Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Obedience in london On

~michelle~
August 15th, 2006, 08:23 PM
hi i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a reputable and reasonable trainer in london, ON. I was looking at the classes at petsmart or petcetera. but those are really the only ones ive seen so far (i just started looking) i definatley want a class not one on one. Logan definately needs a class so he can start being more focused when there are destractions around. Also since i need to bring both him and braxton to classes i was wondering if my boyfriend and i should bring the both together or should we do the dogs separately?
thanks guys I know im full of questions :) :D

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 09:10 PM
I can't help you with a recommendation as I live in B.C. but glad to hear Logan is going to go to school. :thumbs up

When you find a trainer, I would tell her your situation with Logan and Braxton and ask him/her whether they should come together or apart. I'm leaning towards together but I'm far from an expert. :D

Angies Man
August 16th, 2006, 02:16 AM
Take them both to the classes (together.) Or take only one of them and shadow train the other (saves a few dollars, but you don't get the benefit of the instructor's experience.) Be sure that you both do practice sessions with both dogs, and feel free to take them out to public places to practice. Here in Reno, pets are allowed in the Petsmart and Petco stores--where there are interesting smells, other animals, and lots of people. Also Lowes and Home Depot allow dogs on leashes. All the people and noise make home centers a wonderful place to practice heel & sit.

Outdoor shopping malls are also interesting places for dogs--you want to train your dog to follow instructions, but a rich training environment teaches them to be good, confident citizens and increases the fun level for both you and your dog.

The best experience I had with classes was a community education class in Pullman, WA. Trained my big goofy Great Dane with all the little Shih Tzus, Eeekapoos, Coocoo Spaniels, etc. The instructor did a class in agility training, too. Ever seen a Great Dane run agility? Really not to be missed!

I train my own puppies, I've been through obedience training several times and don't need the reinforcement from instructors. My last instructor was so harsh! (he did Schutzhund training on G. Shepards) He had me use a pinch collar on my last Std. Poodle:eek: , I'm going to to do it with no special collar this time, I think.:D

LibbyP
August 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Hi ~michelle~ you can pm me if you are wanting more information on a trainer here in the city, she writes for a animal column in 'The Londoner', Yvette, she's really good.