Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

bazil-groomed

loveyadogs
August 17th, 2006, 07:44 AM
first time groomed at pet store, he is nothimself, at all. I thought he would perk up by morning but he is really upset, his tail was shaved so I think that is botheringhim as he walks then sits down reallt quickly....he is a shihtzu but now looks like a chi!! :frustrated:
but I know it will all grow in and I just wonder if anyone else is similar with grooming issues.

muckypup
August 17th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Was it his first time groomed ever? How old is he?

rainbow
August 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Poor baby....he's probably totally embarrassed. :o

loveyadogs
August 17th, 2006, 03:46 PM
:cloud9: yes he may be embarrased, he turned one last week ! and it has always beenme to groom him...:p

Melei'sMom
August 18th, 2006, 04:54 AM
it could be the shaved tail thing...why would they shave a shih tzu's tail anyway?

But I would first check him all over for any scrapes or cuts and examine his nails to see if they got the quick. If they did something that hurt, he may just be recovering from that and be fine in a day or two.

loveyadogs
August 18th, 2006, 07:07 AM
he is the same again today, he has no cuts or nicks, he is just very odd acting, not himself.i think he is upset abotu the tail as well.But not sure what I can do for him:pawprint:

Bushfire2000
August 18th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Poor love. Just remember to gush over him and tell him how beautiful he is. Cocoa had her first clip last week (prev. I'd just cut her fur with scissors) When I went to pick her up she was very hangdoggy until I gushed and told her how beautiful she is. I think she's cold too, it must be a shock to be naked all of a sudden.
Did they express his anal glands? Maybe thats whats bothering him.

loveyadogs
August 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM
they didnt , express them, no.They shaved his tail off, she said it had matts.i think he thinks his tail is gone, missing , as he goes to walk and then sits quick and cowers.i will keep telling him , i just hope he snps out of this soon:pray:

SnowDancer
August 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
My Eskimo would be very upset if his tail was shaved - he uses it a lot to tantalize every other dog in sight - so if your pup likes to wag that tail he will notice the difference. My dog's groomer is excellent and wouldn't think of shaving his tail - or his double coated fur either - but while at the giant pet store that starts with a "P" buying cat litter I saw 2 Eskies shaved to the pink - including head and tail - they looked like shaved rats - and they were not matted going in as I saw them as did one of the trainers who also has an Eskimo. I asked the "P" groomer what cut they would suggest for my Eskie and she said a full shave. Not a chance. Your poor pup - will probably itch as fur grows in. Time to find a new groomer!

muckypup
August 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
:cloud9: yes he may be embarrased, he turned one last week ! and it has always beenme to groom him...:p

Dogs donít get embarrassed; they donít care what they look like only we do.
1 year old is way too long to wait for his first professional haircut. Puppies should be started as soon as they have received all of their puppy vaccines.
Shih Tzuís should be professionally groomed every 6 weeks as well as be properly maintained at home. If the maintenance between grooming's cannot be provide at home for whatever reason I recommend more frequent visits to the groomer. It doesnít have to be a full groom; perhaps just a bath and brush to keep the coat clean, healthy and matt free.
Pet Stores are notorious for shave downs, most do many dogs a day in an assemble line fashion. I believe this type of grooming can be traumatizing especially for puppies or for a dogís first groom. They are rushed and passed from one person to the next. They canít get comfortable and feel safe in that kind of environment.
A full groom is too much all at once for a new dog, even if they just had a little break between the nail trim/bath/blowdry/haircut... It may take a couple appointments before they start to know the drill and become comfortable. A lot of places just shave them because itís easy and takes less time so they can do a lot of dogs and make a lot of money.
Having said that, people always like to blame the groomer for shave downs. Many times when your dog is matted the only option is to shave. Some coats can be dematted but it can be a long, painful, stressful process for the dog just to save a Ĺ inch. It is not worth it and after all that money spent on dematting the quality of the coat always turns out bad. Who would want to risk their petís well being for vanity anyway? I must admit shave downs are pretty functional for most pet dogs; they just want to be dogs and run threw mud puddles etc and people are just too busy to brush everyday.
It is simple, if you want your pet to have a long coat you have to maintain it or pay the groomer too, bring them in once a week. ;)
I think your pup was just a little traumatized because he was matted = pain and he had a full grooming for the first time which I think is a bit much but necessary in his case. Just keep up with his groomings and find a better groomer!
Hope heís back to his normal self soon.

Angies Man
August 19th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Muckypup is correct, 1 year old is way to old to get to the groomer for the first time. As soon as all the puppy shots are in is the time--and your pups groomer should be very well trained and gentle.

Your dog is probably a bit in shock, and probably in a pretty foul mood. Think about it from his perspective, "All the sudden, this lady who I idolize takes me to a strange place, filled with strange sounds and some very not nice smells (fear, pain, uncertainty,shampoo, urine, poop) and LEAVES ME!!!! Then this human who smells funny and I totally don't know makes me wet and pours stinky stuff on me and then makes me wetter, and make me stay in an OVEN!!! where warm (maybe hot!) air blows on me for a while. Then this strange human puts me up on a table with my head in a noose so I can't move around (gotta pee but I guess I'll just have to hold it!) And puts this buzzing hot MONSTER!! :eek: on me that pulls my fur and bites my skin :eek: and this mean human holds me still while this MONSTER!!:eek: tries to hurt me and maybe kill me!!! And all my fur is. . .gone!!! Eaten by the MONSTER!!! :eek: I survived the MONSTER!!!, :eek: but now I feel DIFFERENT!!!! I hate DIFFERENT!!! And I stink!":( :yuck:

Get the idea? Your dog is a creature of routine and you'd pretty much broken his routine as totally as possible. No wonder he's acting a bit strangely. Give him some extra attention for a couple of days or so and he'll snap out of it.

loveyadogs
August 21st, 2006, 12:22 PM
well he seems to be a bit better today, he is running here and there , but then will act upset again, then he gets over ....my kids are doing alot of attention with him as I am at work.Poor wee thing, I thought with himbeing used to the clippers and baths at home he would be "OK", not great but OK, that was not the case with him.We are buying proper clippers and will try to do it ourselves from now on, I feel to badly for him:sorry: