Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Solid Gold SEP

vfrohloff
August 17th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Stop Eating Poop! I thought I was imagining things when I saw it in the store. It's a supplement that's added to the dog's food that supposedly stops them from eating poop. I guess it makes their poops taste yucky. Has anyone ever tried it? I clean my yard every single day, but there is always a stray nugget or two that Benny will find and eat. I also cannot watch them in the yard every second they are out there, and I know that Benny will eat Sophie's poop (and his own for that matter) a nanosecond after she's done (sorry TMI!). Anyway, I bought some to try and I hope it works.

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 11:15 AM
What food are you feeding? Sometimes with foods with a lot of fillers, a ton of protein just passes right through and the result is a tasty treat on the other side...

Violeta
August 17th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Sorry no advice but this is so strange. I have never even thought that dogs would do that … :yuck:

SunGurl372
August 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry no advice but this is so strange. I have never even thought that dogs would do that … :yuck:

LOL....my folks' Bassett is a poop gourmet! If given the chance, he will immediately eat his own poop, like it's caviar or something. He doesn't touch Harley's, but then again, he's fed Iams and Harley gets Timberwolf Organics. Not too surprising, huh?!!!

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 11:56 AM
What food are you feeding? Sometimes with foods with a lot of fillers, a ton of protein just passes right through and the result is a tasty treat on the other side...

Prin, as you know, I feed my dogs top quality food (Solid Gold Wolf King right now) and I'm still having this problem with my lab. He will only eat my husky's not his own. :confused:

technodoll
August 17th, 2006, 11:57 AM
my folks' Bassett is a poop gourmet! If given the chance, he will immediately eat his own poop, like it's caviar or something. He doesn't touch Harley's, but then again, he's fed Iams

yep not surprising at all... poor dog is still hungry after eating iams crap and is looking for nutrition where he can! :frustrated:

Violeta
August 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM
LOL....my folks' Bassett is a poop gourmet! If given the chance, he will immediately eat his own poop, like it's caviar or something. He doesn't touch Harley's, but then again, he's fed Iams and Harley gets Timberwolf Organics. Not too surprising, huh?!!!

I should have specified …

Back home we do not use kibble, dogs and cats are usually feed a mixture of rice, vegetables, organs, meat etc. (this is the case of my dogs)
We do not feed kibble because the only things available there are the bad stuff : Pedigree, Iams ….

My point is that I have NEVER seen a dog there eating it’s fesses and I think that it’s a little disturbing that here they do because they are being fed kibble …

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 01:43 PM
My point is that I have NEVER seen a dog there eating it’s fesses and I think that it’s a little disturbing that here they do because they are being fed kibble …
lol fesses... (that means hiney in French).
Only crap kibble. Kibble with undigestible things in it like corn.;)

Violeta
August 17th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Hey Prin, sorry English is my 3rd language so I make funny mistakes sometimes … :crazy:

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 02:20 PM
It's ok, there are a lot of people here for whom English isn't their first language. :) That one was just funny because I speak French, too (and because my doggy used to eat his fesses- when he ate too much flaxseed his anal glands got itchy..). :D

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 03:13 PM
So, Prin, why does my lab eat poop? :frustrated:

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 04:49 PM
What food does your dog eat? (I assume it's a good one ;)) Does he eat his own or other dogs'? Some dogs are just nuts and eat it no matter what (i.e. really a behavioral thing and not really an instinctual thing with a purpose). It could also be that even if he's on good food, something is missing that he needs more of.

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Well they were on Nutro, California Natural briefly, Timberwolf Organics and now Solid Gold Wolf King. :frustrated:

I actually think it's a behavioural thing because he is nuts....he's a labradork. :crazy:

So, he's on good food so how do I go about finding out "what he needs more of"? :confused:

Besides a brain. :D

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I dunno.. Some dogs are pretty obvious about it (like they beg harder when you have broccoli or something weird like that). Have you tried the Sea Meal? Or adding some canned to the food? Maybe I'm way off, but usually if they're on a good food (but still lacking something), they're lacking some sort of veg.

wdawson
August 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
beathoven eats poop if given the chance.......not his own.....he trys to clean the cats litter box:yuck:

technodoll
August 17th, 2006, 05:49 PM
some dogs are just poop lovers... rabbit poop, horse poop, hobo poop, anything goes... :yuck: I would recommend feeding your dog more meat, not veggies, in addition to his food to see if that helps your dear carnivorous friend :)

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
some dogs are just poop lovers... rabbit poop, horse poop, hobo poop, anything goes...

LOL...that's the other dog (husky) His faves are elk poop and bear poop but that's only if we let him run loose down by the river. :crazy: Also goose poop which terrifies me because of bird flu. :eek:

The lab only eats the husky's poop. :frustrated:

I do add veggies and meat when I have leftovers but with hubby gone again there isn't much of those as I tend not to cook if I don't have to. :D

Skryker
August 17th, 2006, 06:04 PM
Ugh! Fingal is fine, but Miss Bronwyn loves her kitty fritters. :yuck:

I have to watch her very closely outside and Dancer's litterbox is safely closed off in a closet that the dogs can't get into. Bronny will even dive for the litter box in preference to the cat's food dish. Ewwwww.

vfrohloff
August 18th, 2006, 09:14 AM
They are both fed Holistic Blend Lamb and Rice with SG Sea Meal and SG canned added in. This is apparently a really common problem with Greyhounds. They are fed real crap at the racetrack (bananas, marshmallows), and they are also starved a bit to maintain an ideal race weight. They all go out in a big pen together to do their business, and many of them eat poop because they're so hungry. Benny raced until he was 4 1/2 so he had a long time to develop a taste for it. :yuck: Sophie, my other Greyhound only raced until she was 2 1/2 and she doesn't seem to like poop as much as Benny does. Maybe that's because he never leaves her any! :rolleyes: I really don't think it would matter what I fed Benny, he'd still do it, and cat turds are another matter altogether. I had to move all my litter boxes upstairs and put a gate up to keep him out, it's like some sort of delicacy. EEEEEWWWW!:yuck: :yuck: :yuck:

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 11:51 AM
lol Benny!! :D So you're going to try the SEP stuff? Let us know if it works.:)

vfrohloff
August 19th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Well, they've been on the SEP for 3 days now. I purposely didn't clean the yard yesterday to see if Benny would go for it. He sniffed around a bit this morning but I didn't see him eating any turds, mind you he may have seen me watching him. Sneaky little bugger, he'll never do it if I'm around. I wonder if it works that fast? I'm going to put him out for a while this afternoon and watch him from the upstairs window, he can't see me from there unless he looks up, which he never does. He's smart but I'm smarter ;)

rainbow
August 19th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I'd really like to know if it works too. Looking forward to your next update. :D

vfrohloff
August 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM
I was going to put them out for a few hours yesterday afternoon and spy on Benny, but it rained! Darn it! It's not raining too much now, but DH just de-pooped the yard. BTW, the dogs love the taste of the SEP, they go crazy at mealtime and get all excited. I'll keep ya posted on Benny's poop-a-holism.

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Yeah, as far as I know, it's the digestive enzymes that alter the taste and make it icky afterward.

This thread is so suspenseful! lol

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 07:11 PM
So is it the same as Forbid?

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Guess so- both have glutamate in there...
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/showproduct.php?id=44&code=670

http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/dogcat/forbidanticoprop.html?E+scstore

Only forbid has wheat gluten, which some doggies might be allergic to.

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 08:04 PM
And, also MSG!!! :eek: :yuck:

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Well, ya. It's the msg that converts in the stomach into nasty tasting things. It's the crucial ingredient.

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I would never feed that to my dogs. It's just as bad as menadione. :eek:

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but this is usually only for a week or so until the behavior is corrected... In some cases, it's either msg or poop (if it can't be corrected with a leash).

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
Well, as disgusting as it is, mine can eat poop :yuck: instead of msg. However, he is listening better now to the "leave it" command.

technodoll
August 20th, 2006, 10:06 PM
* Some alternatives to drugs that work for some:

Add two to four tablespoons of canned pumpkin to the food bowl each day. Pumpkin apparently tastes good in food, but repugnant when expelled in excrement.

Add a spoon (teaspoon or tablespoon depending on the dog's size) of canned pineapple, pineapple juice or spinach to the dog's food.

wonder if this works? :confused:

Prin
August 20th, 2006, 10:22 PM
I've heard of pineapple before. The only concern there is the high sugar content...

Meat tenderizer can also be used.. Not sure what it does though.

MyBirdIsEvil
August 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
Meat tenderizer can also be used.. Not sure what it does though.

Not sure if it's connected, but meat tenderizer is often just msg with some other stuff added, so that may be why.

rainbow
August 20th, 2006, 11:36 PM
I think meat tenderizer uses papain which comes from papaya which would be fine if there's a brand with no/low salt. I'll have to check that out next time I'm in town.

TD, I've tried the pumpkin but it didn't work. I also think the pineapple would have too much sugar. I haven't tried the spinach though so I'll get some when I'm in town checking out the meat tenderizer.

Do you guys know how much spinach or meat tenderizer I should use for a 80 lb. lab?

vfrohloff
August 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM
OMG, I had no idea that Glutamic Acid was the same as MSG! :eek: I just did a little research and found out that MSG can cause neurological problems (among other things). I'm really annoyed that SG would have such a supplement out there, I thought they were all about health and well being of pets. I guess that's what I get for blindly trusting any company whose bottom line is to make money, even if most of their other products are good. At the very least they should warn people that the supplement is for short term use only. I'm going to try and get my money back; I'm ticked off that I spent $16.99 on something that could harm my animals.

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
I think that SEP and other products like them should have to clearly state on the label that the product contains MSG.

Prin
August 21st, 2006, 11:24 AM
Well, it's not really MSG in it, it's Glutamic Acid, so they don't really have to say anything. Glutamic acid is just another amino acid.

MSG is monosodium glutamate... Not really 100% the same.:shrug:

rainbow
August 21st, 2006, 04:21 PM
There are different forms of glutamic acid. MSG is processed free glutamic acid.

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/manufac.html

I would think the glutamic acid in SEP is probably MSG if that's what Forbid says it uses since it is the active ingredient.

I also think that because of the huge controversy about MSG, all companies (both human and pet related) should be upfront in their labelling and not just use the term glutamic acid. :evil: