Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

need some advice

Dog Mom
August 18th, 2006, 11:46 AM
As most of you know I'm preggers with my first child and I have 5 dogs. Weekly I have people coming up to me and asking when I'm going to start getting rid of dogs. I don't plan on getting rid of any, they are a part of the family!! This is really starting to get to me, how do I politely tell people to back off and accept the fact I'm havin' a baby and 5 dogs and 3 ferrets in my family. Any advice would be greatly appreacated :thumbs up

LibbyP
August 18th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Lets get right to the point, the dogs are yours and the soon-to-be-baby is also yours, don't sweat the small stuff, concentrate on you and keeping this baby healthy. I at the time of expecting my first had 2 cats and two dogs and by the hubby to-be's family they were quite disgusted with me for not getting rid of my cats, they told me all kinds of horror stories about cats and babies, and they didn't even get started on the dogs because they knew this was a lost cause. They had to come to terms that 'getting rid of' was not an option and if they wanted to ever spent time with their new great grandbaby, that the pets were also a part of the family, I think it is far healthier for children to grow up with animals and taught to respect them and their space from a young age. Please tell your friends/family that this is not an option and you will be taking every precaution to ensure the safety of everyone, they will come around once the baby arrives, don't worry keep your chin up:grouphug:

cpietra16
August 18th, 2006, 12:09 PM
I went through the same thing...at the time of my pregnancy had 5 cats and2 dogs....just ignore everything. My kids are so respectful of animals that it puts most people to shame. They would never have it any other way. As a matter of fact my 8 year old son now wants to be a vet and always wonders why some people get rid of their pets when there's a new baby in the family...:confused:

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 12:46 PM
I don't have kids and I don't intend to, so if they're a little harsh, I'm sorry. :o

Q: "When are you going to get rid of your dogs?"

A: "Just after I get rid of my husband." :rolleyes:

A: "The dogs don't bug me, but strangers on the street- hey, do you know how to get rid of strangers on the street who don't mind their own business?"

A: "If I get rid of my dogs, who will watch my baby while I'm at work?" :confused:

A: "You mean, I have to get rid of my dogs because of this baby? :eek: Hey, do you know anybody who wants a baby?"

A: "Actually, I'm adopting another dog tomorrow. Wooo!!!!" (and then you throw your hands in the air like you just don't care)

k, that's all I've got.:o

jessi76
August 18th, 2006, 12:58 PM
ROFLMAO! I think you should go w/ prin's advice!

Dog Mom
August 18th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks guys that makes me feel better :) Prin I actually used the one about the dogs taking care of the baby because I'd probably be too busy, I just got an odd look as they walked away:D So child services will probably be knockin on my door the day I bring the baby home LOL

jessi76
August 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
So child services will probably be knockin on my door the day I bring the baby home LOL

good! then they can witness first hand what a wonderful mom you are to your new baby, your 5 dogs, and your 3 ferrets. :)

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Knowing them, they'll take a few years to act, so your kid will be walking and talking by then.

"Ma'am, can I see if your child is ok?"

"Dogfüd, honey, can you come to the door? A man wants to talk to you."

dtbmnec
August 18th, 2006, 01:25 PM
tee hee....I love the whole "just after getting rid of my husband" one...oh and the who will watch my baby at work....lol

Some people are morons...you know it never occured to me that if I have a child I'm "supposed" to get rid of the animals....:confused: I mean I know I shouldn't be cleaning cat litter and such things (hehe poor arron's gonna have to deal with it :p) but getting rid of the cats?! O.o

"I was going to name him Tarzan but I realised the lack of monkeys in the house so I'm going with White Fang instead!" :p (maybe that wasn't funny but whatever)

Megan

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I would just say "Thanks for your opinion" with a look on your face that says "mind your own bleepin business". :D

Dog Mom
August 18th, 2006, 05:10 PM
LOL thanks for the laughs :) I needed it, I've been so stressed about it! Wait until people see pictures of my dogs with *gasp* the baby :P

chico2
August 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
and we want to see pics of the dogs with the baby,don't forget!!

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 06:24 PM
I second that. :thumbs up

And Dog Mom, any time you get down and need a laugh, you know where to come back to. :crazy: