Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello to you all

lovemycats
August 15th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Hello to all of my fellow pet lovers (especially the CAT LOVERS).....this is my first time posting a message on here, so I hope I can actually do it. Well, I have 2 male cats (brothers) that are 7 yrs old. They are both indoor cats and neither of them likes the vet very much. Just wondering if anyone out there has any ideas about how to get them to calm down when they are being looked at? My one boy, Zets is a very large cat (not fat, just big like a tomcat) and he hates the vet with a passion! He growls at me and the vet. Any suggestions?

:ca: :cat:

This was posted in the wrong forum, sorry bout that.

cpietra16
August 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM
...we still want to see pictures...:D

lovemycats
August 15th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Wow! Thanks for your response, I like this. Well, I will put a pic of Domi on here, but have to figure out how to do it. I don't have one of my other baby, but will put one on later tonight.

:ca: :love:

cpietra16
August 15th, 2006, 02:41 PM
aww...cutie. Thanks. The more pictures we see the happier we'll be

lovemycats
August 15th, 2006, 02:55 PM
well, thank you....i am sure Domi will blush when he finds out he is on the net.....:o

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 03:14 PM
Cute pic....welcome to the board. :thumbs up

I don't know of many cats that like going to the vet. :D I did have one once :rip: that didn't mind. In fact, he purred when he got his temperature taken. :o

The two I have now like my vet :angel: they just don't like the ride to get there. ;)

jesse's mommy
August 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I did have one once :rip: that didn't mind. In fact, he purred when he got his temperature taken. :o

Now that's something you don't hear everyday. :eek:

Oops and welcome to the forum lovemycats. Your baby is beautiful!

jessi76
August 15th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Domi is a cutie!

I have 2 cats, and they LOVE the vet. (actually, my dog loves it too, my vet is REALLY good - they all happily get poked & prodded) my youngest one only gave me grief when she was in a carrier - as soon as I started taking her on a harness & leash, she was cool about it. (Same w/ my older cat, harness & leash - no carrier) it was the carrier that caused all the problems.

chico2
August 15th, 2006, 04:55 PM
I have three cats,they HATE the carriers,Hate the car and freeze in fear at the vet,she can do anything she wants with them,they don't move an inch.
Your vet should know how to handle a fear-aggressive cat,I am sure yours is not the only one.She's just lucky with my little cowards:D
A friend of mine gives one of her cats a sedative to calm him down,if need be.

erykah1310
August 15th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Welcome to Pets.ca first of all

My Mr.Floyd also hates the vet, however I too have found that the carrier was really the root to all of his anxiety ( that and his first trip to the vet the muffler had fallen off the car so it was REALLY loud :o )

Now when we go to the vet i get a friend to come along and hold him in the truck ( he is a cuddler) so if his ride is good he seems alot less stressed about the whole sitiation!
Good luck

Bushfire2000
August 15th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Welcome, what a sweetheart he is.

Vet whoes are a common thread here. My one dog just hates the vets too.

lovemycats
August 15th, 2006, 09:59 PM
Hi to all of you.....thank you so much for the many suggestions.....I will try to take them on a leash, but definately at separate times......not sure how they will react with dogs in the waiting room.....they are both indoor cats so this may freak them out more.....I used to take them for walks on leashes, but once I moved there are now too many other animals and I don't want anything to happen to them.......I suppose I am an overcautious mommy.....here is a picture of Domi's brother....he is my other baby that loves to cuddle and take over the bed.

Thanks so much for your responses. :thumbs up

Bushfire2000
August 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Is Domis brother missing an eye or is that just the way I'm looking at the picture?

chico2
August 16th, 2006, 06:30 AM
I would really not recommend taking a cat in the car without a carrier,even if it takes a half hour to get them in to it.
I did that once many years ago and almost ended up in an accident,also the cat ended up under the drivers-seat tangled in wires,scary stuff:eek:
I have seen some cats in cars,laying comfortably in the backwindow,maybe used to car from kitten-hood,but that's definetly not for my cats.
Even on a leash,when frightened a cat can turn in to a little demon,once the car is in motion.

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Good observation Bushfire, yes, Zets is missing an eye. He was born with his eyelids growing on the inside of his eyelid and this caused great distress to hiim and was messy. I waited until he was about 1 yr old and couldn't stand to see him in painanymore. I checked with a couple of vets to see my options to cause him the less pain. One option was to burn off each eyelash!!! Crazy!! Sounds painful to me and it was about $2000 and they could grow back. The only other sensible option was to have his eye removed. A little pain at first, then no more infection, no irritation and my kitty back to normal. Both my cats were going to be indorr cats anyways, so that is what I did. He was a real trooper too and Domi helped alot. So, the hair has grown over now and he is a much happier cat.:crazy:

:ca: :pawprint:

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Zets real cute...what a face. :D

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Thank you.......he has the most adorable face.......I wish I could brush his teeth, though cause he has bad breath.......I really want to take them both in for a cleaning, but not sure how they would react......he has the most fluffy stomach an dhe purrs when I kiss it......sheesh, I love cats so much, I wish I could have 100, but I need a farm for that....hahaha:crazy:

:D :troll:

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Cpietra, the cat beside your name is so beautiful. Is he/she yours?

dtbmnec
August 16th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Cute kitties... :)

I have two demons of my own....Pawz doesn't like the walk to the vet (there's no other way to take him since he hates the bus even more) but when he's at the vet he'll purr most of the time....Leo on the other hand will run away if he's able to....silly kitties....

Megan

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 12:13 PM
yes, lovemycats, she mine. Her name is Nickie and I got her out of the jungles of BC. Her litter mates were cougar meal, she survived. Had her since a few days old. The vet never gave her a chance, but I knw she was a fighter...and a fighter she still is...:D

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Hello CPIETRA, that is so amazing.....so you actually found her in BC? WOW, that is amazing and you rescued her. So what kind of cat is she. She has a very beautiful face. Have you any idea how old she is? Was she in bad shape when you found her?

dtbmnec, do your kitties actually walk to the vet on a leash? My boys like the leash, but only when going to play in the grass. I am afraid that they would go crazy if they ran into another animal. I have never introduced them to any other animals. :D

:pawprint: :ca:

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 02:12 PM
I actually lived and worked in BC before i came to Quebec. I helped with the catch and release program, but when I saw Nickie at only a few days old I knew I had to have her. She was only a few weeks old with eyes barely open, she fought to keep alive and I just love her for it.

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Well she is a very lucky little kitty. And she is so beautiful too. I am very happy for you and her. :D

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
well I guess I can show her off:D

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 06:29 PM
#2...here we go

lovemycats
August 16th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Wow, she is a very beautiful cat. my boys would have a crush on her for sure. :crazy:

cpietra16
August 16th, 2006, 08:13 PM
Thanks Lovemycats...problem is she knows that she's cute and your boys would be crushed real fast...she was born with an attitude:cool: