Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Winter shelter for feral cat

vfrohloff
August 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I have a cat that's been hanging around my house. Actually he probably hangs around because I feed him. ;) I'm pretty sure he's the father (or brother) of my cat Petunia who I found 2 years ago on the side of the road half dead at 3 weeks old. He looks just like her. Anyway, I have a soft spot for the little guy but I'm worried about him this winter. I've wormed him and have been feeding him lots to try and fatten him up, but it gets really cold and windy around here in wintertime. We have a back porch that he hides under and he sometimes goes under the back deck which is quite well protected with lattice. The deck is only about a foot high so I don't think much snow gets under there and it's probably quite well protected from the wind. If he stays under the deck and near the house will he be warm enough, or should I build him some kind of shelter under the back porch? He looks like an older cat so obviously he's done ok in previous winters, but this is the first year he's been hanging around our house. I would bring him in on really cold days, but he's very wild and won't let me touch him. Any suggestions?

poodletalk
August 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM
I can't help where to place him, but I am wondering if he's sterilized.

If not, I can help you get a reduced rate on the sterilization so this way he won't get any other stray female cats pregnant.

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Have you tried trapping him? :cat:

happycats
August 17th, 2006, 10:04 PM
I had a stray for a year (December to December) so I had 2 winters to get her through.
I used a mmedium sized rubbermaid tote, on it's side I put in a smaller cardboard box and between the box and tote I stuffed foam, then used a wool blanket for the inside. I cut a small hole in the lid of the tote and the cardboard box so Mimi (the stray) could get in, then put a plastic flap in on the outside of the hole, to keep out wind and water.
I also ,always warmed her food, milk and water, to help keep her warm internally.
Good luck, and I hope your stray finds a forever home (don't give up hope)

badger
August 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Here's a useful site:
http://www.pacthumanesociety.org/core/WinterTips.htm

vfrohloff
August 18th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will build him a shelter. He's not fixed yet, I am saving up for it. One of my local vets will do it for cheap (well, kinda), but I just spent $750 having one of my dogs at the vet so I'll have to wait a couple of weeks. He's really very wild so I cannot place him, and none of the shelters around here have room. He seems rather content with his current situation, but I just want to make sure he's warm enough this winter.

RaYne
August 18th, 2006, 10:27 AM
We have a stray here also. During the winter we haul a large insulated doghouse up on our porch stuffed with straw for him. It has a flap over the door to keep the wind/snow out. During the summer he sleeps in a cardboard box under our patio table. He's not picky.. he'll sleep in anything.

I've tried to re-home him but noone wants him because he's black. :rolleyes: I even called the humane society and they won't take him unless he injured or dying :frustrated:

He's even great with dogs.. which surprised me because my dogs are not exactly small. But does not like other cats.. period. Last time I brought him in my house one of my cats required a trip to the vet for a torn ear. :sad:

Ooops sorry I went a little off topic.. But if you have access to a doghouse they work rather well for winter.

LibbyP
August 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I was going to suggest a doghouse with straw as well,(keeps them warmer and dry) he's still going to get cold but at least it will offer some shelter and I'd get it soon and start to feed him near/in it so when the colder weather comes he will be used to it already. In the winter you don't really have to offer a water bowel, he'll find his own supply, and never offer milk, dry kibble and if you want to spoil him alittle wet won't hurt, good luck you are a kind soul to help him out:angel:

Lise
August 19th, 2006, 07:50 AM
I have some plans for an inexpensive easy to build shelter that we used for some colonies of feral cats in mtl from Alley cat allies I'll try to post them

erykah1310
August 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I really like the tote idea, thats a great one! perhaps with some straw in the box too that would help to keep him warm.

Trapping is really easy, you just have to be sure to check frequently on the trap.

If you have a spare bedroom that is rarely in use, i would suggest trapping him and settling him in there. I did it recently and the cat I thought was feral was indeed a snuggly puss! He is addicted to attention now.

Good luck and thanks so much for feeding and worming him!

happycats
August 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
I really like the tote idea, thats a great one! perhaps with some straw in the box too that would help to keep him warm.

thank you:o , it's very inexpensive too!

Trapping is really easy, you just have to be sure to check frequently on the trap.

If you have a spare bedroom that is rarely in use, i would suggest trapping him and settling him in there. I did it recently and the cat I thought was feral was indeed a snuggly puss! He is addicted to attention now.

Good luck and thanks so much for feeding and worming him!

I tried to bring my stray into the spare bedroom, but my one boy "Jay" (who has aggression problems) went nuts and started attacking all my other cats.
But I guess as long as your other pets don;t mind it's a great idea.

badger
August 21st, 2006, 09:43 AM
Can I ask you what you used to worm him? I'm feeding a couple of strays right now. I would love to worm them, but they are so thin, I worry it will be too hard on their systems.
Inexplicably, my vet is also reluctant to give me worm meds without seeing the cat or a fecal sample, both of which are impossible at the moment.

vfrohloff
August 21st, 2006, 03:39 PM
I can't remember the name of the pills I used, they weren't expensive. They were small, orangey colored things. I find if I hit my vet up for stuff like that when I'm in there for something else it really helps. I also know that 2 of the 4 vets at the clinic I go to are real softies for ferals so I tend to ask them and not the others. ;) He was pretty skinny at the time, and I had to give him 2 doses 2 weeks apart. He's getting fatter now, but I'll worm him again before winter comes. I crushed the pills up and put it in his food, he didn't seem to notice.