Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Audrie's getting spayed today..and I'm FREAKING OUT!

LianneCatherine
August 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I guess because all of my kitties came to me already fixed, this issue of surgery is making me freak out. I made the split decision to have her spayed before she goes into heat, to avoid complications for her later...and I'm fine with the decision, I just don't want anything to happen to her. I have one more hour before I'm "allowed" to call the vet to check on her, although I want to call every hour on the hour!!

I feel horrible. She was SO excited when we got in the car, and being such a good little girl. :sad: Little did she know Mommy was dropping her off at the evil place to be scarred for life!

I was hoping the vet would sit down with us and go over the procedure, but I guess since it's so common, they figured I already knew. I don't really know too much (except what I've read online), and I'm hoping for the "low-down" when I go pick her up. SIGH!! Poor baby, I just feel terrible.

Please pray that she made it out okay!! :pray:

jessi76
August 16th, 2006, 02:56 PM
of COURSE we'll pray for lil' audrie! but don't feel bad, you made the RIGHT and RESPONSIBLE decision! she won't be scarred for life. pamper her when she comes home and she'll forget all about it.

I was a nervous WRECK leaving my dog for his neuter. our pets ARE our babies, and I called the split second I was "allowed" to. They assured me everything went routine, he was great, resting comfortably, and I could get him the next day. That night, the vet called. and as you can imagine, I flipped out thinking something went wrong... no, just the opposite - Tucker was awake, alert, and doing his basenji-yodel in the kennel. I was asked to come get him that same evening since he seemed to be just fine! and he was... got home, settled him down, and the next day it was like nothing.

Granted a neuter is MUCH less invasive than a spay, but still, they are both routine procedures, and if you have vet that you trust, you should have nothing to worry about.

did you get miss audrie some special stuff for when she returns home? maybe a new bone to chew on? quiet things are best, since she'll need to rest for a while. I got my dog some stuffed bones & hooves to occupy him, and he LOVED them! He happily layed still and chewed.

LianneCatherine
August 16th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for your response Jessi -- I'm glad I'm not the only psycho around here :D ! haha

Anyway, I called and they said she is all ready to be picked up. They had to pull 4 of her teeth as well because she never lost some of her babies and the permanent teeth grew on top of them. So she will be all kinds of sore, poor thing!

I plan to finish some work here and then head home to get her. Wish us luck on a full recovery! :fingerscr

PS. I'm not sure what she'll be able to eat with the tooth extraction, but I'll pamper her as much as I can!

jessi76
August 16th, 2006, 03:11 PM
well since new bones or chew things are probably out of the question, just give Audrie a few soft pats for me. I hope she recovers quickly! you'll have to post some new pics of her as soon as she's back to her usual self. :)

Prin
August 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
She could always have some Merrick canned food as a treat...:D

I'm glad she's ok.:)

rainbow
August 16th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Glad little Audrie came through her surgery OK.... and hope you're OK now too. :D

LianneCatherine
August 16th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Little Audrie is home at last, and doing fine--thank you so much for the kind responses. It's nice to hear from others who have gone through the same thing!

The vet didn't give us an elizabethan collar for her, but she's been licking her tummy ever since we got home. :eek: I'm not sure how to get her to stop that! Also, I thought it would be a small incision, but it's almost the full length of her belly!!!! :confused: Is that normal? Is she going to have a huge scar now?

She's very lethargic and just looks pitiful, but I'm so glad she's back.
I'll keep everyone up-to-date on her recovery...I hope it goes quickly! Jessi, I will definitely post some new pictures soon, I've been slacking in that department lately. :)

Prin
August 16th, 2006, 07:11 PM
She's tiny, isn't she? How many inches long is the incision? Usually it's one or two inches long...

You might have to correct the licking with a leash. You really have to do something or she'll lick out her stitches.:eek:

LianneCatherine
August 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Yes she's tiny, about 6lbs. The incision looks to be 3-4 inches..and the stitches are metal! Wild!

Anyway she's been very perky lately, back to her old self! I'm happy that she's feeling better. I want to keep her "quiet" but she's a little bouncy thing and doesn't want to rest! :dog:

I've been feeding her wet food (her favorite) due to the teeth being pulled- how long do you think I should keep her on the wet? I don't want to make her fat or give her tooth problems.

Puppyluv
August 18th, 2006, 12:21 PM
Yes she's tiny, about 6lbs. The incision looks to be 3-4 inches..and the stitches are metal! Wild!

When Layla got hit by a bike and had to have her leg stitched up, they used metal sutures. She got them removed in Calgary, and my parents' vet couldn't believe it. He said he hadn't seen them used since he worked in the boonies of northern Manitoba.

They will prevent her from licking the wound, and they can increase the strength of the wound, but they can also tear, and you have to get them removed which can be annoying.

Glad to hear she's back ot herself!

jessi76
August 18th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Anyway she's been very perky lately, back to her old self! I'm happy that she's feeling better. I want to keep her "quiet" but she's a little bouncy thing and doesn't want to rest! :dog:

I've been feeding her wet food (her favorite) due to the teeth being pulled- how long do you think I should keep her on the wet? I don't want to make her fat or give her tooth problems.

did your vet suggest when to reintroduce dry food? you can also wet the dry food, let it soak until it's soft, instead of just feeding canned. Also, if you're feeding a high quality canned instead of dry while she recoops, I don't think she'll get "fat".

you can put her wet food, or mooshy dry food inside a kong to help keep her quiet. (or use other soft foods, i.e. pb, non-fat plain yogurt, etc) will she lay quietly and lick at it?

glad to hear she's recovering well!

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Yeah a lot of them are using stables now. It's the new in thing. :D

That's a pretty long scar though. Maybe they had some sort of complication (i.e. couldn't find her uterus).

jiorji
August 18th, 2006, 03:26 PM
when my kitty got spayed they used inner stitching, and vet said "keep her still for a few days". SHe's a KITTEN, no kittens sits still! The very night she got back home she was ready to jump on furniture haha

So i understand what you mean LianneCatherine ;) those young'uns are hard to keep still, but if she's ready to bounce off the walls already it means she's not in pain so that's good :thumbs up

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Yeah a lot of them are using stables now. It's the new in thing.

Really?? I've never heard of putting them in a stable. :D

When one of my last huskies had his intestinal tumour removed in 2002 they used the staples. But when I got both my dogs neutered last year they used ordinary stitches. Same vet too. I know she told me at the time why she used the staples but I was still coming to terms with my baby having cancer that I can't remember what the reason was. :o

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 05:09 PM
omg the ONE mistake I ever make and you go and quote me and make fun of me!? Ok, ok, I deserve it.:D

chico2
August 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Prin,I got a chuckle of the"stable"thing too,pictured all these spayed animals in the stable:dog:

Prin
August 18th, 2006, 05:19 PM
All the hay and things mucking up their incisions... :eek: I should hope not!:fingerscr

dogmelissa
August 18th, 2006, 06:03 PM
If her teeth were only pulled because they were babies that hadn't fallen out yet, they probably didn't cause her too much pain. You can try mixing dry food in with the wet; or just offer both. If she eats the dry food, her mouth obviously isn't sore. I know it sounds mean, but if you only offer canned food, she could learn to be picky about eating and refuse to eat anything that's not soft, squishy and full of water, which will, in the long run, end up requiring her to have dental cleanings ($$$) or extractions ($$$$$ and OUCH!).

Did the vet give you any cream to put around the incision to keep her from licking it? If not, and she's still licking at it, you can ask for stuff called Varitone. It tastes really nasty and can be a very good deterrent for all but the most stubborn of animals. When I worked at the Humane Society, this was applied to them by default. If she's still going at it, ask for a cone.

The size of the incision will be fairly similar for all dogs (depending on the vet, of course), but it may look significantly longer on a smaller dog. Don't worry about scarring; there will be a scar, but hair will grow back around it and you won't be able to see it (unless she has a naturally hairless or short-haired belly). Seeing a scar is actually a good thing; at the shelter animals were spared surgery if we could see a scar at the time of their admission (or adoption). If the scar heals too well, and no one can tell if the dog (or cat) has been spayed, the vets would operate "just in case" (though I only saw this happen once while I was there, and the dog turned out to have *not* been spayed, so it was likely an injury that caused what looked like a spay scar).

I'm sure she's fine now and will continue to recover. Hope it's not too horrible to have her staples out; I didn't know they did staples on animals!

Good luck and thanks for having her spayed!
Melissa

rainbow
August 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
omg the ONE mistake I ever make and you go and quote me and make fun of me!? Ok, ok, I deserve it.:D

I know just how you feel. :D :D :D

LianneCatherine
August 22nd, 2006, 01:57 PM
Thank you everyone for the tips! I will definitely not get her used to having the wet food all the time. She's picky enough as it is, those little yorkies think they are the Queen Mary or something! ha

We had kind of a scare over the weekend, I was almost out of the pain medicine they had given me..and she was still shaking and not wanting to come out of her crate. Not only that, but when she did come out, she would run in short frantic bursts, and then hide under something. Poor dear must have been in a lot of pain. :sad: So I had my vet fax the prescription to a vet near where I was (at my bf's house), and I took her in that day to pick it up.

While I was there, I asked if someone could take a quick look at her incision to make sure everything was okay, and the vet tech came back out and said "um..the doctor wants to take a better look at her as an emergency visit (since I didn't have an appointment) because her stitches look very loose." So, I really freaked out. We went back into one of the rooms and the vet came in and said "well, the stitches actually look okay, just make sure she's not licking the area. What I am worried about is this rash over here." Audrie had been scratching an area near her incision, and I thought she might just be irritated from the spay. The vet said it looked like clipper burn from where they shaved her that turned into an infection. Soooo, they put her on antibiotics and a skin treatment for the rash, and gave me more pain medicine as well.

The vet also mentioned that they never do the stitches on the outside at their clinic, because it is more irritating to the animals that way. She said they do the sutures on the inside instead. However she said it wasn't "wrong" that they did it this way. I really love this vet--much better than I like the one I usually go to. I'd really like to switch, but they are only close to my bf's house, not mine. I wish my vet was as caring and as professional. I can't get over how good they are. I am planning to move soon, so hopefully I can switch over easily. They only charged me $60 for everything! An emergency visit alone at MY vet would have been $100, without any of the medicine!!! :eek:

So, anyway, she's doing okay now. Back to her normal crazy self. :D

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM
The vet also mentioned that they never do the stitches on the outside at their clinic, because it is more irritating to the animals that way. She said they do the sutures on the inside instead. I don't get what that means... Normally they suture the inside layer of the abdominal wall and then they either stitch or staple the outside. Some vets leave the stitches a bit loose to accommodate swelling right after the spay. I don't get what they mean by suturing from the inside.:confused:

LianneCatherine
August 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't get what that means... Normally they suture the inside layer of the abdominal wall and then they either stitch or staple the outside. Some vets leave the stitches a bit loose to accommodate swelling right after the spay. I don't get what they mean by suturing from the inside.:confused:

I think I misspoke, she probably said stitches on the inside--and the ones that dissolve, rather than those that need to be removed. Sorry!

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
k... But if the outside ones dissolve, wouldn't they dissolve quicker if she's licking them all the time?:crazy:

LianneCatherine
August 22nd, 2006, 02:49 PM
k... But if the outside ones dissolve, wouldn't they dissolve quicker if she's licking them all the time?:crazy:

The idea I think is that the ones on the inside aren't as irritating, so the animal doesn't lick the area at all. But I don't know, she had them on the outside. :shrug:

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM
Yeah, but she should have had two sets. One on the inside (dissolvable) and one on the outside. The outside ones are usually not dissolvable ones. That way, they make you come back in 10 days to have them removed and they can make sure everything healed up nicely.

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 06:09 PM
I thought she had the dissolvable ones on the inside and the staples on the outside. :confused:

jiorji
August 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but she should have had two sets. One on the inside (dissolvable) and one on the outside. The outside ones are usually not dissolvable ones. That way, they make you come back in 10 days to have them removed and they can make sure everything healed up nicely.

I'm not thread jacking but,

Prin, but my kitties only got stitches on the inside. I didn't have to go back to get anything removed from the outside, so it's not impossible to only have one set on the inside.
Unless they do it differently for dogs.....?

Puppyluv
August 22nd, 2006, 07:04 PM
I thought she had the dissolvable ones on the inside and the staples on the outside. :confused:

She had dissolvable on the inside and metal sutures on the outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin

I'm not thread jacking but,

Prin, but my kitties only got stitches on the inside. I didn't have to go back to get anything removed from the outside, so it's not impossible to only have one set on the inside.
Unless they do it differently for dogs.....?

When Lay was spayed, she had disolvable on the inside and the outside was glued shut, so I didn't have to go back to get th m removed, just go back for a check up later if there were problems.

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 07:06 PM
Still :offtopic: Are your kitties males?

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
I thought she had the dissolvable ones on the inside and the staples on the outside.

She had dissolvable on the inside and metal sutures on the outside.

Aren't metal sutures and staples the same thing?

Puppyluv
August 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
Jiorji's kitties are girlies (if you were referring to her)

jiorji
August 22nd, 2006, 07:35 PM

was this for me??
they're female and just like Puppy's Layla they got inside stitches and glued shut

I'm starting to think that vets in Canada have different ways of closing up surgery wounds than the ones from US, which is where LianneCatherine is.

rainbow
August 22nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
I wasn't aware that they glued shut incisions now so couldn't figure out how they spayed your kitties. I've only seen regular sutures and staples used. :p

Prin
August 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
When Lay was spayed, she had disolvable on the inside and the outside was glued shut, so I didn't have to go back to get th m removed, just go back for a check up later if there were problems.Ahh, so you think that's what they mean by only internal sutures?

The little pups I borrowed were stapled shut. The staples were definitely not loose though.

Puppyluv
August 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Ahh, so you think that's what they mean by only internal sutures?

The little pups I borrowed were stapled shut. The staples were definitely not loose though.

I think so, because if they truly meant "only inernal sutures" then they would have a gaping hole:eek:

I've met a couple of vets who glue, it reduces scarring (they had to use it on my leg when I fell rock climbing, had an open fracture and had to have leg surgery, and the scar is waaaay smaller than it would be otherwise)

dogmelissa
August 23rd, 2006, 07:18 PM
Ok folks.. I did surgery prep, assistance and after-care for nearly 3 years at the Humane Society here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I saw up to 15 spay/neuter operations a day, and a few other types of surgeries as well.

Here's how the vets at the shelter did it:

Male cat neuter; small cats (kittens) generally didn't receive any sutures, and often the incision just stuck together on it's own. Sometimes they were glued if they were a little "dry" or sutured if there was bleeding. Big cats usually received 3-4 dissolvable stitches on each side of the scrotum.

Male dog neuter; One incision only, and depending on the size of the dog (ie the size of the testicles), there was anywhere from 4-20 dissolvable stitches. Very few cases required more.

Cat & dog neuter; one incision, and number of dissolvable stitches was dependent on the size of the animal, size of incision made and the amount of bleeding (some animals have more blood vessles in the skin than others).

If you're not squeamish, here is a good website with some videos on "junior" surgeries (ie, the first surgeries vets learn). http://cvm.msu.edu/courses/vm557/surgery/index.html (this does not work in Firefox if you use it as a browser)

If you don't want to watch the ones on the actual surgeries, you can watch the one entitled "Subcuticular Pattern: Abdominal Surgery" (or the foam-demo is done on a foam block!). What's interesting about this particular video is it shows the technique that all the vets I saw doing surgery used for their sutures. On the surface of the skin, you could barely see the stitches, if at all. All were done with a dissolvable suture material (different brand than in the videos but same concept), and none needed to be removed. Sometimes if a stitch didn't catch as much flesh as needed, or on the last stitch (where the video shows a little hole left open), they would apply glue to make sure the skin stuck together.
I've never seen a vet use staples, nor have I ever seen a spay or neuter that used the "interupted" pattern of stitching which is common on people. (See the section at the end, Suture Patterns, for more.) I don't want to speak for all the vets in Canada, but since there are only 3 (soon to be 4) veterinary colleges in the country, I'm pretty sure that they teach the same methods for doing surgeries. Though I can't remember if all the vets I worked with (3 regularly, 3 others came in occasionally) all went to college in Canada, they all did sutures the same way.

I can't speak for why your vet used staples, but I think it'd be especially difficult for a small dog to cope with staples, as they could be deep enough to be rubbing on the incision through the muscle wall or simply be uncomfortable to remove.

Regardless of how far away a vet is, if you like them, they're worth the drive. I drive almost 30km (one way), across the city, through traffic, construction and in bad weather (they go for their yearly in December!) to take my 3 cats and 1 dog to a vet who charges more than ones close by my house, but who I love. She was one of the vets who I worked with at the Humane Society, is the reason I have the first cat I got (and because of the first, the second cat), and took my dog home with her the very first time he came to her clinic (when he'd first been injured), so that her and her veterinary husband could discuss him--and so her 6 children could take care of him. She is fantastic, and it is 100% worth the extra money (time, vet bills) to go to her. If you like the vet near your bf, then switch. Have the new vet call the old vet to get the records faxed over. Chances are you're going to be at your bf's anyways, or be on your way there, when you go for your vet appointments anyhow!

Sorry about the length of this and I hope that your little baby is healing well and getting back on her little feet. :fingerscr

Melissa

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 09:28 PM
Great, now I'm watching surgeries all night. :rolleyes:

The kitty spay was a little shocking though...

dogmelissa
August 23rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Great, now I'm watching surgeries all night. :rolleyes:

The kitty spay was a little shocking though...

What, like you weren't glued to the TV when TLC used to have that series called "The Operation"???? I managed to convince my bf (at the time) to turn it on when it was a vasectomy! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

The first time you see any of those surgeries, it's pretty disturbing. I haven't watched them all. I'm thankful they don't have one of entropian surgery up there; I had to leave the room while that surgery was happening, it totally freaked me out and I got naseous and almost fainted. But yeah, viewer discretion is advised--though some kids may think it's really cool to see what's going to happen to their dog or cat. :)

Melissa

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 10:11 PM
I don't get TLC.. :( But I did get "Access" from Alberta and they had Animal ER that I watched regularly.:) Yey surgery!

I didn't have to leave the room for the surgeries. I loved them. So interesting.

dogmelissa
August 23rd, 2006, 10:17 PM
Yey surgery, exactly. :)
The only surgery I had to leave for was the entropian; where the eye lashes turn in and rub on the eye ball. I've always had this *thing* about eyes... they're the only organ in my body I refuse to donate, and something about seeing the dog's eyes get messed with (even if it was just his lids) just freaked me out. I was mentally interested in it, just had a physical reaction.
But I can also understand how *any* surgery would freak a person out to watch, which is why I suggested they watch the "foam block" demo instead. The "suture type" one might also be safe, but I didn't watch it to find out.

Enjoy your surgery-filled evening, Prin!
Melissa

Prin
August 23rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
Oh, yeah, eyes... They bug me too. Everything else I'm ok with. Oh and I can't tolerate things happening to my loved ones. Like I've seen surgeries on cats and dogs and everything was fine, but when Boo got jabbed by a piece of grass, I almost passed out. And when Jemma got cut by glass, same thing.

rainbow
August 23rd, 2006, 10:28 PM
It's easy to watch stuff on TV but, when it's in real life and your baby, that's a different story. ;)

LianneCatherine
August 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Wow! Okay. Sorry I've been MIA, I was out of town for the weekend. Everything is going fine with Audrie, she hasn't gotten her stitches out, but we have an appointment tomorrow. This will be the last and final appointment I have with my current vet. Over the weekend she had some intestinal "issues" so I called to see if the vet had any recommendations. However, since I went to another vet to get antibiotics (for clipper burn CAUSED BY MY VET), they refused to give me any information. :yell: To boot, they were really rude to me.
I wish I hadn't had her spayed there... but I guess it's too late now.

I couldn't believe it!! These people have been so-so up to this point, but after seeing how GOOD the vet is by my bf's place, I will never go back. I've had it with people who clearly do not care about the pets in their care.

Anyway about the incision/staples/sutures/stitches, etc. She has internal and external stitches. The external are metal, and will have to be removed tomorrow. The internal ones will dissolve. I realize they may do it different vet-to-vet, and country-to-country.

Prin
August 28th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Wow, that's really horrible that they won't treat your dog if another vet touched it. Shame on them.

I always say, if you don't trust your vet for a minute, run in the opposite direction screaming with your arms flailing in the air.:D