Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Shampoo

rivers
August 17th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I need some tips on what brand of dog shampoo I should get. The prev. shampoo I bought was cheap, did the job, but I find I need a lot of it to work up a lather. I need foam!
Any recommendations?
I would be looking at pet stores or supermarkets. I have a schnauzer with thick fur. Also, the shampoo should be able to bring out the white in her muzzle, but that will probably stay muddy brown forever :rolleyes:

Can I use human baby shampoo, as in Johnsons? Don't jump down my throat, just wondering, haven't tried it yet. Probably won't, although it does lather nicely.;)

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I've heard of using baby shampoo... I've never tried it, but I wanted to... I use a milky shampoo that doesn't lather. The first time I tried it, I used nearly a whole bottle on Boo before I figured out it wasn't supposed to lather.:D But I vaguely remember something from grade 9 science class that the bubbles are actually what removes the grease or something, so it definitely is weird that there's no lather in some of these.:confused:

rivers
August 17th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Oh, so it might be ok to use Johnsons?! I figured it is no tears, lathers nicely, and easy to rinse out (very important!). mmmm, I'll wait for some more replies to this thread before I try it.

technodoll
August 17th, 2006, 11:34 AM
i use the #1 All Systems brand, it's marvelous: https://www.businessvision.net/Edge/Main.asp?D=%7B204C662D%2DB701%2D4B34%2D8C29%2D1CFC 40AE90AA%7D&PageType=ProductList&DisplayMode=Category&CategoryID=837269

i use the blue (whitening) shampoo, it dilutes 10-1 so a gallon will last years. lathers up thick and rich, smells gently wonderful, specially formulated for canine skin & coat PH, and has different formulas for different coat type. rinses off cleanly and easily too.

10/10! :thumbs up

mafiaprincess
August 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM
I use people shampoo and conditioner. So do all the breeders I'm friends with on the show circuit, and they all have a good number of CH'd dogs with lovely coats. Mainly dog shampoo is a way to overcharge you for shampoo or conditioner because it's 'for dogs'. Most of it works mediocrely for a high price in a small bottle.

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
The thing with human shampoos is the coloring and the fragrance... Doggies (and humans) can be sensitive to both.

technodoll
August 17th, 2006, 05:33 PM
as many dogs are allergic to the strong perfumes & chemicals in human products (and in cheap dog products too!). I would strongly recommend staying away from them, as do most of the breeders i know (thick-coated dogs specially). Good quality dog shampoos do not cost more than human products. a 16 ounce bottle of #1 All Systems costs $10, and dilutes 10 to 1... try to find good-quality human shampoo for $10 per 160 ounces, which are guaranteed to make your dog shine with minimum fuss :)

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Maybe we should be using doggie shampoo. :D

technodoll
August 17th, 2006, 05:43 PM
when i'm a granny and i want to brighten my white hair... :thumbs up

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 06:13 PM
I have white hair but I'm not a granny. :crazy:

rivers
August 17th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I thought we had to use dog shampoo because human shampoo dries out their skin?
So if Johnsons is fragrance and chemical free, it should be ok, right? It's ok for babies.

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 06:23 PM
I always thought Johnson's had a fragrance. It sure smells nice.

Angies Man
August 17th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I always thought Johnson's had a fragrance. It sure smells nice.

Got some nice lavender scented glycerine soap I'm gonna try. (It's cheap, smells rather nice, lathers really nicely, and is fairly mild.)

coppperbelle
August 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
Johnson's Baby Shampoo is excellent, it is mild and smells nice. It was recommended to me by a trainer many years ago and I still use it today. I don't bathe my goldens very often but when I do I use baby shampoo.

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 09:18 PM
That settles it, coppper. Next bath = baby shampoo.

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 09:35 PM
So what makes it smell so nice? And, I mean the original, not the new lavender one.

babyrocky1
August 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
MY hairdresser recommends Main and Tail....Rocky and i Both use it, its cheap and it makes his coat shiny, its supposed to make fine "people' hair thicker, Im not sure about that but it works at least as well as as the salon brand I used to buy LOL Its definately a shampoo the whole family can use!:pawprint:

MyBirdIsEvil
August 18th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I used to use mane n tail shampoo and conditioner for myself and it worked great. The only reason I stopped using it is 'cause I get tired of using the same stuff over and over again, I like to try different brands.
I haven't tried it on my dogs yet though, I wasn't sure how well it works.
We've been using the PearLyt shampoo that our vet sells. It's kind of expensive but it's the only thing that seems to actually clean the dogs well without having to use a whole bottle and scrub them down for a long time. It also smells the best IMO compared to everything else I've tried.
Lately I've also been using Fresh N Clean conditioner which has baking soda in it, it makes them smell really good.

Violeta
August 18th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Here is the problem: almost all the dog/cat products that Iíve seen in the pet stores do not list the ingredients on the packaging. This very bad because you can not possible make an educated decision with ought having the ingredients. As in the case of human products there are a lot of different types of detergents used and some are known for being harsh (Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate) others are gentle and safe for use (Sodium Laureth Sulfate) .

I am working to get a complete list of these detergents and the rating but I need a little time :thumbs up

And just so every1 knows 100% of the hairdressers/groomers that I talked to had no knowledge of ingredients and they would recommend stuff just from commercials or like vets whatever they had to push :frustrated:

rivers
August 18th, 2006, 09:24 AM
wow. And here I thought I was going to get yelled at for using baby shampoo!

Talking about doggie shampoo, I agree on how some brands don't smell nice. The previous brand I had, after washing her that day, I couldn't sleep that night with the smell of her lying next to the bed. It was such a strong perfume. Needless to say, Ebony got another rinse the next morning to subdue the fragrance.