Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I AM so bad!

Angies Man
August 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I have to admit (if y'all haven't guessed) that I'm pretty excited about my Poodle pup. Can't help but talk about her--I know it's boring. . .

So I'm in the local incarnation of Kroger (Smiths Fd & Drg) in the dog aisle buying some cheap biscuits for my puppy. There's this lady, fairly intelligent looking and about 70 something, buying Beneful for her obese Jack Russell. I gave her the lecture about how dogs don't do well on corn & soy meal and a lot of added sugar and fat, how it made for nice big firm stools but that was because the stuff is mostly filler and not easily digestible by her little dog.

"So where do you get the food for your puppy?" I get it from an animal feed store that sells Inova and other more holistic brands--and proceeded to tell her that the first ingredient on the label SHOULDN'T be corn meal, neither should the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. Nor any. First ingredient on Beneful is corn meal! Then I showed her the label on Iams. 2nd ingredient is corn meal. I told her that the more holistic brands were more expensive--by quite a bit--per pound, but that her dog would need to eat less, and that it would help with his obesity, skin and coat problems, and his health in general. Probly save her money in the long run.

Then we got to talking about treats--"he just loves cheese!" Not good, I said, too high in fat--substitute a teaspoon of nonfat yogurt instead. In fact, cut down on the fat and sugars in general--the same things that make your terrier fat are the things that make people fat.

She put the Beneful back--she's on her way to the "botique" pet supply place, for suggestions and samples. I saw her buying a quart of nonfat plain yogurt later.

Felt kinda good--a little subversive. Sounds like he's got her thinking he's a picky eater. Hope he likes his new healthier diet. :dog:

Told her to go looking on the Internet--hope she ends up here. I have to start remembering the URL.

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
lol it's not hard- pets.ca. :D

Good job though. Poor doggy eating beneful. :( Hopefully, he'll get something better. Pretty amazing that she was receptive though. They rarely are.

Be sure to really be clear about flavorless yogurt though. The artificially sweetened ones can be toxic to doggies. ;)

technodoll
August 18th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Three cheers for Angies Man! :D we need more like you to change the world, one person at a time! :thumbs up

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Glad to hear you got the message through to someone. :thumbs up

erykah1310
August 19th, 2006, 11:54 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif One down and millions more to go!!!
Good Job!