Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog "quick" doesn't seem to receed?

dogmelissa
August 18th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Ok, I just talked to my bf, and he says that I only trim Cube's claws every 6 weeks, but I'm sure it's more often than that. Maybe 4-5 weeks. Regardless, the first couple times I did it, I hardly took anything off, and it was no time at all (maybe 2 weeks at most) before he was clicking on the floor again. Now I try to take a little more off to get closer to the quick so they'll be a little shorter, and when I try to take off a little more I always seem to end up making him bleed. I don't like to make him bleed! I don't have any of that quik-stop powder or sticks, but I think I'm going to get some because the flour or cornstarch is messy.
Cube has white claws, so it's easy for me to see the quick, but I always seem to make him bleed even if it looks like it's far enough away that it won't (I worked in the Humane Society for 3 years so I know how to trim claws).
If I file his claws (if I can get him to let me), will the vibration/mechanical stimulation help the quicks recede a little more? If I just snip off the tiniest little point every other week will that help? Or am I just destined to have a clicky-clawed dog? It seems like it's just his front feet that click, but when we walk, he does that macho-dog marking-territory kick-scratching thing (back feet only) so I think that he rubs his back claws down enough. But his front feet bleed just as much as his back ones when I trim them.

I've tried trimming them every other week like the "books" say to do, and had a bad experience (didn't bleed, but he cried like I'd cut off his toe and limped for 3 days), so I leave them now until I hear them click again. Should I be trimming them more often?

Any advice/thoughts/suggestions?
(I'm sorry if this post makes little sense, I've had a couple drinks, and no, this isn't the reason Cube's claws bleed when they're trimmed, I was just *looking* at them, not cutting them!)

Thanks in advance,
Melissa

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I'm fairly sure quicks don't recede.
Most books say if you trim your dogs nails enough from the time they're a puppy the quicks won't grow too long, but I've never seen any info about them actually receding.
Despite the above info, that's not always true, because Walnut has had long quicks since we got her at 6 weeks old. We can barely trim anything off even though we keep clip them every time they grow out a little bit. I guess some dogs just have long quicks. The groomer at the vet commented that she has long quicks too. Everyone we know is always commenting that we need to trim her nails shorter because they're too long and they scratch, I just say "stop telling her to jump on you" :rolleyes: .
She always goes click click on the floor too, but if you're going to accidentally make your dog bleed every time and hurt him by trimming them too short there's not much you can do about it.
I'm pretty sure the only thing you can do by filing the nails is to make them more blunt.

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 12:30 AM
You didn't hear my video? I have a video here somewhere where you hear my doggies' nails like crazy. Some dogs click and others don't, regardless of the nail length.

Here: http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-8303581448474866226

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 12:38 AM
Both my doggies click, and royces nails were just trimmed.
I like it 'cause I can tell where the heck they are without looking :) .

dogmelissa
August 19th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Urgh, don't you hate it when you type a message and don't wait for it to post?? *sigh* Here goes the re-type.

Quicks do recede. Some are more stubborn that others. Every vet I've ever talked to or worked with (remember, 3 yrs at the Humane Society) said that they would recede. Something about how trimming close to the nerve and blood vessel makes the quick pull back to avoid injury and pain. I'm not sure of the exact mechanism.

Here are some websites about it:
A forum discussing a surgical "quickectomy": http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/599109661/m/6891079082

And one from a veterinary website discussing it:
http://www.invma.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=97

I know that when my fingernails get a little long and I'm trying to type, it's uncomfortable and sometimes painful. I can't imagine that the "clicking" claws on the floor is much different than me with long fingernails trying to type, except that I can stop typing and a dog can't really stop walking.

I don't want my dog to have surgery, but if it's the only option, I guess it's the only option.

Melissa (waiting for it to post this time!)

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 12:53 AM
Are the nails long though? The quick can only recede so far...

As for the clicking, they can retract their nails if they're cut flush with the pad. Some dogs just don't. My doggies have very short nails all the time and still make noise. I cut them every 2 weeks for Boo and 4 weeks for Jemma.

Here's how I cut them- you protrude the nail, and then cut, flush with the pad. That way, you shouldn't hit the quick, and the nail just barely reaches the floor when the toe is as flexed as it can be.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 01:21 AM
I can't imagine that the "clicking" claws on the floor is much different than me with long fingernails trying to type, except that I can stop typing and a dog can't really stop walking.

:confused: I've seen very few dogs whose claws don't click on the floor at all, or whose claws look very short when clipped. Poodles come to mind.
Some breeds have longer claws than others, like labradors. I've known lots of people that have labs, and they all have claws that barely reach the bottom of their pawpad, even if clipped constantly and correctly, it's part of the reason they dig so well.
Other breeds I can think of are beagles and bassets; even if you keep their claws trimmed as short as you can they still come almost even with the bottom of the pawpad, they're also very good diggers for this reason.
I was under the impression that it's not painful for a dog to have claws that go 'click click' on the floor unless they're extremely long.
If your dog is just standing there and his claws are touching the floor that is a bit long, but most dogs claws click on the floor just because of the way they walk. Even if their nails aren't long they touch the floor when the dog walks because every time the dog takes a step his foot tilts foward.
Just like when you walk, your feet tilt foward until the pressure is on your toes and then you lift your foot. Some dogs walk differently, just like not all people walk exactly the same, which is why some dogs click less, or not as loudly as others.

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Some dogs are silent and walk only on their pads, but that doesn't necessarily mean their nails are shorter than those who click on the floor. It becomes painful if when the paw is completely relaxed, the nail touches the floor. If the nail is too long, there is pressure at the base of it. I think you just have to judge on the length of the nail and not the noise it makes.

btw, most puppies are silent because they just don't use their nails yet, but after about a year, they start to get noisier.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Some dogs are silent and walk only on their pads, but that doesn't necessarily mean their nails are shorter than those who click on the floor.

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say. All dogs walk a little different, just like people, so some click some don't.
Royce's nails are very well trimmed, they don't even come near touching the floor when he's standing there. We just had the groomer at the vet trim his nails and she didn't say anything about them being too long, yet they still click on the floor and always have.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 19th, 2006, 02:04 AM
Here you can see Walnut's nails, they were just trimmed a couple days ago and Royce's nails are even shorter. They still both go click click on the floor though, so I'm not sure how short you're wanting your dogs nails.

gaz131
August 19th, 2006, 08:29 AM
As a lot of others have said some do some dont but try walking your dog on more abrasive grounds which will help with the nail lenght but dont over do it as this may result in sore pads my dog is the same and i have had lots of feet problems with her when i have been racing my dog in flyball comp this was one of the tips i was given by team mates . As when i tryed to clip them they always blead .

mafiaprincess
August 19th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Cider has learned within the last few months that she can 'dig in her nails' anywhere she pleases. And uses this as much as she likes. She clicks when she never used to no mater how short her nails are.

I've heard from people that abrasive ground should help with nail wear. Personally, it's never made an ounce of difference. She runs with me while I rollerblade on paved path. And we play fech in a paved tennis court. And I still see awfully long nails that could almost use a weekly trimming lately. It's really no guarantee that it'll do more than file a dogs nails after a clip so they aren't as sharp.

vfrohloff
August 19th, 2006, 11:03 AM
The quicks will recede but it takes a little while. When I got my Greyhounds their nails were very long. I trimmed a little off every week and eventually their quicks receded. I also find that walking on pavement after the nails have been trimmed seems to help a bit.

Prin
August 19th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Ok, maybe we figured something out today. If the toes are really long, then it takes more nail to reach the ground, and with long toes, the toes can be flexed much farther than with cat-like feet. Like if you cut a nail on a long toe to be flush with the pad, it's longer than if you cut a nail on a cat-like foot flush with the pad. Does that make sense at all? Anyway, longer toes = longer quicks = longer nails = more noise. Maybe.:D

OntarioGreys
August 19th, 2006, 09:42 PM
I get my vet to cut the dogs back when they are under for another procedure like dentals, Maya is long but she still has not been under for anything since I have had her.

My dogs are quite noise skittish otherwise I would dremel,

If your dogs are okay with the sound of a dremel it is a good way to get the quicks to recede but you have to do them often

This site explains in detail how the dremel nails and has pictures
http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html