Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

dog that shakes and pants at the same time

cheyenne7
February 1st, 2004, 04:52 PM
My seven year old Maltese will go into a corner and shake and pant at the same time. Sometimes she will just shake. I have taken her to two different Vets, neither of whom seem to have an answer. Her blood profile showed her liver function a bit high but "normal" for her age. Everything else in the normal range. She is slightly over weight from a course of cortisone given for a skin problem. She only eats Nurto Dog Food. No scraps or human food. I would appreciate some help. Thank you.

bohemian
February 1st, 2004, 06:04 PM
WHEN does your dog shake and pant? What is going on in the dog's environment? Who is around at that time? Please be very specific.

I guess what I'm getting at is...have you noticed a pattern?

Or is it completely random? Please think about this before replying.

There may be an environmental or a behavioural component to this behaviour....especially if 2 vets are stumped.

cheyenne7
February 3rd, 2004, 02:00 AM
This seems to be random. Nothing out of the ordinary seems to be going on. When it happens I pick her up and hold her. This had been going on for three or four months. One vet thought it was a pinched nerve. He put her on cortisone for a week and she gained weight. Now she no longer wants to jump up on the sofa like she used to. She will go up the three steps to the front door. She is active when we go for walks and loves to chase birds and helicopters. She sleeps on a pillow and wears a sweater when the weather is cold. We live in Southern California, coastal area. The coldest it has gotten is in the mid fifties.

She is the alpha dog. We rescued her two years ago and rescued her daughter ten months ago. She and her daughter were separated when the pup was four months.

Dee_petlover
February 3rd, 2004, 09:48 AM
If it is a behavioural issue picking her up and giving her attention might be encouraging this behaviour. If I were you I would definitely want to consult with a vet to make absolutely sure there was nothing wrong though because you wouldn't want to assume it is behavioural either and have the dog suffering.

What has your vet said? Are they still investigating possible causes?