"PMS", so if you have an unspayed female, and they are having a bad PMS day they may very well be a little short tempered.

gaz131
August 21st, 2006, 12:46 PM
thank you that makes a lot of sence thanks again. Gary.

Cygnet
September 8th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Congratulations on your new puppy. I love staffordshire bull terriers. Most responsible pit bull people (and staffordshire bull terriers are usually considered pit bulls) will tell you "never trust a pit bull not to fight." The best advice is to watch them carefully for signs of possible animosity and NEVER leave them alone together unsupervised.

Many pit bull owners have had the experience of leaving two dogs alone who had gotten along without a problem and coming home to at least one dead dog.

rainbow
September 8th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Congratulations on your new addition. I don't understand why you don't want to get the pittie spayed right away. :confused: