Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need Help w/ My Alarm Clock Kitty

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 17th, 2006, 02:07 PM
My kitten wakes me up all through the night by kneading in my hair. (I think that's what it's called). Any way, I will pick her up and lay her on her own pillow and try to go back to sleep and she finds her way back to my hair and starts doing it again, as if she's trying to find her mother's milk or something. :cat: If I tell her no and move her back to her own pillow, she smacks me and meows. At first I thought that it was normal, and thought that it would go away, because I adopted her from the animal shelter, and her mother was adopted by another individual the day before I adopted her and I just thought she did it because she missed her. I have virtually tried everything to make her quit. I have placed another food and water dish on my night stand and I have pulled my hair up at night. Nothing has worked!!!!! Lately, I have had to sleep with the sheets covering my head to keep her from waking me.... and I wake up to her scratching and biting at my legs and feet, because she's angry that I covered my head. She's almost 6 mnths old. :shrug: What can I do?????????:pray:

:offtopic: Also, how can I stop her from attacking my legs while I am watching tv, she doesnt do this to my fiance, only me?:pawprint:

*Thanks, in advance,
Laura

cpietra16
August 17th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Can you close the door to your bedroom? You can place her on "HER" bed with a stuffed animal. One of my cat's used to knead the pillow....it became his after awhile and no one was allowed to get near it.
Ofcourse you can always get her another playmate..:D

jessi76
August 17th, 2006, 02:37 PM
my cat does this too, and she's never been in a shelter. It's simply snuggle time! cats are very affectionate creatures. (I've had 1 or 2 that weren't "snuggle bugs" but the rest have been very snuggly)

My cat (all 15lbs of her) sits ON my head, kneads my hair, squishes her face into my ear, and then.... DROOLS. (every evening!)

it's normal. your cat doesn't want food/water in a new location, she wants to snuggle you.

as for attacking your legs... get yourself a squirt bottle - give her a little spritz when she attacks. oh, and sit perfectly still... the slightest movement can provoke an "attack"... ;)

do you have pics of this little monster?

MyBirdIsEvil
August 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM
At least it doesn't drool on you.
I used to have a cat that even at 12 years old not long before it died would drool in hair.
I'd wake up a lot to a cat kneading my hair and my hair would be covered in drool. I don't mean a little bit, I mean completely SOAKED in drool to the point where I had to take a shower to get it off.
The only way to prevent this was to close my bedroom door.
My parents had this cat from the time I was 3 years old 'til it died (about 9 yrs I guess) and I don't think there was any way to break it of the habit, if you had long hair and wanted to hold the kitty or let it sleep with you, you were getting drooled on :frustrated: .
One of the cats I have now is a little over a year old and he also kneads (though no drooling luckily :rolleyes: ), so I just lock him out of my bedroom.
Cats are nocturnal, there's almost no way to keep them from waking you up in the middle of the night if they feel like it, especially if they have no other kitties to play with. They tend to get bored being up and wide awake in the middle of the night with no one to play with. Maybe you could try getting him a lot of toys he really likes? Even if he has toys, he may not care about most of them, it's hard to find lots of toys that a cat likes.
Another thought is playing with him and keeping him active enough during the day so it wears him out enough that he won't want attention at night, though this can be difficult with a nocturnal animal.

Also, how can I stop her from attacking my legs while I am watching tv, she doesnt do this to my fiance, only me?

Really, I think she'll grow out of that, but don't give her attention for it.
If you keep picking her up and moving, or nudging her with your foot she'll start seeing it as a game. I would try ignoring it. Maybe try getting some softpaws for her so when she scratches at you it doesn't hurt.
If she gets really agressive about it maybe pick her up and move her to another room for a few minutes. Just be sure not to give her any attention when you pick her up. Face her away from you and don't hold her close to your body.
You could also try spraying her with water every time she scratches/bites your legs. A few people on here think that's bad but it's never effected any of my cats (other than to deter them from the unwanted behavior), and since she has a habit of heavily badgering you I doubt it would her either.

At first I thought that it was normal, and thought that it would go away, because I adopted her from the animal shelter, and her mother was adopted by another individual the day before I adopted her and I just thought she did it because she missed her.

It is normal.
Not all cats are solitary creatures, many of them, like yours, are very social and want lots of attention. It has nothing to do with her missing her mother, she misses getting to play and socialize constantly with other cats/people in general. Do you ever play with her yourself? Kittens love to chase things and interact with you while playing with their toys, they can do this for hours.

jiorji
August 17th, 2006, 03:32 PM
you can try squirting her with water on both occasions.

But she's a kitten, she needs attention and she might grow out of it. My cats don't knead though so i've never had this issue. But when one of them was a kitten she'd always demand to be with me overnight. If i locked her out she'd cry and cry. SO maybe your kitty needs that kind of reassurance and safety from you. ANd yes I know we can't always be there for them and it's best that she's not used to that, but maybe when she kneads , try to pet her a bit and see if she settles down.

or just shave your head off :evil: hehe

my cat too attacks my feet and it CANNOT be ignored as mentioned above :rolleyes: because sitting there pretty ignoring sharp nails digging in your skin is NOT nice:frustrated: hehe ...so try squirting her with water or have a toy handy taht she can pounce on instead. May i suggest a kitty dancer...she'll love pouncing on that.
DO you trim her nails? I find that when my kitty's nails are trimmed she's less eager to attack my feet...maybe because there's no satisfaction to see me jump at the feel of her sharp nails in the morning :rolleyes: :pawprint:

chico2
August 17th, 2006, 03:47 PM
I believe she's just simply bored,a little playmate would definetly help.
My cats sleep all night in my bed,but we spend our days with them(ret),so they have our routine.
A cat left alone all day,will mostly sleep and when the owners are there it's PLAYTIME:cat:
Attacking feet is something most kittens do and they usually grow out of.
Get a laserpointer,so you can play with him while watching TV,my cats love it,but don't shine the light in her yes.
Most cats(mine anyway)will not play on their own with toys,you have to play with her...also,2 kittens are always better than one:cat:

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Kittens crave attention and I agree that a little playmate would definitely help. I've always had two or more cats at one time and it definitely works out better. :cat:

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 18th, 2006, 06:48 PM
It is normal.
Not all cats are solitary creatures, many of them, like yours, are very social and want lots of attention. It has nothing to do with her missing her mother, she misses getting to play and socialize constantly with other cats/people in general. Do you ever play with her yourself? Kittens love to chase things and interact with you while playing with their toys, they can do this for hours.

I have locked her out of the bedroom, we even gave her her own room with a small cat cottage and toys galore. This hasn't worked at all for me, she will sit at the door and cry and scratch at the door.
She hasn't gotten along with other kittens, I took her to my mom's house and let her outside to play with my mom's new kitten, :cat: and they fought and hissed at each other. She does however, get along with my dwarf rabbit when I let him out to exercise and play with him. She tries to clean his fur, but I don't let her around the rabbit that much, because I am afraid she will play too rough with him and end up hurting him because he isnt afraid of her and will just sit there and let her do whatever she wants.
She also has to sleep with a nite light :candle: or she will whine until someone turns a light on for her. I try to run her down during the day so she will be tired at night and sleep without kneading my hair all night, I've even taught her how to play tag so that she will get plently of exercise during the day (she thinks that she can play tag with the mirror too).:highfive: .... which is really cute to watch.
So, believe me, she gets tonssssss of attention during the day when I get off of work, and we make a trip to PetSmart once every 2 weeks to buy her a new toy so that she won't get too bored with the ones that she has.:queen: She does let me cut her nails so that it doesnt hurt as bad when she scratches me.... but believe me, there is nooooo way to ignore her when she does it, because if I dont pay attention, she jumps in my lap, and if I dont start petting her, then she gets on my shoulder and starts kneading my head and digging her paws in.
I think I will try the softpaws thing that someone commented on, maybe that will stop the scratching, but the kneading thing?!, I have no idea what to do.
****Thanks to everyone that commented, I'm going to PetSmart to check on softpaws :thumbs up ****

Thanks again~~~Laura

P.S. For the one that wanted to see a picture, Baby Isabell's picture is on my comments:pawprint:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I have locked her out of the bedroom, we even gave her her own room with a small cat cottage and toys galore. This hasn't worked at all for me, she will sit at the door and cry and scratch at the door.

And every time you let her in it teachers her that the more she cries and annoys you the faster she'll get her way. I know it's annoying to have a cat scratching and meowing at the door all night but every time you let them in they'll just do it more.
One of my current kitties, Jack, used to be terrible about doing this. I turned the fan in my bedroom all the way up and sat something against the door (my door isn't very stiff so when he'd scratch it it'd go "BANG BANG BANG") so I wouldn't have to listen to it while trying to sleep. It took a long time but now he doesn't meow at the door in the middle of the night near as much.
Believe me, I know how annoying it can be, I've also had siamese and siamese mixes, and they sound like babies crying when they want attention, but you just have to ignore it.

She also has to sleep with a nite light or she will whine until someone turns a light on for her.

:confused: She's a cat, she doesn't need light. The only reason she probably does this is 'cause she knows she'll get to see you when you go turn the light on.

Oh yeah, as far as the scratching, when I had kittens I used to wrestle with them with my hands, and tickle their belly and stuff. Whenever they got too rough with their claws in the course of play, the game would stop. Eventually they learned to keep their claws in at all times. No claws=attention, claws=no attention.
I dunno how much this would help with your cat though, plus I'm not really bothered by being scratched, so I dunno.

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM
She hasn't gotten along with other kittens, I took her to my mom's house and let her outside to play with my mom's new kitten, and they fought and hissed at each other.

Of course that's going to happen when they first meet and you just throw them at each other. :D

I would go to the shelter and get another kitten approximately the same age and introduce them slowly. Within a week they'll be best buddies and you'll never regret it. ;)

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 18th, 2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks "mybirdisevil" I will try that as well. If she gets too rough with her claws I will just stop playing with her for a while. I think you're right about her scratching and whining until she gets her way, I guess I never really thought of it that way, until you mentioned it to me, I will try to keep her in her own room tonight or just shut my bedroom door and sleep with the radio or tv on:) . Thanks!

Stacer
August 18th, 2006, 07:23 PM
Our cats used to do that too when they were kittens. I would constantly be woken up throughout the night. They both eventually grew out of it. Now they chase each other around during the night and it often leads to them both leaping onto our bed and wrestling on top of us then falling off and running into the livingroom. You end up trading one annoyance for another with cats it seems, it's just a matter of looking forward to the change.:D

chico2
August 19th, 2006, 06:21 AM
As for the "night-light",we keep a light on 24/7 where the litter-boxes are down-stairs and also the stove-light at night:D
When we leave the house for a day,I even leave the radio on for the cats:cat:
Cats see better than us at night,but I always think in human terms and I definetly do not like pitch dark,so my cats get light:love:

Brandy101bbb
August 19th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Awwww your kitty just wants some love lol... my litties do the same thing so we started sleeping with our door shut maybe try keeping the kitty outta the bedroom.

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 20th, 2006, 09:08 AM
Ok, I put her in her room the other night and shut the door and turned the radio on, so I couldnt hear her whine, thinking that she would go to sleep or stop whining. Well, amazingly, she found a way out of her bedroom and down stairs to mine. (I think she dug at the bottom of the door until she could move it enough to open with her little paws).:pawprint: Well, when I went to PetSmart the other night, I found this toy that I thought she might like..... it's a cat nip scratching pad, with a little track around it, that she can smack the ball around the scratching pad. (ok, so I probably made that sound confusing). I had that laying in the floor in a bag.... and when I woke up the next morning, she was in the floor playing with it, (she had pulled it out of the bag that night)
So, for the past 2 nights, she has not been kneading my hair. Probably because before she gets to the bed, there are new toys to distract her.
:cloud9:
Thanks to everyone!!

JoshLauraMcGirr
August 20th, 2006, 09:26 AM

Here is a picture of Isabell. This was taken while we were playing tag, lol. (She likes to run up to me, smack me, then run and hide) She was trying to get behind my couch in this picture.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Awww! I wuv kittens, but we keep getting older cats because both times we've went to adopt a cat everyone's always looking at the kittens and ignoring the older kitties :sad: .
I've raised so many kittens though I guess I don't need to get another kitten to experience it, lol.
We have 3 cats and the youngest one was probably 6 months when she moved herself into our house. The other two were 1 and 5 yrs old when we adopted them.

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Awww, Isabell, is a real cutie and definitely has a mischievious look to her. :cat: