Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How Old is Grandpa?

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 05:12 PM
How old is Grandpa?

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events. The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandpa replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

television,

penicillin,

polio shots,

frozen foods,

Xerox,

contact lenses,

Frisbees and

the pill.

There was no such thing as:

radar,

credit cards,

laser beams or

ball-point pens.

Man had not invented:

pantyhose,

air conditioners,

dishwashers,

clothes dryers,

and man hadn't yet walked on the moon.

Your Grandmother and I got married first-and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, 'Sir'- and after I turned 25, I still called policemen, firemen and every man with a title, "Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during "Lent."

Having a meaningful relationship meant get! ting alo ng with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends---not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of satellite radios, FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings, ugh.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Coca-Cola & Pepsi Cola were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 but who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

And in my day:

"grass" was mowed,

"coke" was a cold soft drink,

"pot" was something your mother cooked in and

"rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

"chip" meant a piece of wood,

"hardware" was found in a hardware store and

"software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock !!!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
This man would be only 58 years old!

OntarioGreys
August 14th, 2006, 09:34 PM
And and 58 years old, his memory may be slightly going south , in 1965 he was about 16 /17 years old the beginning of the hippie era a time of free love, sex and drugs

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 14th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Actually isnt grandpa 80 television was invented in 1926 :)

http://www.pubquizhelp.34sp.com/hist/invent.html

technodoll
August 14th, 2006, 09:45 PM
ow... math.. hurts.. my head! :frustrated:

rainbow
August 14th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Actually isnt grandpa 80 television was invented in 1926

I think it was even before that but how many households had a TV in 1948? :D

Puppyluv
August 14th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Not to mention nylons in 1938... that would make Grandpa at least 68.

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 11:00 AM
Where does it say nylons? :confused:

CyberKitten
August 15th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I saw panythose - which contain nylons but I have no idea when they first occured. I prefer not to wear them , can't imagine the things my mother and grandmothers wore!! Gater belts et al, ugh!!! I have taken several theology courses (an avocation of mine, lol) - and one of my fav profs - a Roman Catholic nun - who specialized in Old Testament always reminded us that observing the 10 commandments makes one a good Jewish person!! (which is so true given that they do appear in the Old Testament).

I do have to quibble with the Big Band thing - as much as I don't mind Glen Miller and Tommy Dorsey et ak), that is more from thr 40's and early 50's so grandpa would have to be more than 58. My eldest sister is 55 and that is WAY before her time. I saw my first MacDonald's in the early 60's and you could not eat in - it was a take out at the NY World's Fair (maybe 1964???) but I am not sure so grandpa at 58 would surely know those - esp if he lived in the US. My 55 year old sister remembers (as do I, lol) pop or soda being 15 cents but I can honestly recall chips (as in tater chips in a bag, not french fries - my dad, being Irish - as in born in Dublin) cals French Fries chips.

And yes I do recall man - and it was man, sigh - who walked on the moon (conspiracy theories to the contrary tho there are some ionteresting arguments as to why this may not eveb have happened and today, it was announced NASA has managed to loose the tape of Neil Armstrong getting off the lunar landing module - is that the one with the shadow I wonder? (not possible to have shadows on the moon) - anyway, that is an entire subject, kind of like the 911/JFK/Diana conspiracy industry) - in 1969 (July 20 - it is a friend's birthday but I think I'll always remember that date.) But my grandmother had a dryer much before then as did we.

I guess it is an interesting read but there are some errors. Someone needs to audit and edit it - have you verified it with Snopes? (think it's scope- web site that verifies internet hoaxes et al).

Puppyluv
August 15th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Where does it say nylons? :confused:
Sorry, I meant pantyhose.

Puppyluv
August 15th, 2006, 12:50 PM
The modernday dishwasher was patented in 1886... so we're looking at 120!
Unless of course you take the phrase "man had not yet invented..." litterally.. it was invented by a woman, who proclaimed in disgust "If nobody else is going to invent a dishwashing machine, I'll do it myself."

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Sorry, I meant pantyhose.

Yeah, nylons were those horrible things that got held up with a garter belt. :eek: Panyhose was finally invented in 1959. ;)

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM
The modernday dishwasher was patented in 1886... so we're looking at 120!
Unless of course you take the phrase "man had not yet invented..." litterally.. it was invented by a woman, who proclaimed in disgust "If nobody else is going to invent a dishwashing machine, I'll do it myself."

Yes, it was but was only used commercially until the 1950's when it started being used in ordinary households.

www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/speeches/01-62.htm

Puppyluv
August 15th, 2006, 01:18 PM
Yes, it was but was only used commercially until the 1950's when it started being used in ordinary households.

www.uspto.gov/web/offices/com/speeches/01-62.htm

True, but Grandpa said it hadn't been invented yet. Just because he and his friends didn't have one, didn't mean it didn't exist :p

technodoll
August 15th, 2006, 01:28 PM
i think this grandpa in the anecdote was just an example of simple, rural folk who lived the quiet farming kinda life... not knowing or caring much about modern inventions you know? too poor to afford them and too proud to care anyways! :o

rainbow
August 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM
True, but Grandpa said it hadn't been invented yet. Just because he and his friends didn't have one, didn't mean it didn't exist :p

LOL....Grandpa must be senile :D or else, a M.C.P. :eek:

Joey.E.CockersMommy
August 15th, 2006, 06:48 PM
whats an M.C.P and when was it invented? :D