Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

workplace Sick Day Rant!!!!!!!!!!

SarahLynn123
August 15th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Apparently in Alberta your workplace is not obligated to allow you sick days. My employer has come up with the rule that no matter how sick you are, you need to come in, then they will decide whether you can go home with pay or not. If you call in, you may have to use a vacation day. Its up to the manager.

I work in an office with 50+ people here or more at times. Last year it was pink eye that everyone got. With the coffee machine, fax machines and copiers, and all the other machines that everyone uses, you can probably guess how fast this spreads.

This year it's the mumps. Someone was here all last week with the mumps (he didn't know thats what it was) then came in monday knowing what he had but, because of the policies, he came in anyway (he was sent home). Im not to worried because Ive been vaccinated, but my boyfriend has never been and many others here have not been either. Also if you are sick for more then a couple days and they agree to pay for the first two, you have to take out short term disability for the remainder.

Im so glad I decided to make a career change and head back to school, this place drives me nuts.

Prin
August 15th, 2006, 04:22 PM
That's so stupid- but don't expect better from schools either. Nobody who wants good grades takes sick days either, so everybody is sick all the time.:rolleyes:

SarahLynn123
August 15th, 2006, 04:26 PM
That's so stupid- but don't expect better from schools either. Nobody who wants good grades takes sick days either, so everybody is sick all the time.:rolleyes:

I expect that people would come to school sick, I was there last year and all you hear in class is sniffles, they wont even leave to get a kleenex:rolleyes: I expect more from a workplace though, especially in Calgary where there is help wanted signs everywhere! They should really try doing things to keep employees rather then push them out!

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
I've also heard that WCB is a joke in Alberta as well.

Rick C
August 15th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Apparently in Alberta your workplace is not obligated to allow you sick days. .

Isn't that fairly normal?

I'm looking under the "emergency leave" category at the link below and "sick days" are mentioned in only four of, I think, 14 jurisdictions.

http://www.workplace.ca/laws/employ_standard_comp.html

Having made that observation, as to the policy of your employer, I would agree with yourself that its a poor idea to have genuinely sick people hanging around . . . . I tell my assistants to get lost because I certainly don't want to catch what they periodically catch.

I think an employer loses more by keeping genuinely sick employees around than they would keeping that one person out of the office for a few days.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

SarahLynn123
August 15th, 2006, 05:52 PM
I think an employer loses more by keeping genuinely sick employees around than they would keeping that one person out of the office for a few days.

www.goldentales.ca

I completly agree with you! When Im sick I probably do 20% of what I would when Im not. I hate being sick, so even a cold puts me in a bad mood!

I do see the other side though, of people taking advantage of sick days, but the mumps and pink eye???? Go back to bed!

Rainbow: I have never used or know of anyone that used the WCB, but it probably is a joke.

Prin
August 15th, 2006, 07:09 PM
My last job had 10 paid sick days and if you took more than that, it was ok as long as you had a note from the doctor.:) If you didn't take them, at the end of the year they were just erased from your record...:rolleyes:

jesse's mommy
August 15th, 2006, 07:29 PM
I have 10 sick days and they get erased if they aren't used, but unfortunately in sales it does not benefit us to use them. We would just have to double up the next day (unless you can talk the boss into coming out and doing your work :evil: ).

Bushfire2000
August 15th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I can have all the sick days I want as long as I don't want to be paid for them and don't mind not having a job to come back to.

Sick days are not even the worst of my job. Since we're ranting.

We work long hours and labour standerds says they have to give you a fifteen min. break if you work five hours but they don't have to pay you for it. So I rutinely work 10 to 14 hours with one fifteen min. break. They pay a man $30.00 more a day if he comes in to work in the office with me. And I have to do a good part of his job for him. Oh I need to quit. Too much ranting has me thinking of quitting again.

Writing4Fun
August 15th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Isn't that fairly normal?
I'd have to look it up for certain, but I thought it was law (at least in Ontario) that employers have to give a certain number of sick days and a certain number of 'family demand' days, but they don't have to be paid. :shrug:

OntarioGreys
August 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM
I'd have to look it up for certain, but I thought it was law (at least in Ontario) that employers have to give a certain number of sick days and a certain number of 'family demand' days, but they don't have to be paid. :shrug:

Ontario allows for 10 days BUT........ the act also specifies that the company can demand that you substantiate your absence and they can also decided whether your leave excuse is valid, those 2 parts of the act has become a huge issue in my workplace as the company is using the substantiation as a form of displinary after 2 days of absences, for a 6 montyh peroid and a black mark on your employee file, for example last November I had 3 days off work with a doctors note for the flu, so I was written up for my attendance, recieved atttendance counselling, and was put on notice to substantiate all further absence for the next 6 months, I also have to phone in to the plant call in center in the event of absence and I must also call my depart supervise and provide my address of where I am at the time and leave my phone number so they can check up on me additional lates. emergency leaves or sickdays extended my 6 monthjs by and another 6 months. If I do meet each and every one of the conditions it becomes grounds for termination, one mom has a child undergoing cancer treatment for cancer that has mestasized, the compnay has decided not to allow her the right to be with her child during chemo, stem cell tranplants or even surgeries, the only way she they will alow her to be with her child thru this is if a doctor provide a note saying that her son is terminal, They also denied a few people to go to their aunts or uncles funerals, they will tell you you can go to the funeral home on your own time to say your goodbyes. Though we have a union, the unions hands are tied by the wording of the act as there is no contractual language to deal with the companies attendance policy, several people who have no where near the 10 days have been fired already and will become the main issue on our next contract next year in September between that and protecting our pensions to ensure it will still be there 13 years from now when many start retired as they hit their 30 years of service, I would not be surprised if it puts us out for a long and bitter strike

It all depends on your employer on how they want to apply the act

technodoll
August 16th, 2006, 09:45 AM
holy cow :eek: we're spoiled here... nobody counts the sick days unless it's more than a few in a row, (over a week out sick, and then you need a doctor's paper for the rest and then you get like 80% of your pay, or something like that). people come and go a whatever time they please (own work schedule), same for lunches, breaks, etc... no dress code... great commissions (for the sales team, so me included)... next year i get bumped to 4 weeks vacation per year... you get 1 paid moving day per year... when you do tradeshows or overtime you can take days off as compensation but nobody really counts so it's "up to you", as long as the job gets done... i love my job :)

Rick C
August 16th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Ontario allows for 10 days BUT........ the act also specifies that the company can demand that you substantiate your absence and they can also decided whether your leave excuse is valid, those 2 parts of the act has become a huge issue in my workplace as the company is using the substantiation as a form of displinary after 2 days of absences, for a 6 montyh peroid and a black mark on your employee file, for example last November I had 3 days off work with a doctors note for the flu, so I was written up for my attendance, recieved atttendance counselling, and was put on notice to substantiate all further absence for the next 6 months, I also have to phone in to the plant call in center in the event of absence and I must also call my depart supervise and provide my address of where I am at the time and leave my phone number so they can check up on me additional lates. emergency leaves or sickdays extended my 6 monthjs by and another 6 months. If I do meet each and every one of the conditions it becomes grounds for termination, one mom has a child undergoing cancer treatment for cancer that has mestasized, the compnay has decided not to allow her the right to be with her child during chemo, stem cell tranplants or even surgeries, the only way she they will alow her to be with her child thru this is if a doctor provide a note saying that her son is terminal, They also denied a few people to go to their aunts or uncles funerals, they will tell you you can go to the funeral home on your own time to say your goodbyes. Though we have a union, the unions hands are tied by the wording of the act as there is no contractual language to deal with the companies attendance policy, several people who have no where near the 10 days have been fired already and will become the main issue on our next contract next year in September between that and protecting our pensions to ensure it will still be there 13 years from now when many start retired as they hit their 30 years of service, I would not be surprised if it puts us out for a long and bitter strike

It all depends on your employer on how they want to apply the act

Do you have a link to the Act you are referring to?

It actually sounds like you're talking about a company's internal policy and/or a contract negotiated with a union. Not doubting you . . . just wouldn't mind seeing it.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Prin
August 16th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Qc has no laws about sick leave apparently... http://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/gen/faq/maladie.asp

Rick C
August 16th, 2006, 10:50 AM
Qc has no laws about sick leave apparently... http://www.cnt.gouv.qc.ca/en/gen/faq/maladie.asp

As per my link earlier in the thread, under the heading "Emergency Leave," http://www.workplace.ca/laws/employ_standard_comp.html . . . . . only four of 14 jurisdicitions have legislation specifically mandating sick leave.

Yukon - one sick day per month

New Brunswick - five sick days per year

Newfoundland - five sick days per year

Federal Government - 12 weeks per year for sickness

In the case of Ontario, employees are entitled to 10 days, but the legislation doesn't specify whether that is for sickness, family reasons, bereavement, etc.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

OntarioGreys
August 16th, 2006, 08:35 PM
It actually sounds like you're talking about a company's internal policy and/or a contract negotiated with a union. Not doubting you . . . just wouldn't mind seeing it.

Rick C

The company formed their attendance policy around the act using their corporate lawyers, there was no negotiation between the union and the company on the matter,
The doctors in the area are furious with the company's policies especially when we are forced to use emergency services just to obtain notes to prove our absences for work especially when the area has a severe doctors shortage, around here you can't get in to see your doctor the same day, waiting times to get into a family doctore if you are lucky enough to even have one is 3 weeks, the waiting time to get a family doctor should yours quit of retire is upto 3 years so emergency departments are swamped already. These are the sections of the act the company has been using to form their ridiculous uncompassionate attendance policy

Evidence

(7) An employer may require an employee who takes leave under this section to provide evidence reasonable in the circumstances that the employee is entitled to the leave. 2000, c. 41, s. 50 (7).

And this is the one they have used with the mom with a child that has cancer to prevent her from taking time off to be with her shild for treatments and surgeries

Entitlement to leave

(2) An employee is entitled to a leave of absence without pay of up to eight weeks to provide care or support to an individual described in subsection (3) if a qualified health practitioner issues a certificate stating that the individual has a serious medical condition with a significant risk of death occurring within a period of 26 weeks or such shorter period as may be prescribed. 2004, c. 15, s. 3.

The Employment Standards Act for Ontario

http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/DBLaws/Statutes/English/00e41_e.htm