Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cats and pimples (on humans)

Stacer
August 18th, 2006, 08:03 PM
I was wondering if there is a correlation between cats who like to rub against your face and getting pimples. Finn is a very rubby kitty, if your face gets anywhere near hers she will rub all over you, and I have noticed an increase in pimples and it just occured to me that this might be what is could be from.
I know cats like to rub things to spread their pheremones from glands on their cheeks, but do they have an oil that would react with human skin? It would really suck if this were the case, cause Finn isn't a snuggly cat, but she will rub you like crazy if you get down on her level, so it's one of the only ways we get affectionate contact from her. Any ideas?

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 12:15 AM
I think it's more likely their saliva that is doing it.. They have either the dirtiest or second dirtiest mouths of any mammal (the other one is camel). I think it has to do with a lack of saliva flow- which is also why dogs have cleaner mouths than us. The more saliva produced, the more the mouth is flushed and the cleaner it is. :shrug:

jiorji
August 23rd, 2006, 02:20 AM
stacer i think it is 100% possible.
I don't have a pimply face but i don't have the perfect skin either and i notice that if i'm away from cat contact my skin is better. However I don't care to not bond with my cat just for that and i just do extra facial cleaning to make up for it.

so you might want to try that if you're experiencing problems

Jackie467
August 23rd, 2006, 01:33 PM
I think that is totally possible. I get a lot of pimples if I handle Jasmine and then don't wash my hands. And I can't let her anywhere near my face. However I'm allergic to kitties (but there is no way in heck I would ever get rid of Jazzy so I just deal with washing constantly) but I don't just break out in pimples I get hives, watery eyes, and get very congested. I love kitties but because of this Jasmine will have to be my last kitty. I always feel bad because I can't let her on my bed or pet her when I can't change because I'll start having a reaction. Anyways sorry i got a little :offtopic: in short yes I think that is very possible even if your not allergic.

Stacer
August 23rd, 2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks, perhaps I will limit my face to face contact with Finn, and wash up more frequently. Maybe wash my hands more often (against my answer to the "do you wash your hands" poll) I will give in and wash even if I'm not preparing food or cleaning the litterbox:D