Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

husky cross being too playful/dominate

~michelle~
August 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
hello again yet another question :) my newer 8mos old husky/shepard cross has been giving my very doscile brittany cross quite a bit of hassel. We introduced them before we took logan (the husky) home and they got along great. however since we've gotten them home logan has been very playful yet dominate towards braxton. he is constantly humping him (they are both fixed males) not quite biting on him but rubbing his teeth and getting saliva all over him and playing far too rough. This on its own is not too much of a problem, except for the fact that braxton (brittany cross) is sooo submissive and docile he wont even yelp if he's in pain he just cowards in the corner with his tail between his leg. he has becomed stressed out and depressed, he has his hair thinning, and isnt happy until they are out on leashes or if logan isnt around.
is there any tips on how i can help facilitate a more peaceful and enjoyable environment for all of us?
my cat will show logans whos boss and he responds well to that. so atleast thats not too much to worry about.

erykah1310
August 15th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Seeing as though he is only 8 monts old, this sounds quite normal to me, however if you other dog is terrified of him, try tuckering him out alone, just you and him.
Perhaps then he will be more likely to sleep or relax around braxton.
Good luck and sorry i dont have any better advice

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
An 8 month old husky (also Logan :p ) needs alot of exercise and stimulation. They also need to run but can have a problem off leash and answering when you call so be careful.

My 19 month old husky and 13 month old lab (both M/N) play very rough together. I always had to supervise playtime until the lab was about 8 to 9 months old.

Have you taken Logan to obedience classes yet? :dog: :pawprint:

~michelle~
August 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
thank you very much.... i figured it was prob an age thing. but if anyone else has any more ideas throw them my way I'm willing to try anything. We have only had the husky for 2 weeks now so im hoping maybe the novelity of braxton will wear off and he'll stop bugging him so much:)

Prin
August 15th, 2006, 07:25 PM
You should be able to separate them when it gets too rough. While you do have to let the husky play, you also have to keep the brittany safe and happy too. When the brittany starts cowering and being overly submissive, you should stop the playing, IMO. When the brittany senses that you're there to protect him, he'll get more confidence, and the more you restrict the dominance of the husky, the more respect he'll have for the limits you set.

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks for explaining it better, Prin. That's what I meant by "supervise". :o

~michelle~
August 15th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys thats pretty much what we have been trying to do. so I guess it will just take some more time for them to adjust. but thanks for the advice :) I think that it will just take braxton a little more time to adjust to, he did have a pretty rough life before he came to us so ithink his adjustment period is a little longer

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Good luck :fingerscr and keep us posted. You'll probably notice a big difference once they go to school. :dog: :pawprint: