Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Acclimating Rescue Dog

mcbeth
August 17th, 2006, 03:15 PM
I'm hoping someone here can help me with this question.

Two weeks ago hubby brought home an English Bulldog(Big Momma) approx 5-6 years old. She was used as a breeder dog. The people we got her from couldn't afford to keep her, they were getting their utilities shut off, but we don't think these people were the breeders and we have no idea how she was treated.

She has shown aggression to one of our other dogs a female Shar-Pei, Casey. Momma grabbed ahold of Caseys shoulder and wouldn't let go, hubby and I had a heck of a time getting her to let go. We have had Casey for about 6 years since she was a puppy, she too was a rescue.

We have another dog Conrad a basset who is a male. We haven't even brought Momma around him yet. The basset and Momma are crated while we are at work, then in the evening Conrad and Casey go outside, while Momma has stayed in to get to know us. I'm not sure how we are going to work this during the winter, and don't want to have to keep one dog crated all the time.

How do people get a recused dog used to the other dogs in the family? We really don't want to give her up, but if she is going to stay mean to the other dogs, we don't see that we would have much of a choice.

Any thoughts, help and ideas will be appreciated.

Mary Beth

jessi76
August 17th, 2006, 03:48 PM
it's always a good idea to do a trial before committing to adopt. So you can see first hand how the dogs will get along. you blindly took home a dog, not knowing ANYTHING about it... although you meant well, and I commend you for helping out a dog in need, you need to be concerned for your own dog's (and family's) safety. An english bulldog can do some real damage if aggressive.

When looking for a rescue, it's best to go through a rescue organization who properly screens, tests, and places the dogs in appropriate homes. This dog probably should of gone to a rescue able and willing to do that, then she could of been placed in the right home.

You may want to contact a bulldog rescue in your area if you cannot keep this dog.

mcbeth
August 17th, 2006, 04:14 PM
It came up rather suddenly. The people were talking about taking her out in the country and dumping her or shooting her.

Guess we did the wrong thing, we were just trying to save her life. Next time we'll know better, maybe the best and humane thing to have done was just called Animal Control.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate your help.

cpietra16
August 17th, 2006, 05:14 PM
I understand how hard it is to not help under the circumstance.I would have done the same. It really is sad that you don't have any history on her. I would not want to lose my other pets to a new rescue. Is there a way of getting help from a rescue organization. This dog may be able to do better if in a home without another pet. I can imagine she probably had to have dogs around her all the time and its probably just instinct on her part...how sad that humans can effect animals in the worst way possible. :mad:

coppperbelle
August 17th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Please don't feel that you did anything wrong. I bring home fosters all the time and have found that what is important it to let them work out their problems on their own. I introduce them usually through a fence at first and then when everyone has had a good sniff bring the foster into the yard. Granted all my fosters are goldens and usually around the same size. What I have noticed is that the first day or so the new dog is fine and gets along well but soon needs to establish his "place" and will challenge the other dogs by humping or trying to take a toy away. One of my dogs will not stand for anything like that and will put the foster in its place quickly. There may be a few more challenges along the way but rarely is there ever a fight. Any fights that may occur are all noise and my voice yelling to "cut it out" stops them immediately. For the first few days I will always feed the foster separately and will also separate him in either a crate or in my kitchen when I am not home.
Try putting your Bassett in his crate and allow Momma to roam aroudn freely smelling everything and your Bassett. When she has explored for a while put her in the crate and allow your Bassett to roam around and sniff her through the crate. If everything goes well let them out and see what happens.

Caite
August 17th, 2006, 09:34 PM
You might try letting them get to know each other a bit in neutral territory, like in a park nearby or something. This way, no one feels like they have to defend any turf. I've found that this works well when introducing my rescues to the dogs of my family members. Good luck, and you did a good thing. Even if you can't keep this dog, you have given it a chance to have a wonderful life with someone else. Good work!

Angies Man
August 23rd, 2006, 11:06 PM
Give her some benedryl, let it take effect and take her outside with the other dogs. If you feel like she's still gonna chomp on your other pooches, get her a muzzle. Keep her on benedryl for a while if necessary, while she gets used to the new surroundings. Keep her muzzled, too. And of course, feed her separately for a while, I'd bet she has food issues from hell.

Dogs are social animals, her hostility towards your dogs is a learned behavior, she can learn to get along--but you can't allow her to terrorize your other dogs. She'll actually be happier if she can learn to live with other dogs.

I said in another thread that rescued dogs come with baggage, this one's name could be Samsonite. You may need the help of a dog behaviorist, or a good trainer.

I wouldn't give up yet, but your other dogs are what's important.:sad:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 24th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Give her some benedryl, let it take effect and take her outside with the other dogs.

IMO, don't give your dog benadryl unless you consult your veterinarian and find out the correct dosage. Benadryl can have serious side effects, and if you haven't taken the dog to the vet to have it checked out and don't know what conditions it may have you shouldn't be giving it any drugs.

Also, although benadryl is often prescribed as a sedative it could have the opposite effect, so using it on an agressive dog that you know nothing about is a bad idea.

Honestly I would find a foster to take this dog. It is possible to socialize her with other dogs, but since you don't have any experience doing this I would not chance it.
Bulldogs are big and powerful, and figuring out by trial and error how to socialize a big powerful dog with your dogs is a BAD idea IMO.

Also, your dogs up until this point probably had a fairly stable enviroment in your house. Trying to introduce a dog with aggression issues to your dogs, when you're not sure what might happen, could be a traumatic experience to your dogs if something goes wrong.

If you feel like she's still gonna chomp on your other pooches, get her a muzzle.

There are ways to introduce dogs to a muzzle before it is used. You shouldn't just stick a muzzle on a dog and let that be the end of it. You don't know what kind of abuse this dog has had and how she might feel having a device stuck on her face, so just putting a muzzle on her is a BAD idea and could actual result in injury to you or her if she has issues with it.

For all you know, the owners had a muzzle on her before and when she sees it who knows what could happen.

This dog would best benefit from professional help.

Golden Girls
August 25th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Hi Mary Beth :) Two weeks ago hubby brought home an English Bulldog(Big Momma)That was wonderful that you guys saved her :angel:

The people we got her from couldn't afford to keep her, they were getting their utilities shut off, but we don't think these people were the breeders and we have no idea how she was treatedMost probably she wasn't treated well and was merely their source of income. These dogs are very expensive and in the wrong hands live a horrible existance :sad: Can you please have her spayed as soon as possible? Gawwd knows how many pregnancies she'd had and how many little ones have been ripped from her? No wonder she might be aggressive etc :(

Understandably she'll be quite a handful. Should you decide it's just too hard please do not contact your animal control. Maybe a reputable rescue in your area or better a bulldog rescue ... they most likely will be able to help with her to learn socialization skills etc before finding the perfect home ... poor thing. Good luck please let us know what you decide :pawprint:

tenderfoot
August 25th, 2006, 09:04 AM
Its as if you brought home a new child who is bullying your own kids. You would step in a correct the bad manners and actively teach good manners.

Who knows what kind of socialization she has had. She might be feeling defensive and attacks to keep herself safe. She needs your good leadership to show her the way. She needs to have good manners out of respect for you.

Put Momma on a leash in the house. This gives you the chance to catch her early before anything excalates. Get her mind busy on you - teach her lots of words in addition to 'leave it' and 'easy'. You have to help teach her how to live in harmony with the others. As long as she makes bad choices she is on the leash with you or in her crate. As she shows that she can do better then you can start testing her - but you have to be ready to correct the bad choices just as you are ready to reward the good ones.