Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Engaged!!

meb999
August 16th, 2006, 04:11 PM
NIC AND I ARE ENGAGED!!

We've been together for a little over nine years now, and Nic has been patiently waiting for me to finish school before popping the question (he's been wanting to get married for awhile now) Although I'm not really done with school (I'm starting my Notary diploma next week...I'll be officially outta class in may 2007), we set the date for the month of october 2007.

I'm so excited! Nic isn't the most romantic guy in the world, and I always figured he'd ask me at some obvious time (like Christmas or something), but he was actually EXTREMELY romantic. We were in Kinney Shores Beach last week, and after we went for a very romantic (and expensive) dinner, we went for an evening walk on the beach. It was a full moon, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we were all alone on the beach. I looked up and saw a shooting star, and when I looked down, there was Nic on one knee!!!
VERY ROMANTIC!!

I'm excited, but a little overwhealmed at the same time. Nic is italian. So we have to have the BIG italian wedding.

We thought that by getting engaged now we could start planning the wedding in May (when I'm out of school), but everyone is telling us that we have to go and get our reception hall NOW, and book our Church NOW (and I'm not baptised, so that'll be complicated!) AHHHHHHHHHHH :yell:

I'm a little freaked out, but it's a good freaked out!

Prin
August 16th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Congrats! I'm so happy for you. Yes, you do have to start booking now. The good places get snatched up quick.

I know a good place but it only has an 80 person capacity...

Rick C
August 16th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Congratulations. :thumbs up

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Skryker
August 16th, 2006, 04:58 PM
http://cybergifs.com/fireworks/Ifireworks.gifhttp://cybergifs.com/fireworks/Ifireworks3.gif

Congrats!

rainbow
August 16th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Congratulations !!!

http://bestsmileys.com/wedding/5.gif

technodoll
August 16th, 2006, 05:45 PM
woowoowowwow!

congratulations!

:party: :crazy: :party:

jiorji
August 16th, 2006, 06:02 PM
awwwwwwwwww..........that's so cute *tear*

will the doggies be part of the wedding?:love:

meb999
August 16th, 2006, 06:26 PM
will the doggies be part of the wedding?:love:

there's just one doggy...and I'm hoping :fingerscr he can be a part of it

LibbyP
August 16th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Congrats, October is a wonderful time of year, weather can be alittle crazy then, we had snow on the 16th in 04'. Yes like everyone said already start to 'book' your major items now, have fun and enjoy yourself the day comes upon you so quick, and then its over before you know it, sit back relax and take a deep breath:highfive:

Frenchy
August 16th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Italian weddings,the only ones I like to go to! (hint hint) Lots of food..... congratulations to you and future hubby! :love:

poodletalk
August 16th, 2006, 07:57 PM
Congratulations MEB!

Yes, you must book now! when my brother in law got engaged two years ago, (both groom and bride are Italian) the following day after he proposed to her bride they went out and booked the church and reception hall.

jesse's mommy
August 16th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Congrats! So, what does the bling bling look like?

meb999
August 16th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Congrats! So, what does the bling bling look like?
poor Nic got REALLY confused when he went shopping for engagement rings. He had NO idea what I would like (I don't wear much jewellery). So I'm picking out my own ring. We've actually just ordered it from a gemologist. It looks like this (except with smaller diamonds!! --- I don't see the point in wearing a few months worth of mortgage payments on my finger!)

meb999
August 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Congratulations MEB!

Yes, you must book now! when my brother in law got engaged two years ago, (both groom and bride are Italian) the following day after he proposed to her bride they went out and booked the church and reception hall.

If anyone has good recomendations for reception halls in Montreal (preferably in St-Leonard -- his family lives there so it would be simpler) please feel free to post them here (or pm me, if posting them is against the rules).

Also, I'm wondering about churches. Are there any sorta lax catholic churches? We've been living together for 4 years, and I'm sure alot of priests won't like that. Plus I'm not baptised (but am willing to do it)

poodletalk
August 16th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Go to the RITZ in St.Leonard, beautiful!

I don't know about relax catholic churches but you go check out the church in Little Italy, it's the Mussolini church. You feel like your at the Vatican, the ceiling is all hand panted. GORGEOUS!

BoxerRescueMTL
August 16th, 2006, 08:49 PM
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my!!! Aaaahhhh! I'm so happy for you guys!

erykah1310
August 16th, 2006, 08:55 PM
Congratulations!!!!!!!

Im soo happy for you. Hope you will share some of the planning with us.

and its a beautiful ring...I agree with you that thre is no need to have a rediculously expensive one!

Prin
August 16th, 2006, 10:25 PM
The one I know is in Mont Saint Hilaire (the one with 80 people max). It's a nature reserve owned by McGill... It's really nice though- remember these pics?
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_0857.jpg
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h213/Princi9009/Alyssa%20wedding/IMG_0832.jpg
And it's not too expensive either.

Most of the people I know who got married this summer got married with the United Church. They're way more liberal and understanding...;)

Cinnabear
August 17th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Wow nine years. Congrats.:cloud9: :love:

LibbyP
August 17th, 2006, 06:09 AM
There's noting wrong with 9 yrs:) , it seems to be the magic number I think,:shrug: and your bling-bling is stunning, Past,Present,Future just like your lives. :cloud9:

Sunkist/Winnie
August 17th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Congratulations...and enjoy being ENGAGED. Engagement period slips by so quick with all the planning.

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Congratulations...and enjoy being ENGAGED. Engagement period slips by so quick with all the planning.
Oh, yeah... The stress builds up and builds up until the day is over.:eek: It helps if you don't have too many moms around "helping".:D

AliSam
August 17th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Congratulations. It will feel weird calling him "my fiance" rather then "my boyfriend". It took me a bit to get used to that.

jawert1
August 17th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Congrats Marie-Eve!

meb999
August 17th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Congratulations. It will feel weird calling him "my fiance" rather then "my boyfriend". It took me a bit to get used to that.

Nic's brother called us last night to congratulate us. When I spoke to him on the phone he said 'just called to speak to my futur sister in law' --- that felt weird (don't get me wrong, I adore his family...but after nine years of them being 'my bf family' it's starnge to call them my 'in laws').
I think it'll all feel a little more 'real' when I start wearing the ring.

thanks for all the good wishes everyone!! :grouphug:

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Did you buy the ring already or do you just know what you want?

cpietra16
August 17th, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'm Italian and when I got married (to a non Italian, and not catholic...whole other story:D ) I came home to Montreal and got married in Old Montreal at the Notre Dame Cathedral and celebrated at Salla Amience (not sure spelling)in St. Leonard...The food was great, service great and cheaper than most places..and if you pay cash...they take out a whole bunch of money off your bill:D
Congrats on your upcoming nuptials

meb999
August 17th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Did you buy the ring already or do you just know what you want?

Yeah we bought it, I get it sometime next week.
The jewelers thought we were a strange couple. Usually when shopping for rings, the girl wants a high quality diamond and a big one too, and the guy wants it to be as cheap as possible. We were the opposite. I kept trying to convince him to buy me a cubic zirconia (who's gonna be able to tell the difference??), and he flat out refused....so we got a real diamond ring. If anyone is shopping for jewellery, pm me. I have the name of an AWESOME gemologist who sells to Birks (and other jewellery stores). So you basically get the price that Birks bought the ring for. It was less then 1/2 price. I love a good deal!!

Prin
August 17th, 2006, 06:11 PM
oh... ok... I was gonna suggest my jeweler... he's not a birks guy (as far as I know) but he makes the tiniest sparkliest diamonds... Even if the quality isn't the best (so the prices are good) they sparkle like crazy. And their customer service is great!:)

jesse's mommy
August 17th, 2006, 07:44 PM
If anyone has good recomendations for reception halls in Montreal (preferably in St-Leonard -- his family lives there so it would be simpler) please feel free to post them here (or pm me, if posting them is against the rules).

Also, I'm wondering about churches. Are there any sorta lax catholic churches? We've been living together for 4 years, and I'm sure alot of priests won't like that. Plus I'm not baptised (but am willing to do it)

I say skip the wedding -- too stressful -- and either fly to an island and get married on a beach or fly to Vegas and get married by Elvis! :crazy:

badger
August 17th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I'm pretty sure if you are sincere and talk to a Catholic priest about your situation, you would have no trouble being married in a church. Some of them require attendance at 'marriage classes' beforehand, but even with the Catholic context, much of what they present is quite 'modern' and useful (conflict resolution, etc.)

Congrats!

LibbyP
August 17th, 2006, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=meb999]Nic's brother called us last night to congratulate us. When I spoke to him on the phone he said 'just called to speak to my future sister in law' --- that felt weird (don't get me wrong, I adore his family...but after nine years of them being 'my bf family' it's starnge to call them my 'in laws').
I think it'll all feel a little more 'real' when I start wearing the ring.

I does take some time getting used to (also together for 9yrs) and I found it quite odd to call him 'my fiance' instead of bf. Oh and I think it's a 9yr thing with the bigger ring

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/party/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gifCONGRATULATIONS!!!http://bestsmileys.com/clapping/2.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/party/2.gif

Puppyluv
August 17th, 2006, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure if you are sincere and talk to a Catholic priest about your situation, you would have no trouble being married in a church. Some of them require attendance at 'marriage classes' beforehand, but even with the Catholic context, much of what they present is quite 'modern' and useful (conflict resolution, etc.)

Congrats!

Not always, my parents couldn't get married in a catholic church unless 1) both my mom (catholic) and my dad (not) got (re)baptised and my dad went through first communion, reconcilliation and confirmation. Yes that was 28 years ago, but the same thing happened to my cousin two years ago.

phoenix
August 17th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Hi, sorry to be late,

CONGRATULATIONS!

About the Catholic church... we were married almost 2 years ago in the Church,... my sister is getting married next month also, and we aren't big church goers... you do have to do the marriage course first, just go and speak to the priest. You don't have to announce that you live together or anything. Mostly the questions they ask are ... have you been married before? Are you still married to someone out there and are hiding it (ok, if you were, why would you suddenly cough up the truth at this point????!) and if you want kids. I know of MANY couples actually who were told they wouldn't marry them because they did not intend to have kids. !!

Good luck with all of the plans :love: and your fiance did well... very romantic.

papillonmama
August 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM
:sorry: <-- (always the late one to the party)

CONGRATULATIONS on your engagement, that's so awesome!

I like the proposal story, so sweet. Good luck. :thumbs up

meb999
August 20th, 2006, 07:04 PM
:o Thanks everyone! You guys are so nice!