Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Goldendoodle

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Looking into getting a Goldendoodle anybody with advice or that has one or breeds them that can give me info!

rainbow
August 19th, 2006, 12:28 PM
If you want a goldendoodle go to a rescue place. They are just one of the many designer breeds out there.

They are really only mutts and anyone that breeds them is just a BYB wanting to make a buck breeding two dogs to come up with a cute name.

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Well the reason I am looking into them is because I HATE shedding and thats why I have two hairless cats, we had a great dane for years but after I had my kids I could'nt take her shedding anymore and had to find her another home, I am a clean freak and my kids and house are ALWAYS spotless. I just can't handle hair on the floor where my children crawl and play. Anyway one of my friends, friends (confusing) has one and its a 2b goldendoddle which is two goldendoddles bred together and the dog NEVER sheds, I have been there and played with it and I was amazed that almost zero hair came off this dog she showed me his bed and almost no hair, so I decided after reachering that this was the dog for us, so I am just wondering if anybody knows more about them. I don't do rescue becuase I have children and I like to know where the dog came from and what it upbringing was, and with a puppy I get to bring ot up so I know its temperment and everything. Anyway as you can prolly tell my children come above all else, so if anyone knows anything more about them please tell all :) Stuff like training, temperment, things like that!

Puppyluv
August 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Wanna know why a lot of oodles end up in the pound? because people buy them thinking that they won't shed, and some do! When you cross two breeds there are no guarantees about what you will get. If you want to ensure traits, get a purebred dog, like a poodle, an airedale, a bouvier, a bichon frise, a yorkie or a schnauzer (just to name a few). They all shed less hair than average.

LavenderRott
August 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM
There are several breeds available that do not shed much. Among them are poodles, bichons, yorkshire terriers. While yorkies may not be best for young children, poodles come in three different sizes and bichons are lovely little dogs though they do require some grooming.

The problem with the lovely doodle breeds is that nothing is done so far as testing and such before dogs are bred.

Both poodles and golden retrievers are prone to hip dysplasia, bad elbows, bad hearts, eye problems, thyroid problems and I think a blood condition. A responsible ethical breeder will test for all these things and have their dog certified fit. This will help to insure that the puppy that you get is as healthy as possible. The surgery to do hip repair for a dysplastic dog can cost up to $5000 per hip! Repairing elbows is about $2,000. Serious heart problems can often go undiagnosed until the dog dies - usually quite suddenly while out in the yard or while taking a walk. Temperment is equally important to an ethical breeder.

You get the point. As for going through a rescue group - all the animals they adopt out are fostered with regular families - just like yours. They know how the dog is going to react to children, dogs, cats and just about anything else that comes along. Groups are very careful that they know as much about the dog as they do about the family the dog is going to live with. After all, the goal is to place the dog with the family that it will spend the rest of it's life with!

My rottweiler was a rescue from my local shelter. I knew nothing at all about her past and I rescued her just weeks before I found out I was pregnant. She passed away just after my son's 7th birthday and they were best friends. She even let him sit on her to watch t.v. Please think about this before you completely discount a rescue dog.

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
I do not want a little wimpy dog I want a big dog that has less of a chance of shedding, not some tiny dog thats gonna pee all overmy house all its life because its bladder is the size of a nut... There are no large dogs other then mixes that have a low shedding possibilty and a pure breed standard poodle they are not good with kids they are snippy, so I would'nt try one!

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM
I realize what you are saying about rescue dogs, but i want a puppy and I want it to be the exact mix of two dogs, so a rescue is not for me, I just would never get a rescue dog for many reasons, the breeder I am using temperment tests all her pupps and does gentic testing its included in teh price and she gives you a copy of the parents genetic testing.

LavenderRott
August 19th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I realize what you are saying about rescue dogs, but i want a puppy and I want it to be the exact mix of two dogs, so a rescue is not for me, I just would never get a rescue dog for many reasons, the breeder I am using temperment tests all her pupps and does gentic testing its included in teh price and she gives you a copy of the parents genetic testing.

I can name a dozen people right of the top of my head who got that same guarentee when they bought their mutts. In a couple of cases, the dog actually died before the breeder returned the first phone call.

But, you know what is best.

technodoll
August 19th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I do not want a little wimpy dog I want a big dog that has less of a chance of shedding, not some tiny dog thats gonna pee all overmy house all its life because its bladder is the size of a nut... There are no large dogs other then mixes that have a low shedding possibilty and a pure breed standard poodle they are not good with kids they are snippy, so I would'nt try one!

wow are you really this ignorant about dogs, or just posing as a :troll: ??? small dogs do not pee in the house any more than big dogs would, their bladder is in proportion to their body size as well as their food and water intake. Yes there are large dogs out there that are non-shedding, like the Portuguese Water Dog, and hey even BIG dogs can be wimpy FYI. Not all poodles are snippy with people/ kids, of course if you buy from a Back Yard Breeder, you never know what you're going to get. Which is precisely what "oodle" breeders are... the whole lot of them.

wow, still shaking my head at all this nonsense! it's like a :troll: fest in here today!!

White Wolf
August 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Please contact a rescue or breeder in your area. We do not allow breeders to advertise on this site.

Thread closed.